Threats against the USA .

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2011, 01:26 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threats against the USA .

I really hope nothing happens tomorrow.

But I can't help think they're going to try their best with it being 10 Years.
Old 10 September 2011, 01:47 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I doubt that anything major will happen. To a certain extent terrorism relies on the element of surprise. So whilst you can have a small explosion somewhere local, hijacking a 'plane or blowing up a building is unlikely.

I certainly wouldn't want to be a muslim accidently carrying a shaving razor or cutlery knife through airport security tomorrow.

Steve
Old 10 September 2011, 02:17 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Hillary Clinton said there had been a "specific, credible but unconfirmed report"!

FFS, what a bunch of whoosies

mb
Old 10 September 2011, 02:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I doubt that anything major will happen. To a certain extent terrorism relies on the element of surprise. So whilst you can have a small explosion somewhere local, hijacking a 'plane or blowing up a building is unlikely.

I certainly wouldn't want to be a muslim accidental carrying a shaving razor or cutlery knife through airport security tomorrow.

Steve
Terrorism relies on the threat and fear more than surprise. all terrorists need to do is create fear and mayhem. Just a a few very loud bangs set off in or near the crowd would create panic and terror and no doubt injuries resulting from the panic. Job done! even better would be a few strategically placed suicide bombers and you would have an event almost as bad as the Twin Towers with potential 1000's killed, maimed and injured.

I do hope that the event goes off without incident.
Old 10 September 2011, 03:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Face it, the terrosrists have won, here and in the USA: we are running scared, terrified, and have had to spend loads, lose freedoms and modify OUR behaviour..........because the terrorists threaten us.
Old 10 September 2011, 03:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Face it, the terrosrists have won, here and in the USA: we are running scared, terrified, and have had to spend loads, lose freedoms and modify OUR behaviour..........because the terrorists threaten us.
Yep, yet so few of us seem able to see it. A lovely excuse for more government control though isn't it? Glad to see things have got so much better in this respect here since Cameron came to power though
Old 10 September 2011, 03:40 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How have they won? The organisations that the U.S. government went after have been pretty much taken apart. They have much less influence than they otherwise would have. We haven't had to change much about the things they originally allegedly had a problem with, we've basically carried on as normal while taking steps to ensure these people can't get their way in the future. They have not won... far from it.

How do you define winning though? If you use their definition, then yes, they probably have won. Just as it's difficult for people to accept that the people flying those planes probably died very happy in the belief they were doing something good.
Old 10 September 2011, 03:41 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

agree theyve won, disrupted our lifestyles and instilled fear

the threat is always going to be there now

the olympics is the next biggie, here anyway

and authorities must be sh*tting themselves
Old 10 September 2011, 03:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
How do you define winning though? If you use their definition, then yes, they probably have won. Just as it's difficult for people to accept that the people flying those planes probably died very happy in the belief they were doing something good.
How do I define winning? Making us spend millions we haven't got to counteract their possible threats. Making us spend billions we haven'y got to search them out.
Having our population scared of flying, scared of parcels left anywhere, scared to go on the tube.
Having our population inconvenienced by extra checks at airports, longer waits, restrictions on what you can fly with, checks that go against civil liberties, huge waits compared with before to board an aeroplane, to baord a ferry, to get into and out of the country.........do you want more?
Old 10 September 2011, 04:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Not really, the alarmisim is more down to the press saying they 'may do this' or they 'may do that' in aim to 'pad' out their news program/paper.

If they just STFU and got on with some proper news everyone would forget about the thought of any follow-up attacks or threats. And if there were, it would always be against some big city or airport. So for the Joe public who lives outside of the M25 there really is very little to fear, especially if you don't live near a city or need to travel through a major airport.

9/11 and Al Qaeda has not really changd the way I live or increased my fear of any attack. In fact I was more worried about IRA bombings during the height of their campaigns, than any from Al Qaeda.

They haven't won, because we are still in the majority, still here and still living our daily life as we see fit. They'll need to nuke us to all to make any change to that.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 September 2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10 September 2011, 04:18 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I still fly and it doesn't bother me, we were in Florida the day it happened and we still went back their 3 more times since. Personally they have not won as I don't fear for my safety anymore than I did before it happened.
Old 10 September 2011, 04:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Not really, the alarmisim is more down to the press saying they 'may do this' or they 'may do that' in aim to 'pad' out their news program/paper.

If they just STFU and got on with some proper news everyone would forget about the thought of any follow-up attacks or threats. And if there were, it would always be against some big city or airport. So for the Joe public who lives outside of the M25 there really is very little to fear, especially if you don't live near a city or need to travel through a major airport.

9/11 and Al Qaeda has not really changd the way I live or increased my fear of any attack. In fact I was more worried about IRA bombings during the height of their campaigns, than any from Al Qaeda.

They haven't won, because we are still in the majority, still here and still living our daily life as we see fit. They'll need to nuke us to all to make any change to that.
+1
Old 10 September 2011, 05:26 PM
Rickdrizzle
Scooby Regular

I doubt anything would happen. After the 9/11 attack, there had been threats that were saying the big cities such as Los Angeles would be attacked yet nothing happened.
Old 10 September 2011, 06:06 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Its the media who play into there hands by scaremongering alot of the time.
Old 10 September 2011, 06:32 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Nothing will happen...
Old 10 September 2011, 07:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ali: they HAVE won because of all the extra stuff you and I and everyone else has to pay for, and endure when travelling.

Think about before 9/11 and now? HOWW erasy was it to board a plane/ferry? And now?

And HOW many £billions have we p*ssed away trying to sort them out?
Old 10 September 2011, 07:41 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Ali: they HAVE won because of all the extra stuff you and I and everyone else has to pay for, and endure when travelling.

