Go Compare, Meerkats etc

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2011, 12:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go Compare, Meerkats etc

How does their business model work ?

Was pondering their advertising spend, the fat Opera Dick appears every 10 seconds on seemingly every channel, they basically must get a kickback when someone buys a service via their site as a referral fee, do they really sell that much or is the advertising speculative to build the brand and will eventually tail off.

I personally like the Meerkats, the Opera Dick needs to STFU.
Old 03 September 2011, 12:22 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO

the Opera Dick needs to STFU.
Yea, I often find myself turning the volume down or changing the channel when that **** comes on, I can't stand him.

It's got to be one of the most annoying adverts ever!!!
Old 03 September 2011, 12:22 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Was pondering their advertising spend, the fat Opera Dick appears every 10 seconds on seemingly every channel, they basically must get a kickback when someone buys a service via their site as a referral fee, do they really sell that much or is the advertising speculative to build the brand and will eventually tail off.

I personally like the Meerkats, the Opera Dick needs to STFU.
Agree re the Meerkats oh and i hate the Go Compare adverts as well!

There must be some gullible people out there unable or unwilling to shop around. I tried the Meerkats and Go Compare when renewing my car insurance last time and the quotes where 2-3 times as much as Keith Michaels. as soon as i had completed and got the results the phone started ringing with pushy insurance telesales people trying to get me to take the insurance from several companies.
Old 03 September 2011, 01:35 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I find many adverts annoying these days,the opera bloke i'd bloody shoot the ******,deflate his fat ***
Same as the Jacamo advert

What is it with adverts now.
Some guy in a suit dancing in a kitchen is not in anyway gonna make me go out and buy.
Where do they get these people and ideas.
Old 03 September 2011, 01:57 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

The Meerkat business, no matter how it entertains children is a tenuous link at best. Basing a whole advertising campaign on the fact that someone misread 'meerkat' for 'market', really?
Old 03 September 2011, 01:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Everything I watch is recorded on Tivo, so apart from the odd interesting-looking movie trailer I don't think I've watched a whole TV ad for ages.

I tried to get quotes for my motorbike through a couple of these sites last week, but at least one of them didn't list the right model (it came out at the beginning of this year - hardly "new"). Another rejected my details, unable to understand that although I've not yet had my license X years today, I will have had it that long by the time the policy comes into effect in a couple of weeks' time.

And don't get me started on modifications... yes, my bike has heated grips, so that's... umm.... er.... "Other unlisted modification" selected, and what a surprise, the price goes up.

I ended up calling another broker and got a policy with the same underwriter as I'd have been with had I simply renewed, for £50 less and with business cover included. And even after we went through the details several times on the phone they STILL got them wrong on the proposal form... muppets
Old 03 September 2011, 02:01 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Everything I watch is recorded on Tivo, so apart from the odd interesting-looking movie trailer I don't think I've watched a whole TV ad for ages.

I tried to get quotes for my motorbike through a couple of these sites last week, but at least one of them didn't list the right model (it came out at the beginning of this year - hardly "new"). Another rejected my details, unable to understand that although I've not yet had my license X years today, I will have had it that long by the time the policy comes into effect in a couple of weeks' time.

And don't get me started on modifications... yes, my bike has heated grips, so that's... umm.... er.... "Other unlisted modification" selected, and what a surprise, the price goes up.

I ended up calling another broker and got a policy with the same underwriter as I'd have been with had I simply renewed, for £50 less and with business cover included. And even after we went through the details several times on the phone they STILL got them wrong on the proposal form... muppets
Heated grips? What power increase do you see with them?

