Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

shooting in the countryside

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2011, 08:58 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shooting in the countryside

I have seen two programmes on TV in the past week where there have been country gentlemen hunting various things and proclaiming how much they care about the environment etc etc.

On both tv programs after their shotguns had been discharged, they broke them down the spent cartridges ejected and reloaded with another 2 cartridges.

The impression created by the footage shown was that the spent cartridges were left behind - hardly great care of the natural environment.

Can someone who knows settle the argument - would those empty cartridges be picked up normally off camera, or just left lying at their ****?
Old 12 September 2011, 09:01 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

usually picked up mate, I used to have pick thousands of the bloody things up after the local shoot.
Old 12 September 2011, 09:19 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

If they are shooting from the same location e.g. in Butts then they would be collected if they are rough shooting then i suspect the odd one is lost

Shooting brings massive benefits to the countryside.
Old 12 September 2011, 09:20 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

They are usually picked up (by someone else though!).
Old 12 September 2011, 10:00 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Most responsible shooters will pick up their own empty cases but its always possible that some get missed. If I ever see empty cases whether mine or not I will always pick them up.
Old 12 September 2011, 10:07 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

As a Gamekeeper, I can tell you they always get picked up on my estate !!!
Old 12 September 2011, 10:10 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

no need really to shoot fck all in the countryside

apart from tw*ts on the back of horses "hunting"

and they can leave the shells lying fro small insects to house themselves in
Old 12 September 2011, 10:22 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I leave empty cartridges lying around to act as bait for environmentalists.
Old 12 September 2011, 10:26 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I leave empty cartridges lying around to act as bait for environmentalists.

Being serious I appreciate what shooting does for the rural economy but I am an animal lover and would hate myself for taking the life away from one. I have been with people who shot when I was a teenager and only said I enjoyed it through bravado, it actually made me feel sick.

Shame on anyone who enjoys killing animals.

Chop
Old 12 September 2011, 11:35 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

This is going to be fun
Old 13 September 2011, 10:15 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper.

Being serious I appreciate what shooting does for the rural economy but I am an animal lover and would hate myself for taking the life away from one. I have been with people who shot when I was a teenager and only said I enjoyed it through bravado, it actually made me feel sick.

Shame on anyone who enjoys killing animals.

Chop
I Take it your a vegatarian then ?
Not that i have a problem with that,
I can tell you one thing that any game shot on shoots in this country are classed as wild and therefore has led a far better life than any pig,cow, chicken etc etc.

It somes times makes me a little savage that people say it is cruel and will happily sit down and eat a roast chicken that is 42days old (yes 42 days) and has spent those days in a space about the size of a plate , unless you have brought a "free range " one and then it would of spent its time in a space the size of a dusbin lid (which is alot better Isnt IT)!! and then preach that game shooting is bloody cruel my pheasants and partridge have 6000 acres to roam around in !!!!

Right rant over !!
I must now go and put that chicken in the oven,
Old 13 September 2011, 10:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would be surprised if they did not pick them up, most people connected with the countryside would be more responsible than to leave them behind.

Les
Old 13 September 2011, 10:48 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the places iv'e shot over the last 28yrs have picked them up, and will pick up ones they find that have been previously missed, as you tend to shoot the same locations over and over, so if they were not collected then there would be piles as high as hedges all over the place

Oh and the countryside would not look the way it does if it were not for the country folk that take care of it, all well and good the namby pamby types banging on about country sports and cruelty to animals, then trotting off to the local supermarket to buy there force fed chicken for sunday lunch, that cones from god knows where and has been fed more steroids than a russian female weightlifter.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 13 September 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 13 September 2011, 11:18 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

you see my idea wrongly is media fuelled, ***** on horses roaming the countryside, shooting foxes and having a good laugh about it

im wrong - and shouldnt be so easily mislead - if all animals that are shot/killed in countryside are then eaten, im all for that. im not all for killing for no reason

but its the fact its called a sport? this to me means people actually enjoy killing? that i can get my head round. my animals are killed to eat, end of. and yes some are raised in horrible conditions.

at same time every animal shot, in the a forrest or wherever, does not die instantly, many will be horribly and agonisingly injured until finally killed when found.

so my question really is, is all thats killed eaten? foxes ect too?
Old 13 September 2011, 11:25 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
All the places iv'e shot over the last 28yrs have picked them up, and will pick up ones they find that have been previously missed, as you tend to shoot the same locations over and over, so if they were not collected then there would be piles as high as hedges all over the place

Oh and the countryside would not look the way it does if it were not for the country folk that take care of it, all well and good the namby pamby types banging on about country sports and cruelty to animals, then trotting off to the local supermarket to buy there force fed chicken for sunday lunch, that cones from god knows where and has been fed more steroids than a russian female weightlifter.

not quite mate - your stereotyping things, as much as your moaning at being stereotyped about.
Old 13 September 2011, 11:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I certainly agree with you that killing animals just for the sake of it is difficult to understand, I speak as an animal lover like you of course.