Think about before 9/11 and now? HOWW erasy was it to board a plane/ferry? And now?

I think that the extra security for flying is a good thing. We get no hijacks of any sort now, and that has to be a good thing. Apart from having to think a bit more about what I put in my hand luggage, I don't find the process any worse than it was before.

Geezer
Old 10 September 2011, 08:19 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I don't believe anything will happen. The so-called terrorists are already causing havoc tomorrow without even doing anything.. Think about it.
Old 10 September 2011, 10:03 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

How do I define winning? Making us spend millions we haven't got to counteract their possible threats. Making us spend billions we haven'y got to search them out.
Having our population scared of flying, scared of parcels left anywhere, scared to go on the tube.
Having our population inconvenienced by extra checks at airports, longer waits, restrictions on what you can fly with, checks that go against civil liberties, huge waits compared with before to board an aeroplane, to baord a ferry, to get into and out of the country.........do you want more?

Old 10 September 2011, 10:09 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Good job this isn't 1939 eh?

I wonder how your grandfather would have posted on the events then?

"Face it the Germans have won. We're running scared, terrified and have had to spend loads, lose freedoms and modify OUR behaviour, because the terrorists threaten us"

FFS man, get a grip!
Old 11 September 2011, 12:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Eh? Its still easy. And I still can fly to Spain for £30 in low season...thats LESS than the taxi fare to the airport! Amazing considering the extra levy the airports have to charged to cover extra overhead created in increasing their security.

Airport security checks have now been honed and streamlined and now seem to be far better organised than ever before and if anything faster: i.e people get TOLD to empty their pockets long before getting to the conveyor so are ready, whereas before they'd waddle all the way down teh queue not remove any metallic belongings and set off the scanner look all dumb and hold everyone up as they make several attempts to get through without it bleeping.

Ferrys...OK I now have to wind down the rear window so the nice HMRC man in his little booth can check the photo of the passport matches the person who is sitting in teh back seat Its such a major inconvenience to move my hand from the steering wheel to the window switch.

Entry to the UK: Our passports now get swiped. To log our re-entry to teh country. Whereas before you were just waved through without any checks - a major (and blindingly obvious) advance in monitoring movement of the criminal networks (not just terrorists), It took the kiling of 3000 people to finally get this system put back into action when it should never have been relaxed in the first place.

One thing I will conceed to; drop off areas: NCP blatently profiteering by the closure of the dop off lane at BHX (there are ways to to get round that though...for free ), A terrorist should blow up every NCP operation in the country for what they charge.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 September 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11 September 2011, 01:34 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Eh? Its still easy. And I still can fly to Spain for £30 in low season...thats LESS than the taxi fare to the airport! Amazing considering the extra levy the airports have to charged to cover extra overhead created in increasing their security.

Airport security checks have now been honed and streamlined and now seem to be far better organised than ever before and if anything faster: i.e people get TOLD to empty their pockets long before getting to the conveyor so are ready, whereas before they'd waddle all the way down teh queue not remove any metallic belongings and set off the scanner look all dumb and hold everyone up as they make several attempts to get through without it bleeping.

Ferrys...OK I now have to wind down the rear window so the nice HMRC man in his little booth can check the photo of the passport matches the person who is sitting in teh back seat Its such a major inconvenience to move my hand from the steering wheel to the window switch.

Entry to the UK: Our passports now get swiped. To log our re-entry to teh country. Whereas before you were just waved through without any checks - a major (and blindingly obvious) advance in monitoring movement of the criminal networks (not just terrorists), It took the kiling of 3000 people to finally get this system put back into action when it should never have been relaxed in the first place.

One thing I will conceed to; drop off areas: NCP blatently profiteering by the closure of the dop off lane at BHX (there are ways to to get round that though...for free ), A terrorist should blow up every NCP operation in the country for what they charge.
That we be wrong on so many levels.
Old 11 September 2011, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
I really hope nothing happens tomorrow.

But I can't help think they're going to try their best with it being 10 Years.
I share your hopes Ant, but somehow I dont think they will try anything. It would not help their case anyway as far as world opinion is concerned.

I would hate to see another disaster like that, can't help thinking about all those who lost their lives, some of them in a terrifying manner.

Never say die Alcazar!

Les
Old 11 September 2011, 12:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Originally Posted by JTaylor
That we be wrong on so many levels.
There's a multitude of storeys about the heights NCP go to.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 September 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11 September 2011, 12:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

There's a multitude of storeys about the heights NCP go to.
Best we park that right now!
Old 11 September 2011, 12:58 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

It's a cover up. Half of the NCP storeys are driven underground.
Old 11 September 2011, 01:02 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I find it hard to beleive the NYPD, New York Firefighters and EMS are not invited to the official ceremony at Ground Zero as there isn't enough room for them!!!

Last edited by Hanley; 11 September 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11 September 2011, 01:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alg
It's a cover up. Half of the NCP storeys are driven underground.
Do you see this as a barrier?
Old 11 September 2011, 01:11 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
Do you see this as a barrier?
No. I think it's just the ticket.
Old 11 September 2011, 02:42 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
agree theyve won, disrupted our lifestyles and instilled fear

Disrupted our lifestyles in what way? Instilled fear?

Well they havent disrupted my lifestyle in any way at all as far as I can see. OK I may have to take my shoes off at the airport check in now but so what. And as for fear, fear of what?

Frankly I'm sick of all the hype and hysteria going on at the moment regarding 9/11. It happened in spectacular fashion live on TV which maybe makes it feel as if you were part of it.

What happened was very sad but there have been far worse events happen in the world since and before 9/11 2001.

Move on.

Chip

Quick Reply: Threats against the USA .