Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Losing a pet

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2011, 11:00 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy Losing a pet

What an utter nightmare I lost my rabbit last night to either a fox or cat attack (I think cat but vet insists fox), other one injured and massively stressed and could still die from the stress and the third one ok but witnessed it all and was very stressed last night and doesn't understand where his buddy has gone.

All 3 were in their individual runs and at about 8ish last night I heard the dog go nuts in the utility room. Went out and she was throwing herself at the back door in an utter state. Didn't know what was up with her until I opened the door and see her bolt across the garden and chase something over the fence.

Turns out she knew what was hapening and wanted to go out and help her friends (she lays with them in the sun in the garden and are all good together) The dog is still not right this morning hunting round the garden and coming to me for more fuss than usual.

I knew one rabbit was out as saw him bolt across the garden into the hedge but had no idea how or why. Got to his run, the roof was slid sideways about a foot. Went to Dillon's and his roof was open, got in and felt inside the hiding area and no where to be seen. Went to the third one and got him indoors sharpish thinking the other 2 had just escaped and were running round. Came out with a torch to find my Dillon laying on his side eyes wide open dead Looks like he had a heart attack as no wounds/injuries on him what so ever. I'm in bits over him.

I know many will say it's only a bloody rabbit but he was mine and he was the most gentle creature i've come across with not an ounce of aggression in him (the other two have plenty). It hurts just as much as when previous dogs have passed away and I never expected it to being 'just a rabbit'. He died terrified and that's what hurts.

The injured one has been to the vets and seems to be injury free, bloody mouth could be that of his attacker as can't find any sign of where it has come from on him so could have bitten what ever was after him - if it is I hope he got it good and the ****** gets infected and dies a painful slow death. The stress could kill him for a 48 hour period from the attack so he isn't safe yet

One half of me wants revenge the other half knows that's bloody stupid and can't kill innocent animals in the hope of getting the attacker.

They give you so much joy but when they go it tears you to pieces

*sorry for the rambling, just needed somewhere to let it out*
Old 16 September 2011, 12:16 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah not good. I think today's domestic rabbits have had the wildness and ability to cope "out there" bred out them.

We lost a rabbit earlier this year to a fox. First day we got them we came out in twilight and found the fox sat on top of the hutch which is right next to the house. Warned the kids constantly after that about making sure it was all shut up.

Lucy (my daughters rabbit) was great, brilliant personality for a small child to handle and take care of. Came out one morning and the door was half open. Charged round the garden looking for her, only to find scraps of bloody flesh near the fence.

Lots of crying and sadness all round. I know it's only a rabbit (and I'm a grown man) and this is what happens to them in the wild, but she was a cute little thing my kids loved. I also half blame myself as I knew the locks on the hutch were poor. Queue trip to B&Q spending £15 on new bolts for all doors and big lecture to the kids about making sure the doors are checking and double checked at night.

Our other rabbit was visibly traumatised, though not hurt, and later you could see he lacked company. I hope your others are OK and get over the trauma soon.
Old 16 September 2011, 12:23 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it helps, your rabbit will have hit shock the second the animal grabbed it, it wont have felt a thing.
Old 16 September 2011, 12:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats horrible, doesnt matter what the animal was if you were attached to him/her, you will get over it eventually but it may take a while. I get paranoid about the Dog you get so attached to pets, I have just emailed the neighbours and asked them to slow down a bit as if he escapes (which with the best will int he world we cannot 100 percent stop) he will get splanntered by a Range Rover Sport doing about 40 down a cul-de-sac, had a reply and they seem to be supportive and kind of admitted they go a bit fast, if it seems like that from up there in a RR its pretty alarming from outside when they blast past.
Old 16 September 2011, 12:49 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
If it helps, your rabbit will have hit shock the second the animal grabbed it, it wont have felt a thing.
Nothing touched him, there were no injuries and not even wet fur where something had put him in it's mouth. Looks like he ran for his life until his heart gave up, he was 7 1/2 bless him.

The dog wont leave the other 2 alone now, keeps going upto them and checking them.
Old 16 September 2011, 01:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Nothing touched him, there were no injuries and not even wet fur where something had put him in it's mouth. Looks like he ran for his life until his heart gave up, he was 7 1/2 bless him.

The dog wont leave the other 2 alone now, keeps going upto them and checking them.
That's even better then, he ran, which is what rabbits do .. he wont have suffered at all ..
Old 16 September 2011, 01:33 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Thats horrible. I am sorry for your loss. I hope the other rabbit is ok.

Don't know how well it works, but foxes hate the smell of humans. They say that some human hair clippings, in stockings or tights hung can help deter them. Could you hang some off the hutch? Not the nicest of things to look at, but if it helps...

Going even further, they are supposed to hate the smell of male urine. Fancy peeing against the hutch!?!
Old 16 September 2011, 02:24 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Please fellas relax. Don't need a flame war in here. The vet told me he would have had the heart attack, would have layed down on his side as how I found him and breathed fast until he passed away Not what I wanted to hear as it means he suffered alone for a few minutes and I wasn't there to help him. As such a harmless little fella it makes all the more sad he couldn't protect himself like i'm assuming the other one did.