Killing to eat is quite fair enough, but I cannot understand why killing for the sake of it can be regarded as an acceptable sport

les
Old 13 September 2011, 11:56 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Wild animals are hunted either for food or because they are classed as vermin. If animals are hunted as food it is usualy known as sporting because they do have a fair chance of escaping. Ask any sporting hunter and they will tell you the real challenge is being able to track or outwit their chosen prey and a lot of the time they will escape unharmed, any that are injured are not ignored but actively found and humanely dispatched.

Vermin are hunted because of just that, they have to be culled because they cause damage to either livestock or crops so killing just for the sake of it does not happen.
Old 13 September 2011, 12:38 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

well that clears up some of my points thanks.

to me tho, tracking and hunting would be better if rifles were used as opposed to shotguns, with potential large target areas, does this happen atall? thats skill imo, tracking then single shot - more challengine and rewarding i would imagine - if then eaten, plus less shot to be removed from carcass?

serious questions , because i dont know.

rats classed as vermin? are the activley hunted near farms.

what vermin that are hunted cause damage to crops?

i can see foxes eating chickens, but can cuopes not be made fox secure - then how do they become vermin?

and sorry i wasnt impolying the injured aniamls were ignored, but just that many will die horrible painful, potentail long deaths - it was just used as a counter argument to an earlier post which seem to imply hunting was seemingly alwasy humane.
Old 13 September 2011, 01:09 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Quarry that moves fast or flies are usualy hunted with shotguns over shorter ranges because the spread of shot means a clean kill is more likely. Fast moving animals or birds are not shot with rifles owing to the safety ascpect (bullets carry for many miles). Foxes, rabbits and deer are shot at longer ranges with rifles using stealth and ensuring that the shot can be taken safely and humanely.

Rats are vermin around farm buildings but owing to sheer numbers are more likely to be trapped or poisoned just as they are in towns and cities. Things like rabbits and pigeons do subsantial damage to crops but shooting them is far more effective as poisoning is both illegal and indiscriminate.

Foxes are very clever creatures and no matter how secure you have made your chicken run they will often find a way but they are also devastating to other forms of wildlife such as pheasants, partridges, ducks etc. Foxes will often kill many more birds than they can eat.
Old 13 September 2011, 01:10 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=jef;10233937]well that clears up some of my points thanks.

rats classed as vermin? are the activley hunted near farms. No hunting with dogs is banned,but you can flush with dogs,and then shoot them

what vermin that are hunted cause damage to crops?Pideons,Rabbits,Rats,Crows.

i can see foxes eating chickens, but can cuopes not be made fox secure - then how do they become vermin?Ive seen foxes chew threw chicken wire to get at pet rabbits in a hutch!How much would it cost to completly fence a 100 acre field to stop them killing lambs?

but just that many will die horrible painful, potentail long deaths

How do we know that then
Old 13 September 2011, 01:17 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

learned a bit there

still not convinced all hunters are like you, (if you are)

a lot of hunting seems to be more linked with tradition, history ect. and less to do with the actual maintanence of the countryside.

altho obv not all.

atleast i understand abit more
Old 13 September 2011, 01:26 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=stuart69;10233990]
Originally Posted by jef
well that clears up some of my points thanks.

rats classed as vermin? are the activley hunted near farms. No hunting with dogs is banned,but you can flush with dogs,and then shoot them

what vermin that are hunted cause damage to crops?Pideons,Rabbits,Rats,Crows.

i can see foxes eating chickens, but can cuopes not be made fox secure - then how do they become vermin?Ive seen foxes chew threw chicken wire to get at pet rabbits in a hutch!How much would it cost to completly fence a 100 acre field to stop them killing lambs?

but just that many will die horrible painful, potentail long deaths

How do we know that then
I dont know anything for sure

but its an educated guess on my part -that of all the hunting that goes on there will be a percentage that are not killed outright, thus having horrible painful deaths? even if just 1%, im sure that amounts to thousands of individual cases.

are you trying to tell me this is not the case.

i can see the case against lambs ect - but chicken coupes i just dont get, we sent man to the moon, have ridiculously complex engineering and computing abilites - but people cant keep a fox out a coupe?

you must surley see where im coming from there.

ok more expense maybe, but cant be that much more thats its not worth protecting your investment? or buying a shotgun, ammo, licence, horse, not to mention the time investment in hunting a fox?

this to me is where the fun part comes in, people not only do it to cull vermin, but also for enjoyment - and that is where my opinion differs
Old 13 September 2011, 01:36 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Hunting and shooting is strongly linked with conservation nowadays and helps to manage the wildlife in the countryside and keep it in balance. Animals such as deer no longer have any natural predators in this country so have to be culled to keep the herds healthy. If they weren't managed there would be a population explosion and many sick and injured animals would exist.

