Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Plasma or LCD or LED

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2011, 09:22 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasma or LCD or LED

I know this subject has been done to death but I can't find the answer from a search. Not bought or taken any interest in tv's since I bought our last one 7/8 years ago.

We need a new 32 maybe 40 inch at most tv, just got Sky HD so which one is best or will I be able to not see a difference? Dont want to spend more than £400 but £300 sounds better

Cheers, Chop
Old 14 September 2011, 09:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Panny plasma.
Old 14 September 2011, 09:36 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a shop, pick the one you like, bring it home.
Old 14 September 2011, 10:24 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Are the differences that subtle that it really doesn't matter?
Old 14 September 2011, 10:46 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
Are the differences that subtle that it really doesn't matter?
No the differences can be massive but you are the one who will be watching it so go view a few TV's and see what you like. As they say, One mans meat is another mans poison......and if that meat belongs to Will, the chances are the poison is seriously strong STDs.

For the size you are looking at, LED/LCD is going to be your choices. There are very few good LCD screens made but the Sony KDL40EX503 is well worth a view. Otherwise LG have a new range of LEDs out which are rather nice starting with the 32LV550T that are very nice looking once ran in.
Old 14 September 2011, 11:03 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Depends on what you want to watch ...

Sport
Movies

Then it will be plasma.... blacks are black and ***** dont leave trails

if you want style but no substance, then you want LED

if you want price over picture then you want LCD

Panny plasma, there SD picture is the same as a HD LCD lol

and go for as big as you can

we have a 42", it seemed huge whn we out it up....

now wish id got the 50"

Mart
Old 14 September 2011, 11:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

£400-£300 won't get a decent plasma - most will be 720p and from teh ones I did see around those prices were not too brilliant with the brightness/contrast ratio. So really you are looking to push for a LED screen as the main option.
Old 14 September 2011, 11:22 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify LCD and LED are the same thing TFT,S ( thin film transistor).

The difference is the backlight used. Original Tft,s used CCFL tubes for the backlights newer TFT,s use LED,s for the backlight.

LED,s use less power and generate less heat they also in some circumstances ast longer. As to wether you can tell the difference with the naked eye is debatable....

All displays will use LED backlights within the next two years.

Tv manufacturers have coined the term LED to try and make it sound like somthing new fangled.....not really.

Buy what you think looks good...

Not being a smart **** just work for an industrial TFT supplier
Old 14 September 2011, 11:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Tell me, why do manufacturers keep trying to push edge lit LED tvs over matrix lit ones.

I binned the idea of buying high-end LED lit TV because almost all of them of them were edge lit, and as such have the same flaws as conventional CCFL LCDs (admittedly improved with the use of local area dimming, bit still bleeding and blacks are an issue).

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 September 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 14 September 2011, 11:31 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

NSR's love affair with Panasonic TV's is terrible at times. The fact is Panasonic make more poor quality TV's than they make good ones. Out of the new range anything from the G30 down can be bettered by other brands. Its like telling someone to ua Subaru because you have a Subaru WRX STi but the buyer only as the budget for a Justy.

Bigger is generally not better either, infact most of the time it is worse.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 14 September 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 14 September 2011, 11:33 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Tell me, why do manufacturers keep trying to push edge lit LED tvs over matrix lit ones.

I binned the idea of buying high-end LED lit TV becuase almost all of them of them were edge lit, and as such have the same flaws as conventional LCDs (admittedly with local area dimming, bit still bleeding and blacks are an issue).
Because they are cheap it stems from smaller displays that have replacable led lightbars....
Most large size tvs use panels from 1 of 4 manufacturers....samsung,lg, auo optronics and cmo. These are the guys that drive the tech...
They may see more competition soon as toshiba, sony and hitachi are becoming 1 company next year ( in displays) then you may see some exiting new products. Hitachi and sony in particular have some pretty good future technology....google hitachi ips...

The key to a good picture is the drive electronics this can make or break even a really good bare panel
Old 14 September 2011, 11:36 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I binned the idea of buying high-end LED lit TV because almost all of them of them were edge lit, and as such have the same flaws as conventional CCFL LCDs (admittedly improved with the use of local area dimming, bit still bleeding and blacks are an issue).
I *think* it's to do with thickness and price. Although I could be wrong.
Old 14 September 2011, 11:44 PM
the hamster
BANNED

I'm a tv aerial/sky installer and see different tvs/sizes/setups every day.

Over the last 4 years I've come to a few conclusions based on price, picture quality and reliability.

Samsung and LG make the best value for money TV's based on picture quality, build quality and asthetics. Panasonic and Sony make the "volvos" of TV's, theyre boxy but theyre good but the asthetics wont win any prizes.

IMO Plasma still wins in the "what the best picture" category as even now I rarely see an LED/LCD which will perform to the same level. Many LCD's I've seen (especially some Panasonics) give a poor resolution on the built in Freeview, to the point of it looking like a low res video on Youtube.

If you go to a shop for a demo, DONT GET DUPED BY THE HD BLUERAY DEMO! Ask them to watch the normal freeview on the tv or an SD picture. If you're happy with that then the HD picture should blow your socks off.

