Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Landlord and deposit issue....

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2011, 03:38 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landlord and deposit issue....

So i've just moved out of my flat due to my flatmate not being able to afford rent ( a whole other matter ) and its been just over a week now and i'm having issues with the landlord/deposit.

The flat was originally advertised through a letting agent and it was them that showed us around, took the deposit money, and it is also them we pay the rent to every month. I know for a fact that the deposit was paid to the deposit protection scheme so i know its safe, so that isn't the issue...

I contacted the agent the day after moving to find out what happens next, and she said the landlord will go in within the next week to see if there are any repairs needed, i thought that was fine as i have read that according to the DPS you should be told how much money of the deposit you can expect back, and once it is agreed the money is released. or the bare minimum is released should the amount be disputed.

Now it is almost at the ten days (tenth day is tomorrow) and i'm getting a bit cautious.. I contacted the agent yesterday and they told me that the landlord is going to get somebody in to check the flat (which means that as of yesterday nothing has been done) i was also kindly assured by the letting agent that they have 31 days to pay the deposit back, which is wrong according to the DPS website.

I tried to contact the landlord yesterday and left a message but nothing yet, and then here is where i'm starting to get really wound up/concerned...

i phoned the letting agent today and i asked again what was going to happen as i'm supposed to be notified when and how much money i'm getting back by tomorrow, the lady on the phone said its not her problem to deal with its between me and the landlord, and that they don't get paid to do that part.

I reminded them that i paid them the money for the deposit and paid them rent every month, but she didn't want to know.

Does anybody know the law on this, or where i stand?
Old 13 September 2011, 04:06 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums

Hit them up, you'll get a load of legal advice. If they are members of any scheme or body, I'd start my complaints there. Stop messing around with them now. Gloves off etc.

5t.
Old 13 September 2011, 04:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

letting agents really are a waste of space
Old 13 September 2011, 04:23 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

You basically need to make a nuisance of yourself and get assertive with the letting agent. They really are a waste of space (nearly all of them). I am a landlord with 3 properties and I wouldn't go near them. And I treat my tenants as my customers, because that's what they are. A pity that (most) letting agents don't see it that way.
Old 13 September 2011, 04:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Sorry to read that. Not that it's any comfort but my daughter, Tor, is having EXACTLY the same problem with her ex-landlord of a flat she has just vacated in London. Similarly a letting agency who do sweet f.a. aside from take the rent and put deposit into the deposit scheme.

Now I am being generous if I said Tor's landlord had an IQ of around 3. He will never reply to a message, does not write and can hardly speak properly. It was the s,hittiest flat I have ever seen and now he is arguing about paying all the deposit back. It would be funny except Tor needs the money to pay for bills in her new flat.

But, as said, there are good advice sites but it all takes so bloody long. If you have a friendly lawyer I would send a legal type missive directly to the landlord, with copy to agent, making all sorts of threats short of breaking his legs.

Did you have joint tenancy with your flatmate? If so and she has left without proper notice this could be a legitimate reason for holding onto your deposit.

Best of luck. dl
Old 13 September 2011, 04:51 PM
forister
Scooby Regular

go with a bat and bat the landlord
Old 13 September 2011, 11:14 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Sorry to read that. Not that it's any comfort but my daughter, Tor, is having EXACTLY the same problem with her ex-landlord of a flat she has just vacated in London. Similarly a letting agency who do sweet f.a. aside from take the rent and put deposit into the deposit scheme.

Now I am being generous if I said Tor's landlord had an IQ of around 3. He will never reply to a message, does not write and can hardly speak properly. It was the s,hittiest flat I have ever seen and now he is arguing about paying all the deposit back. It would be funny except Tor needs the money to pay for bills in her new flat.

But, as said, there are good advice sites but it all takes so bloody long. If you have a friendly lawyer I would send a legal type missive directly to the landlord, with copy to agent, making all sorts of threats short of breaking his legs.

Did you have joint tenancy with your flatmate? If so and she has left without proper notice this could be a legitimate reason for holding onto your deposit.

Best of luck. dl
Sorry to hear about your situation too. It's not fun is it?

Yes it was joint tenancy but we both left at the same time, all by the books, and for the record the flatmate is also my best mate so we wouldn't screw each other over. He's just poorer now then when we first moved in (first flat as we're only youngens )

I have since spoken to the landlord and he seems very reasonable. He thinks the letting agent are being very childish, but he has assured me he will resolve the deposit situation very swiftly, and he also said that i shouldn't worry too much about the carpets as he knew they were quite dirty before we moved in (i didn't have time to get them steam cleaned), as long as he finds no damage then all will be well

Thanks for all the posts guys, i will bare them in mind should the situation take a turn for the worse
Old 14 September 2011, 09:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Sorry to hear about your situation too. It's not fun is it?

Yes it was joint tenancy but we both left at the same time, all by the books, and for the record the flatmate is also my best mate so we wouldn't screw each other over. He's just poorer now then when we first moved in (first flat as we're only youngens )

I have since spoken to the landlord and he seems very reasonable. He thinks the letting agent are being very childish, but he has assured me he will resolve the deposit situation very swiftly, and he also said that i shouldn't worry too much about the carpets as he knew they were quite dirty before we moved in (i didn't have time to get them steam cleaned), as long as he finds no damage then all will be well

Thanks for all the posts guys, i will bare them in mind should the situation take a turn for the worse

Well that sounds all good news, well done

Sorry to see that you have caught the SN "bare" bug - first started by the old webby if anyone remembers.

Bare - naked

Bear - carry

Got a new place yet?

David (oldun)