Security lights at the back of the house, the rabbits aren't in hutches, just runs during the day and live a cosy life in the house. Last night was a horrible end for one of them which is distressing to think about.

Seems my biggest mistake was to think no harm would ever come to them out there, 4 years at this house and never one fox in the back garden that i've seen - only out the front. The other 2 will be closely watched now and I will be finding ways of securing their lids so it's even difficult for me to get the lids off and the dog will be left with them at all times they are out. Not much more I can do other than start trapping and killing everything that comes in the garden - yes the thought did cross my mind.
Old 16 September 2011, 02:28 PM
Kirstiestar
Scooby Regular

Thats really sad Some people dont always understand how others get so attached to animals but mine are all part of my family!
Hope the other one pulls through poor thing x
Old 16 September 2011, 06:42 PM
Bryony84
Scooby Regular

To try and take this thread back to the original point...

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I remember when my cat was hit by a car and it was hit and miss if he'd survive (he did but lost a hind leg) there were a few people in the 'its just a cat' camp, but if you have pets you do form an emotional bond with them.

I hope the other 2 bunnies are ok, I'd probably advise not letting them stay in their run after dusk, as this is when the predators start prowling and there would be less chance of an attack in the daylight. I keep my 2 cats in after dusk (higher risk of being hit by a car rather than predators, but same principle). If the dog can be out in the garden with them when they are in their runs, it sounds like this would be great too as he seems to be a very good guard dog if he was so keen to get outside to help them.
Old 16 September 2011, 09:23 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cleaned up

I'm really sorry you had to see your pet die like that and the worry you have over the all the others.

Still though, the way the dog knew and was trying to save them.... that's something else.
Old 16 September 2011, 09:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Cleaned up

I'm really sorry you had to see your pet die like that and the worry you have over the all the others.

Still though, the way the dog knew and was trying to save them.... that's something else.
Old 16 September 2011, 09:32 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh, and apologies to anyone who lost a valid post... there were lots of quotes and the like - removing EVERYTHING seemed easiest.

Back to the OP: My first g/f's father bred rabbits and he had (I seem to remember) a unique breed (?) and a fox got in and killed so many of them. I remember her being in total bits... not really because of the rabbits, which was bad enough - but because she saw her Father sat in the garden holding some of the dead rabbits in his hands and just sobbing....
Old 16 September 2011, 09:58 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

My cat hasnt come back home for 36 hours, Ill have to pop out for a look tomorrow. She usually stays in but darted out for a bit and hasnt come back yet.
Old 17 September 2011, 12:10 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kieran for cleaning up and for the kind words. Yep I sobbed in the garden as well when i picked up his limp body realising he was dead and nothing could be done. I've been surprised by the dog, i know she is protective over my kids but never knew she was so protective over the bunnies.

I'm taking Dillon to a pet crematorium in the morning as burying him in the garden isn't possible due to hard ground and not being able to dig deep enough so going to scatter his ashes in the garden where he enjoyed his freedom with the other two.

Myles I hope your cat turns up. I had one of a pair of brothers disappear for 3 weeks many years ago only for him to turn up one morning at the back door!
Old 17 September 2011, 12:29 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Ali and I have agreed to bury Laurel and Hardy (Cats) and Max (Dog) in our back garden.

Max has been been going crazy recently, jumping up at the french doors in the dining room - rushing into the kitchen - nearly knocking me over (he's only a patterdale so no more than a foot high including legs) and jumping up at the door to the garden.

Max and Hardy have an "Understanding" if Max tries it on - Hardy gives it a claw swipe
Laurel is a timid thing and runs at the slightest thing which provokes Max's chase instinct.

We have had the cats and dog separated for the last few years in the house.

I assumed Max was doing his nut as he had seen Laurel in the back garden - How wrong I was. It was a frigging FOX chasing Hardy in our garden.

I live in Welwyn Garden City

WHY have I got foxes trying to kill my pets in my garden?
Old 17 September 2011, 01:58 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

it`ll be a fox mate , clever *******s, one killed mine years ago.

sorry to hear but at least its better than a human doing it , like some ******* shot my cat, if i put a photo of my cat you wouldnt believe someone could be so cruel, that was 5 years ago, still guts me now
Old 17 September 2011, 12:09 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Yeah everyone i've spoken to insists it had to have been a fox to open their runs the way it did.

Been to the crematorium this morning and what a wonderful place, so friendly and understanding and caring and in a beautiful rural setting. I took Dillon out of the bag i'd put him in fearing he may have started decomposing etc but he was still in good appearance and hardly any smell. Had a big cuddle with him and placed him curled up on a blanket in an air conditioned room where he stays until Monday when he will be cremated. I ******* balled my eyes out saying goodbye to my little friend.

And the 3 herberts together (Harry's the harlequin one i'm still hand feeding to get him out of his shock)

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 17 September 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 17 September 2011, 12:58 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I may be a sentimental fool, but that last post has me welling up mate. Glad you sort of got some closure by going to the crematorium and doing it right.