Richersounds have some good deals on TV's and are worth looking at.
Old 15 September 2011, 12:07 AM
scotty44
Scooby Regular

We need a new 32 maybe 40 inch at most tv, just got Sky HD so which one is best or will I be able to not see a difference? Dont want to spend more than £400 but £300 sounds better

Cheers, Chop
Tesco - 40" £299 spot on for the £££ ... go in store and have a look/play
Old 15 September 2011, 07:48 AM
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps,

Leaning towards plasma as I will be watching a lot of HD sport. Prefer the look of LCD/LED

Chop
Old 15 September 2011, 07:53 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

NSR's love affair with Panasonic TV's is terrible at times. The fact is Panasonic make more poor quality TV's than they make good ones. Out of the new range anything from the G30 down can be bettered by other brands. Its like telling someone to ua Subaru because you have a Subaru WRX STi but the buyer only as the budget for a Justy.

Bigger is generally not better either, infact most of the time it is worse.

How true!!

Had 2 Panny plasma's and both had faults....

The New gen panny's the VT range are failing at an incredible rate,there shockingly bad.

Still have a Panny LCD 1080p in the bedroom,and the picture quality is acceptable.

Have a Samsung LED edge lit LCD in the main rom now... Superb in every way,just cant think of a downside.
All this talk of ***** leaving trails and motion blurring is old hat..I watched Man U v Benfica last night and picture was awesome.... And like a true nerd i was watching but "trying" to fault the picture.....

My last faulty Panny!!
Old 15 September 2011, 08:15 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Depends on what you want to watch ...

Sport
Movies

Then it will be plasma.... blacks are black and ***** dont leave trails

if you want style but no substance, then you want LED

if you want price over picture then you want LCD

Panny plasma, there SD picture is the same as a HD LCD lol

and go for as big as you can

we have a 42", it seemed huge whn we out it up....

now wish id got the 50"

Mart
You on crack? Worse advice I've ever seen.

What's this trailing footballs you speak of , I've not seen one LCD, led do that.

As for size refer to SN pikey index.

My advice is anything up to 40" as led or LCD will
Give you a good picture anythig other I'd Reccommend plasma.

I recently got a samsung 46" 3D brilliant picture and it was LCD which I was surprised at but bought it as it was a bargain.

The picture dare I say it is better than my plasma
Old 15 September 2011, 08:22 AM
Scooby Regular

Whats this like?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...53k/lg-42pt353

Cheers, Chop
Old 15 September 2011, 08:24 AM
Scooby Regular

The last couple of posts have thrown me

So LCD 40 inch is ok.

Chop
Old 15 September 2011, 08:29 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
How true!!

Had 2 Panny plasma's and both had faults....

The New gen panny's the VT range are failing at an incredible rate,there shockingly bad.

Still have a Panny LCD 1080p in the bedroom,and the picture quality is acceptable.

Have a Samsung LED edge lit LCD in the main rom now... Superb in every way,just cant think of a downside.
All this talk of ***** leaving trails and motion blurring is old hat..I watched Man U v Benfica last night and picture was awesome.... And like a true nerd i was watching but "trying" to fault the picture.....

My last faulty Panny!!

You get that from lots of Sky boxes with various TVs over scart. Not just Panny (one of our Samsung CRTs did it, as does My mum's partner's LG plasma), whereas our old Philips CRT didn't nor my Hitachi plasma. I can't say if my current Panny does it as we no longer have Sky.

I belive its a cross talk issue between the composite and RGB signals, not with the lead (altough a poorly shielded one will not help) but on the circuit board. I've remove the composite wires from the lead as well as all others wires within the scart lead that aren't required to cure this problem in the past.

As for Panny; like all brands there are good and bad, so when looking at low-end sets (which a £400 TV will boardering on that) there are going to be shortcommings. A Panny of that price, will do the job with no frills, but will lack features and image superiority. Samsung at that end of the market will typically be feature and function rich in comparison, but will lack the quality (especially with the remote's ergonomics and durability) with LG sitting somewhere inbetween.

As such I abore people who just say buy a particular brand. Its as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. Quoting past experience of exact model numbers is what is helpful.

For example:

TX-P42v20 - superb picture, crap audio, noisy power supply. DNLA is glitchy, very fussy on video formats (i.e won't play video off my camera).

LG 50PK350 - Superb value for money Plasma. Better auido than teh above. But slow to change channel on DVB. Lack of HDMI inputs and sufferss motion blur (although much better than the judder found on similar priced LCD/LEDs).

