Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it just me or are HP finished?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2011, 10:20 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or are HP finished?

They used to be a role model of innovation and as an employer. People used to make videos about them and what a great company they were.

Now they have fired yet another CEO - it's as bad a Chelski.

They have also got a new strategy to move out of hardware and into software.

The only software I have used on general sale that is worse than HP is Orange (and Orange set a very LOW standard).

Time to short, short, short!
Old 23 September 2011, 10:25 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of hype surrounding HP. We used their consultancy services on large e-commerce Projects and was not very impressed. Lovely offices and great hospitality but lacking in expertise IMHO. Most of the time they regurgitated work we had already done with little or no expert input. Leeches that are consultants !
Old 23 September 2011, 10:33 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Wurzel on here works for HP when he can drag himself away from the brothel that is just down the road from their office in Germany.

They are still making money, but are seemingly making mistake after mistake.
Old 23 September 2011, 10:38 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

HP Sauce?

I hear it's got a new ingredient?
Old 23 September 2011, 10:39 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

HP Sauce?

Old 23 September 2011, 10:47 AM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Trout
They used to be a role model of innovation and as an employer. People used to make videos about them and what a great company they were.

Now they have fired yet another CEO - it's as bad a Chelski.

They have also got a new strategy to move out of hardware and into software.

The only software I have used on general sale that is worse than HP is Orange (and Orange set a very LOW standard).

Time to short, short, short!
AFAIK, HP are only considering spinning off the PSG group (desktop PCs and laptops). The Enterprise Business group which covers servers, networking storage (etc) turned over $57 billion in FY 2010.
Old 23 September 2011, 10:51 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

The fact HP are moving from hardware isn't 100% correct, there laptop range and pc's are been rebranded, they are dropping the tablet range all together. They are going to continue to brand there servers and storage as HP but for there image's sake they are focusing on software.

Trending Topics

Old 23 September 2011, 11:13 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

They bought EDS a few years back, (after I left EDS) & with that came a lot of government contracts. EDS were/are the preferred supplier of IT systems to the government. I know they are still involved with DWP stuff & defense too. I don't think they are going to go under anytime soon, I expect them to shed a load of staff in the near future though.
Old 23 September 2011, 12:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
They bought EDS a few years back, (after I left EDS) & with that came a lot of government contracts. EDS were/are the preferred supplier of IT systems to the government. I know they are still involved with DWP stuff & defense too. I don't think they are going to go under anytime soon, I expect them to shed a load of staff in the near future though.
I have worked on a few projects with EDS, we all thought it stood for Everything Done Slowly

IBM sold of the desktop/laptop business to Lenovo, so nothing really new
Old 23 September 2011, 01:02 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by boxst
Wurzel on here works for HP when he can drag himself away from the brothel that is just down the road from their office in Germany.

They are still making money, but are seemingly making mistake after mistake.

I will have you know I have never been to the brothel!! But have been dragged out of the table dance club underneath a few times, and been told off by the staff for getting off with and having my hand in the bra of a US Military Policewoman whilst sitting in a booth! I think it was mainly because most of the punters were watching us and not the dancing girls at the time
Old 23 September 2011, 01:21 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I heard they are losing their service mgt expertise to BMC and ServiceNow also.
Old 23 September 2011, 02:22 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

HP's servers are the best and so will most definitley not be stopping hardware supply. It's their desktops and laptops that have dropped in quality and could understand them dropping out that market.
Old 23 September 2011, 03:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Their low end stuff really is crap these days; HP in its day were built like tanks.

Nowadays it flimsy and unreliable with built-in obsolescence.

Their inkjets are a prime example - I just chucked a deskjet 510. No reason other than I had no drivers for it. It must have done over a million prints and stil in perfect working order had cheap cartridges, rarely jammed, and when it did could withstand the abuse of office staff tring to yank 500sheets of paper through the rollers in one go. Where later HP inkets would always snap little plastic tags which flip the paper out, now there are four of these and it would still work with only one remaining, but if that snaps the printer is junk as no parts are available. This is with barely 50,000 pages under its belt. The nail in teh coffin is profiteering from the ink - making the ink tanks on newer printers hold less ink, but charge as much for them and using the colour cartridge to wastefully print greyscale, even in draft mode.

The printer/scanner drivers have got increasingly bloaty - they'll even kill a dual core CPU from the inefficient resource hogging and makes the PC take forever to boot.

Their laptops got a bad rep - partly to do crappy Nvidia graphics chips which was common at the time, apart from HP used them more than most manufacturers.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 September 2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 23 September 2011, 03:53 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is enlightening, i work for HP and find out more info from these types of topics than i do from my own managers !
Old 23 September 2011, 04:49 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Ali-B - I too HATE with a passion the HP print driver software - over the last 4 -5 years a typical printer/scanner inkjet driver is over 700MB.... for a frickin printer driver!!

REALLY!!!!

I hate it when one our our users has trouble or needs it re-installing - its a clear 30min install, no ifs or buts..... it boils my ****.
Old 23 September 2011, 08:50 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Ali-B - I too HATE with a passion the HP print driver software - over the last 4 -5 years a typical printer/scanner inkjet driver is over 700MB.... for a frickin printer driver!!

REALLY!!!!

I hate it when one our our users has trouble or needs it re-installing - its a clear 30min install, no ifs or buts..... it boils my ****.
That's not the driver though, that's all the bloatware that is bundled with it. You can download just the driver on it's own.
Old 23 September 2011, 09:12 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Arrow

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
HP Sauce?

How wrong you are!!!

The pu55ies have caved into the nanny state attack on salt and have reduced the amount - but they STILL call it the Original HP!

Original - my fat hairy ****!

All I would do is grate some sea salt into it so would probably end up having a higher intake.

Don't get between me and my condiments or I'll A-Salt you.
Old 23 September 2011, 09:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
How wrong you are!!!

The pu55ies have caved into the nanny state attack on salt and have reduced the amount - but they STILL call it the Original HP!

Original - my fat hairy ****!

All I would do is grate some sea salt into it so would probably end up having a higher intake.

Don't get between me and my condiments or I'll A-Salt you.
LOL, it's the final insult after they tried to mess with Earl Grey.

BTW yes have an cheap HP injet, is utter crap, jams all the time, wouldn't print for no reason for about 6 months, ****.
Old 23 September 2011, 09:24 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

We used to HP Workstations for our traders and some developers. There were great, real solid and reliable workstations. Now we're using crappy Lenovo ****e Thinkstations. HP make good printers and workstations and blade servers, everything else is ****. We recently tendered to a number of service providers, one of whom were HP, for IT services. HP were the only ones who failed to come back to us within the specified time. They were apparently still drafting their proposal.
Old 23 September 2011, 10:16 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

just purchased another HP printer all in one and I think it is very good
Old 24 September 2011, 04:59 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I think they've got a few problems. Taking over EDS was rumoured to have been a good deal for the used car salesman who sold it to them. i.e. They didn't quite get what they thought.

Then they pissed off their entire workforce with mandatory/voluntary salary reductions (depending on country), a huge redundancy programme and simultaneous transfer of skills to India (where they've spent rather a lot).

I think they've too many things going on at once to do them all quickly or efficiently and <laugh> to budget or schedule. There's evidently an amount of in-fighting ongoing between various borad members and major backers.

J.
Old 24 September 2011, 01:37 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

And we just got a new woman CEO! Wonder how much damage this one will do before walking away with a learjet and millions in payoffs.