My cat came back this morning by the way, I started having that sinking feeling this morning before she meowed through the patio door.
Old 17 September 2011, 02:26 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Personally I have never had a rabbit, but I do and have had a number of pets so can understand the pain, you're an emotional guy/girl and its actually refreshing to see someone admit it, rather than play at keyboard worrier.

Not sure I'd go as far as you with the cremation and such, but if it helps you mate, its a good thing.
Old 17 September 2011, 02:36 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I love my pets as i've been brought up with pets since a baby so they've always been important to me so yep get very emotional when I lose one i'm so close to. It's the first time i've used a crematorium and would normally have buried him in the garden but the ground is too hard and I wouldn't want him dug up by cats or foxes. I wasn't about to chuck him in the bin so a crematorium was the only solution.
Old 17 September 2011, 02:58 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We've lost a lot of chickens to foxes. We love our chickens as they lay fabulous eggs. The only way we've dealt with it is by having fewer chickens and keeping them in a large high fenced pen. It's like Alcatraz. I'd swear one of them is keeping budgies.
On the other side of the coin, our cat keeps bringing rabbits in from the fields. More often than not dead, but we have had the occasional rabbit hunt going on in the lounge/stairway/bathroom/various bedrooms.
We therefore keep predators as well as prey.
Of course, any pet is a pet, and you become attached to them.
We also keep horses. When they've had enough of this world it's a right palaver, as you can't flush them down like a goldfish. I've had to deal with five of them so far, so I'm becoming a dab hand.
I have to say, becoming just a bit maudlin, that they get a better deal than we do. The horse in question has decided it's had enough. When they do, they lie down, and won't get up. You call the Vet. Along he/she comes and gives an injection. There then follows a quiet peaceful death, lying in the sweet grass, by the river, listening to birds singing. It certainly beats a hospital bed, and the bloody medical profession practising on you. They can sod off as far as I'm concerned.
Old 17 September 2011, 03:07 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
We've lost a lot of chickens to foxes. We love our chickens as they lay fabulous eggs. The only way we've dealt with it is by having fewer chickens and keeping them in a large high fenced pen. It's like Alcatraz. I'd swear one of them is keeping budgies.
On the other side of the coin, our cat keeps bringing rabbits in from the fields. More often than not dead, but we have had the occasional rabbit hunt going on in the lounge/stairway/bathroom/various bedrooms.
We also keep horses. When they've had enough of this world it's a right palaver, as you can't flush them down like a goldfish. I've had to deal with five of them so far, so I'm becoming a dab hand.
I have to say, becoming just a bit maudlin, that they get a better deal than we do. The horse in question has decided it's had enough. When they do, they lie down, and won't get up. You call the Vet. Along he/she comes and gives an injection. There then follows a quiet peaceful death, lying in the sweet grass, by the river, listening to birds singing. It certainly beats a hospital bed, and the bloody medical profession practising on you. They can sod off as far as I'm concerned.
Bloody hell Alan, I'll take that death any day of the week.
Old 17 September 2011, 03:21 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Can i come round yours when i've had enough and lay in the grass whilst you call the vet out? If it helps i'll where a panto horse outfit As you say far nicer than what people have to go through.
Old 17 September 2011, 03:29 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I too have a rabbit that is now 8! 4yrs ago she broke her leg and it cost us £300 to fix or £60 to put her to sleep as the vet said most small animals don't survive the anastetic.

Beans runs around the garden freely and has her two story cage with flap so she can get in and out easily. (we did have two rabbits).

Jack and Lucy our beagles are amazing with her and like the OP they love laying with her in the sun.

We have been fortunate that the neighbours cats just seem to watch her, but this could be because Jack and Lucy will not let them in the garden lol...

The rabbit in the above pics are cool but if I had gaps like that under my fence Beans would be gone!

It does **** me off though when people say 'oh its just an animal' No actually it'sd part of my family..

Last edited by RobsyUK; 17 September 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 17 September 2011, 04:58 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

If those gaps went anywhere they would escape but the pics are misleading. One of the pics is sleepers with a flower bed over the gap and the other is the fence on top of the raised flower bed with concrete behind the fence so again there actualy isn't anywhere to go. They have escaped out the front of the house previously but soon ran back to the safety of the back garden and I then found that gap and closed it.

I think i've found where a fox would get into the garden, a gap in the hedgerow down the side shows a low section in the wooden fence the other side of the hedge and there is ivy growing all along it but has been broken away from this low section on the fence as though something has repeatedly rubbed against it.
Old 17 September 2011, 05:26 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Myles
Bloody hell Alan, I'll take that death any day of the week.
OK, I can fit you in on Thursday, please bring Scooby logbook..
Old 17 September 2011, 05:31 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

OK, I can fit you in on Thursday, please bring Scooby logbook..
You'll be putting the car out of its misery too when you see it!
Old 17 September 2011, 05:42 PM
RetroMk1
Scooby Regular

Sad to hear sorry, I would add some extra security to the runs now to keep the others safe, if its a fox them it might try to come back, just to be safe!
Old 17 September 2011, 07:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fear I have lost my pet DCI to a moderator, his bark was worse than his bite, really actually quite a sensitive soul and gentle with the kittens.

Quick Reply: Losing a pet