The old traditionional image of hunters as elite upper crust ***** is hard to shake off.

Hope that helps
Old 13 September 2011, 01:52 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Foxes can dig under coups, they are VERY clever animals and ANY weakness will be exploited. If one were to get into a coup of 100, it will kill as many as it can if not all of them unless disturbed. On a farm the Fox is usually disturbed, so kills 20-30 and carrys of 1-2, if it wasn`t disturbed would kill everything, carry 2-3 back to the den, and bury the rest for later.

The main vermin near me are squirrels (grey), and Foxes. But most farms by me have cows, so only occasionally a Badger will cause issues.

Most people don`t realise that if a grey squirrel goes into your house and is locked it, its ILLEGAL to let it out again, and MUST by law be killed.
Old 13 September 2011, 01:54 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
Hunting and shooting is strongly linked with conservation nowadays and helps to manage the wildlife in the countryside and keep it in balance. Animals such as deer no longer have any natural predators in this country so have to be culled to keep the herds healthy. If they weren't managed there would be a population explosion and many sick and injured animals would exist.

The old traditionional image of hunters as elite upper crust ***** is hard to shake off.

Hope that helps
Bring back Wolves esp in the highlands of Scotland, would be a LOT better.
As the wolf population and Deer population would always balance each other out, and only the weak and sickly and old ones would die. Nature doing what it does best, survival of the fittest.
Old 13 September 2011, 01:58 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
Foxes can dig under coups, they are VERY clever animals and ANY weakness will be exploited. If one were to get into a coup of 100, it will kill as many as it can if not all of them unless disturbed. On a farm the Fox is usually disturbed, so kills 20-30 and carrys of 1-2, if it wasn`t disturbed would kill everything, carry 2-3 back to the den, and bury the rest for later.

The main vermin near me are squirrels (grey), and Foxes. But most farms by me have cows, so only occasionally a Badger will cause issues.

Most people don`t realise that if a grey squirrel goes into your house and is locked it, its ILLEGAL to let it out again, and MUST by law be killed.

what if i dont actually lock the door, can i legally let it out lol?

how strange
Old 13 September 2011, 02:04 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
what if i dont actually lock the door, can i legally let it out lol?

how strange
If the door is closed its "Trapped". Its because its a non native species (from North America), so should be aggressively exterminated, as it kills the native Reds with "pox" and kills them due to being bigger and stronger.

So if you ever see one KILL it, do your bit for UK wildlife!!

There used to be £6 per tail, I`d be minted now if that was still on!!
Old 13 September 2011, 02:09 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

yeah i know its not native, and all but wiped out the reds.

but possibly too far gone now to reverse.

wouldnt kill anyhting tbh mate

im not into killing - unless its for my dinner - having said that never tried squirrel, and i definatley would
Old 13 September 2011, 02:34 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
yeah i know its not native, and all but wiped out the reds.

but possibly too far gone now to reverse.

wouldnt kill anyhting tbh mate

im not into killing - unless its for my dinner - having said that never tried squirrel, and i definatley would
Killing is as natural as breathing.
How many bugs does your car kill, how many bacteria does washing your hands kill?? All life is destined to die, any wild animal would atleast be doing what its supposed to be doing, instead of cultivated for 30-40 days in a shed and killed in a factory. If a tiny amount of poo touches the carcass its thrown, how is that respect for an animal, where as if its game its usually just washed for their own consumption.

If you think about it even eating plants is the destruction of life, as the plants are alive.

It was shown that removal of grey squirrels (after time to allow the pox virus to die) would make the Red spread across the UK in Decades, less if helped by man.
Old 13 September 2011, 02:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any game that is shot i would say 100% goes to the pot, on the shoots i've been on every shooter takes home at least a brace (2) pheasant and the rest if any is sold to butchers and resturants, there is never any shortage of people wanting wild game birds, rabbit or hares, deer meat is very highly sought after and although pigeons are vermin i never known anyone have a problem passing them on to someone, usually some old boy that wants to make pigeon pie and all very tasty too even tree rats as i call them get eaten by a mate of mine, who also makes a cracking pate from the the mixed livers

Quick Reply: shooting in the countryside