Seriously, those sites are for the lazy........people should do what you did and hunt around.
Old 03 September 2011, 02:07 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

About 30bhp extra, judging from the insurance increase
Old 03 September 2011, 02:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the technical term for these types of sites is "aggregators" and they work on the click thru referral model

so once the data links into the providers backend database/quote portals have been setup all the aggregators have to do is generate traffic to their sites

money for old rope
Old 03 September 2011, 03:44 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I don't know if anyone is aware that confused.com is owned by Admiral, so even if they can't sell you their own products they will make a % of what they find for you through their search engine if you buy a product via their site.
Old 03 September 2011, 03:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Same way as insurance brokers. A broker's job is to find their client the most appropriate and best value insurance for their needs and do all teh donkey work inbetween.

As part of that arrangement, the broker gets a cut out of the deal. Obviously its substantial as there are plenty of brokers still in business (I use one for my home and one of my cars).

So if a comparison website were to refer you directly to an insurer, techincaly they are doing exactly what a broker does but without the customer service, as you the client still has to do the donkey work (online forms, phoning through etc).

Essentially its the old middleman system.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 September 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03 September 2011, 03:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I understand the clickthrough referral stuff, I just cant get my head around the amount of advertising they do, must be big money !

I do like the Meerkats my thinking is that it was a throwaway, one advert type thing but people like the characters so they got a life of their own and people are very fond of them, kids love them and I find them quite endearing myself, I have to stop myself when one of the bosses rings as he is called Steve Smith and I have to not say "Helllooo Steve Smeeeth....", does get under your skin. Like the 118 runners as well, dont know why.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:44 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I understand the clickthrough referral stuff, I just cant get my head around the amount of advertising they do, must be big money !.
It is!

Take a look at Quidco for an idea on how much they can begin to get per policy, Aviva £70, RAC £75, More Than £70 etc... quidco work on volume bonuses so I would expect these compare sites get volume bonus payments too.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:49 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have never found those comparison type sites anywhere near being close on price (I don't have a scoob anymore, just what you might call a standard car - Audi) and I wouldn't even use Go Compare if they were cheaper, purely on the basis of the stupid **** on the advert.

Meerkats can be quite funny though (when they come out with a new advert).

Last edited by stiscooby; 03 September 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03 September 2011, 05:21 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Meerkats quote was half price for Wifey last week compared to Tesco renewal quote.
Old 03 September 2011, 09:25 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

You can slate these people all you like.Every year my rubbish insurance quote comes through,go on confused .com or whatever and save bloody loads!!

This year,More Than quote £450. Got it sorted for £290.

Bloody insurers get right on my pap just lately.They should check themselves first before sending rubbish quotes out
Old 03 September 2011, 10:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Renewal quotes are always stupid; Its intentional because alot of people are on direct debit and many insurers employ auto renewal. So if the customer does not tell them they want to cease, they'll auto renew at the higher rate.

And of course, the renew letters usually only come through less than two weeks before it expires, putting pressure to make quick/rash decisions: Easy money from people who let the post pile up on the sideboard.

What I find very naughty these days is pre-arranaged agreed values which are starting to crop up on normal cars (been around on classic car polices for ages). I've had renewals come through which are only a few quid more than last year, then I find they've dropped my agreed value to some ridiculous figure that is way under market value for the vehicle. Basically an underhand trick that potentially could leave me severely out of pocket in an accident - and I'm only aware of it AFTER I renew and read the policy schedule!
Old 04 September 2011, 09:46 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Meerkats have saved me £200 on house insurance this year over anything else I could find. It's an even better deal with the meerkat toys being sent out at the moment as they are fetching £40 -£70 on Ebay, adding a further 10/20% discount.
Ours will be swiftly dispatched to in an auction when it comes, before anyone in the house starts to think its is cute.
Old 05 September 2011, 09:20 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
It is!

Take a look at Quidco for an idea on how much they can begin to get per policy, Aviva £70, RAC £75, More Than £70 etc... quidco work on volume bonuses so I would expect these compare sites get volume bonus payments too.
This ^^^

Find your cheapest quote for car / home insurance on the comparison site then use Quidco or Topcashback to actually buy the policy. Typically between £30 and £70 cash back per policy. Good for mobile phone contracts too. Saved me loads over the years. Check out Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert web site for loads of tips and tricks like this.