Hitachi CL32PD2100 (antique plasma ): Crap picture, crap contrast, weighs more than a CRT, crap remote, needs a media/tuner box to work. Howver one of the best sounding Plasmas I've heard - proper 2-way front facing speakers and a sub-woofer output makes for a TV that actually doesn't need an AV system to sound good. Pity the rest of it is crap

Panasonic TX-L26C10 Bottom of the range budget LCD. Does what it says on the tin. No frills. But perfectly adquate as a basic TV

LG 19LG3000 - Cheap as chips, has far more inputs and outputs that you'll ever need from a 19" TV. No HD DVB tuner.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 September 2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 15 September 2011, 08:54 AM
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ali
Old 15 September 2011, 09:02 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an LG 42LE8900 and the picture is outstanding in both SD and HD. It is a back lit LED with local dimming and the blacks are really black. Watch a movie in a darkened room and it is very difficult to differentiate the boarder black bezel and the actual display in a dark scene when set to THX cinema mode. I thnk LCD/LED have come on leaps and bounds and IMO are better than a lot of plasma. The Panny's also have a potential issue where the circuitry will, over time, over compensate the brightness level resulting in the loss of black levels. I think the newer Pannys are better, but it will still happen.
Old 15 September 2011, 09:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It has to be personal choice what type of picture you prefer of course.

In general a plasma has a fast refresh rate compared with LCD so moving pictures are less likely to have any blurring and also the colour is more natural.

I certanily prefer plasma although LCD has improved over the years.

Les
Old 15 September 2011, 09:24 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Just bought a 46" samsung LED (5520) for £700 and cannot fault it, no trails, crispest picture I've seen with built in Freeview HD. Even better for playing the playstation on!
Old 15 September 2011, 12:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Ant:

lol ....

went into the local emporium to see what was new on the TV front,

cue salesman trying to push the latest high def LED tv

Brightness up to the max etc..

yes it was a good picture, but comparible to what i allready get on my SD panny plasma.

as for trails ... watch any fast moving objects on LCD or LED, and you will see artifacts / trails.. they cant keep up ...

Once youve seen the effect you can spot it every time

Mart
Old 15 September 2011, 01:46 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Mart I see a lot of different tv's in my line of work and never came across trailing , either you seen it on a tesco technika or a faulty screen or you've been reading on avforums too much.

A lot of the downsides to people's set ups is they have their picture settings all wrong.
Old 15 September 2011, 01:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just out of interest , is the shop picture going to be the best possible

( one would assume so )

Last edited by dpb; 15 September 2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 15 September 2011, 01:50 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

You get that from lots of Sky boxes with various TVs over scart. Not just Panny (one of our Samsung CRTs did it, as does My mum's partner's LG plasma), whereas our old Philips CRT didn't nor my Hitachi plasma. I can't say if my current Panny does it as we no longer have Sky.

I belive its a cross talk issue between the composite and RGB signals, not with the lead (altough a poorly shielded one will not help) but on the circuit board. I've remove the composite wires from the lead as well as all others wires within the scart lead that aren't required to cure this problem in the past.

As for Panny; like all brands there are good and bad, so when looking at low-end sets (which a £400 TV will boardering on that) there are going to be shortcommings. A Panny of that price, will do the job with no frills, but will lack features and image superiority. Samsung at that end of the market will typically be feature and function rich in comparison, but will lack the quality (especially with the remote's ergonomics and durability) with LG sitting somewhere inbetween.

As such I abore people who just say buy a particular brand. Its as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. Quoting past experience of exact model numbers is what is helpful.

For example:

TX-P42v20 - superb picture, crap audio, noisy power supply. DNLA is glitchy, very fussy on video formats (i.e won't play video off my camera).

LG 50PK350 - Superb value for money Plasma. Better auido than teh above. But slow to change channel on DVB. Lack of HDMI inputs and sufferss motion blur (although much better than the judder found on similar priced LCD/LEDs).

Hitachi CL32PD2100 (antique plasma ): Crap picture, crap contrast, weighs more than a CRT, crap remote, needs a media/tuner box to work. Howver one of the best sounding Plasmas I've heard - proper 2-way front facing speakers and a sub-woofer output makes for a TV that actually doesn't need an AV system to sound good. Pity the rest of it is crap

Panasonic TX-L26C10 Bottom of the range budget LCD. Does what it says on the tin. No frills. But perfectly adquate as a basic TV

LG 19LG3000 - Cheap as chips, has far more inputs and outputs that you'll ever need from a 19" TV. No HD DVB tuner.

Thats fair comment Ali........

But im running the same box and leads up to my Sammy and it doesnt do the fault that my pictured panny did..
Neither did my 1st panny plasma,that got rainbow style tinges around outlines of anything on screen..

I was a Panny fanboy................Now im cured!!!
Old 15 September 2011, 02:50 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Last TV was a panasonic 42PX70 which was really good.

Current TV is a Panasonic 50S20 which is also really good.

Very happy with my choice.
Old 15 September 2011, 04:44 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't buy from them, they hire Pikeys or so I've heard!

PS. That TV is grand with SD but pretty dull on HD.

Originally Posted by dpb
Just out of interest , is the shop picture going to be the best possible

( one would assume so )
Depends on the shop. Doubt shops have the ability or want to set them up properly. A tv comes out of the box in 'shop mode' which looks quite eye catching in stores but generally looks pretty awful in the home.

If a shop aren't willing to shop you SD, HD or whatever you're particular too, *** em.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 15 September 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Plasma or LCD or LED