Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House builders

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2011, 01:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry House builders

There is a local House builder that has been building on this site for a few years now. Not a big house builder, so rate of build is less.

Anyway. Had my eye on one of these houses since they started building about 3 years ago. Every time I enquired, they refuse to budge on the asking prices. Recently, they've started offering 5% discount on certain plots.

Went in last week, and yet again the house i want (built and empty for over 2 years) was still up for sale at the initial list price. As it has not been sold in over 2 years (costing the builder money) I thought I might put in a cheeky bid.

5% discount + £15k.

came back to me yesterday. refused point blank to budge on price. Stating that the day I sign the contract on selling my flat, I should then walk in and negotiate a price on the house !!!!

So............... the day i'm homeless, they are willing to talk? Yeah, right. You homeless sir? Great, if you don't want to remain homeless, you can buy at list only

This is why half there site is empty. And due to planning, they've had to start building the second stage.

Can see this builder going bust. Serves them right.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely you can see their point?

They want an offer from someone who is willing and 'Able' to buy ..... if you have to sell to buy then why should they negotiate?

That said, they should tell you what price they would let you have it for 'if you were a cash buyer' ... but then they are showing their hand.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:19 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

lol, there living in a dream world mate, plenty of houses out there. Im pretty surprised they wont move after 2 years, it may be a new house, but its now a two year old house, so in my eyes not new.

After looking round at houses to rent (and we looked at alot) no mater how good you think one is, you always find a better one somewhere
Old 06 September 2011, 01:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Surely you can see their point?

They want an offer from someone who is willing and 'Able' to buy ..... if you have to sell to buy then why should they negotiate?

That said, they should tell you what price they would let you have it for 'if you were a cash buyer' ... but then they are showing their hand.

in a boyant market maybe so, but the market isn't boyant, any sale you can get and make some profit (if its going for the origional asking price then there will be profit in it and quite a bit) is worth jumping at at the min.
Old 06 September 2011, 01:26 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your house is technically 'sold subject to contract' once you accept an offer.

When you get to that stage THEN you start negotiating.........
Old 06 September 2011, 07:09 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Agreed..

Its like the messers that come to buy your car...They prod,poke,walk round it and test drive it then negoiate a price....

"I will have to sell my car first though to raise funds"..

Whats the point if you dont have funds to buy ?
Old 06 September 2011, 07:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
Agreed..

Its like the messers that come to buy your car...They prod,poke,walk round it and test drive it then negoiate a price....

"I will have to sell my car first though to raise funds"..

Whats the point if you dont have funds to buy ?
Right. Like most people, I do have to sell in order to buy.

So. I have my flat up for sale for £x amount. In order to sell it quickly, I could reduce the price. If I did reduce the price, then the property i would like to buy would be out of my price range.

So, If the builder was to negotiate a little and reduce the price of a house that has remained empty since they built it over 2 years ago, 2 thing would happen.

1) I would reduce my price and sell.
2) they would reduce their price and sell.

They would make a profit (which is why they built them) and i get a new house.

There is a reason why half this builders site is empty. Their attitude to price.

Another house builder has already agreed that if I had a confirmed offer on my property, they would sell me a house of £x amount. Unfortunately, it's not in the area i want to live.

Stating they will only negotiate once your are effectively homeless is stupid.
Old 06 September 2011, 07:31 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

ive been dealing with Persimmon homes, and still have snagging issues... (after being here a year!)
house builders are a complete pain in the ****!
hopefully this particular one is better at finishing that persimmon... argh

lucky for me as i was on a gov package to get 1st time owners on the ladder, they double checked the market price and told Persimmon to take 20k off the list price
funny enough Persimmon were very slow to tell me this fact heh (and i think argued the fact quite a lot)
Old 06 September 2011, 07:31 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Yes and no...

We are all stuck in the same trap when we want to move home if we need to sell to raise funds,which the majority do.

I personally wouldnt listen to any offers off anyone who didnt have funds or an accepted bid on there home...

What if you negotiate a deal and then return a month later and say "you said it was £xxx,xxx and i want to buy,but the house has gone down in price,would you stay with your negotiated price??
Even with a good offer on your flat,it would still take 3 months to clear the deal...

Time for negotiation is when you want to sign on the dotted line..

The line has to be drawn somewhere...

Persimmon,Barratt,Redrow...They are all the same,cheaply built for maximum profit...Its business afer all.

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 06 September 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06 September 2011, 08:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Little boxes on the hill side made of ticky tacky. Ten a penny. If the won't budge they will go bust.

Plenty of builders have suffered this in my locality...And their deveolpments were dubious anyway considering the style/number of houses per plot of land without provision of amenities, which MUST have involved some backslapping with the leading hob nobbers of the planning committee to get their atrocities of accomodation approved.
Old 06 September 2011, 08:15 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

pop back in and say your house is sold now, discuss a figure and just before they get you to sign tell them you have changed your mind.