Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2011, 12:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Cameron: We shall reform the NHS, not sell it off

Well doesnt look that way does it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14778406

The yanks want our system and the tories want the yanks system where you need insurance and pay a fortune for any treatment, dont have insurance and cant pay, you just die... nicely done David

Of course if the government pulled their fingers out and acutally binned most of the middle management they put in there (maggie T) back in the 70's and 80's when they binned Matrons (who did a better job for less money), then you may be on the right track, it just wont happen though, no doubt some decent back handers in this "new solution"

Tony
Old 05 September 2011, 12:58 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much does the insurance cost? If less than NI contributions (presumably they wouldn't make us pay both?!) then why not?

TX.
Old 05 September 2011, 02:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

NI just isnt for the NHS, it pays for more than that TX, the insurance will no doubt be expensive and then if you were ill they probably wont cover you again when you get ill again (or shoot up), big downside to insurance, it will cost you far more in the long run.

Tony
Old 05 September 2011, 02:54 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Typical really, try and discuss things to see if the system we have now can be made better and all of a sudden its "all being sold off".

Originally Posted by Dept of Health
It is not unusual to hold meetings with external organisations and NHS staff and assets would always remain wholly owned by the NHS.
So why the scaremongering, when the people are only looking around at other systems to see what bits they can use to make things better??

Last edited by Jimbob; 05 September 2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05 September 2011, 09:39 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

We have to pay Private health insurance here and it is feckin expensive and badly abused.

Not long after I got to Germany I was in an accident, I was taken to hospital in a red cross ambulance which they billed me 500 DM for , then I was put in the doctors office and the nurse immediately wanted my insurance details before the Dr would even see me. They had a computer connected up to something which checked your details there and then.

After my operation I was give a bill for the op plus food and accomadation for the 10 days I was in hospital. I Then had to go to the chemist to get some thrombosis injections which I also had to pay for. Then you are supposed to submit all the bils to your insurance company yourself.

It is the same with dentists and Dr visits, everytime you speak to one or visit one you have to pay.

The biggest abuse of the system here is that people go to their Dr with depression or stress and he sends you to a health clinic for anything upto 6 weeks all paid for by your health insurance. Some people do this every couple of years and use it as a free holiday.

My insurance was costing me 500DM or €250 a month back in 2000. MY mate is paying over €400 a month for his currently. This is not scales of cover either.

So your NHS may not be the best but just think how much worse off you could be.
Old 05 September 2011, 10:02 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crikey, the OP should write for the Daily Mail!
Old 05 September 2011, 11:03 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

didn't realise that if you work for the NHS they actually OWN you!
Old 05 September 2011, 11:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it is only fair to wait until we actually know what kind of a system they want to replace the NHS as we know it now.

Unfair to make assumptions, but it needs watching very carefully, especially after the broken promises we have seen so far.

Les
Old 05 September 2011, 11:50 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
NI just isnt for the NHS, it pays for more than that TX, the insurance will no doubt be expensive and then if you were ill they probably wont cover you again when you get ill again (or shoot up), big downside to insurance, it will cost you far more in the long run.

Tony
Or, for people like me, with long-term problems that aren't going to go away, insurance will be either exhorbitant, or refused
Old 05 September 2011, 01:19 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
How much does the insurance cost? If less than NI contributions (presumably they wouldn't make us pay both?!) then why not?
Children, the unemployed and poor people will need some sort of cover, which will have to come from general taxation, so there will still be a need for a (reduced) NI contribution. When you consider that some people won't pay for insurance, then the income pot will be smaller to cover the same service.

NI is a tax that most cannot avoid paying and so is a 'guaranteed' income and not a bad way to finance a service for all.
Old 06 September 2011, 07:05 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Having worked in Hospitals since 1982 Mrs T didn't splash that much cash around despite the Griffiths report.........the big spending came from the Labour years in power.......they almost equalised the non-clinical staff with clinical staff but not quite (580,000 clinical to 500,000 non clinical at a rough estimate)....

Shaun