Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

altitude sickness

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2011, 07:40 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default altitude sickness

going on noliday to france/switzerland in 2 months.

and a visit to a swiss canton called vaillis, to relive childhood memoreis, basically its hal way up a sheer face of a mountain lol,,

but my gran has warned against taking the kids as shes adiment theyll be ill, shes very old and i think a little confused, as i dont think they have anything to to worry about, the kids a re 3 and 9.

any one know details where it can start to become an issue?

kids are being dragged up ragrdless of issues, but just like to know

cheers
Old 08 August 2011, 08:07 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

altitude sickness can affect anyone at age. kids are no more at risk than adults. someone who has been at altitude many times before can get it or it can happen the first time you go up, it is not fully understood.
If altitude sickness does develop it is very serious and the onlt remedy it is to descend as quickly as possible.
How high are you going?

nb. altitude sickness is not the same as just feeling the effects of altitude. Lethargy and shortness of breath can be expected but confusion and coughing up froth is a real danger sign.

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/altitude.htm
Old 08 August 2011, 10:45 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

climbed mount kinabalu in Malaysia 13,500 ft at the summit - its the only time I have experienced altitude sickness. As has been suggested, once we began to feel the effects of altitude sickness we descended to a lower level on the mountain and rested overnight with just a few hours sleep between 2200 and 0200 - sleeping makes the symptoms worse. We were aiming to reach the summit for sunrise - so the final ascent was in the dark starting out a 0230. Symptoms start to take hold at around 10,000 ft.

Taking on plenty of fluids will help, stay off the alcohol and pile in the carbs. Rest for a few days to acclimatise before increasing altitude. Sudden increases in altitude make symptoms more acute than a gradual ascent over a number of days.

If symptoms increase - descend to a lower altitude - if you suffer a headache that does not subside with 2 paracetamol and a litre of water - you will be experiencing altitude sickness - seriously consider descending or at least rest - sleeping will make symptoms worse and you typically feel them more in the evening. Don't forget paracetamol is only masking the symptoms - you will still be affected by the change of altitude.

Wikipedia indicates that Valais highest point is at 15,000 ft. That puts it in the the very high altitude scale (12,000 - 18,000 ft) - you are very likely to feel the effects of altitude sickness if anywhere near this summit.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 08 August 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09 August 2011, 09:31 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Excellent advice above.

When i was in the Andes, chewing on coca leaves helped with the altitude symptoms.
Not recommended in France as coca leaves are illegal there.
Old 09 August 2011, 10:40 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had it when we did the scumball rally, not a nice feeling, breathless and nausia. we went into italy and through the alps.
Old 09 August 2011, 10:58 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Millions of people ski in the alps every year with their children.
Old 09 August 2011, 11:10 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

TT's advice is good, on my trip to the South Pole alt 9300 ft barometric pressure made it feel like 11500 ft , none of the team suffered AS, BUT we had been travelling from 2100 ft to the pole for 6 days so had the chance to acclimatise, but what did get us was the effort to do the simplist of walks, i.e. 0.5 Km walk heatbeat 155, so take things easy when you get there.

Last edited by Ray T; 09 August 2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09 August 2011, 11:33 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

He is going on a summer holiday in the alps for gods sake.

Unless he is staying above 3000 for a prolonged period of time there is nothing to worry about. I'd put money on the fact the property is well below 2000 metres.

How many people go skiing and complain of altitude sickness?
Old 09 August 2011, 11:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Up to a pressure altitude of 10,000 feet, the partial pressure of the oxygen is adequate to sustain life except that one might feel a bit more lethargic. I imagine that the place you are going to should be safe enough unless it is appreciably higher than the altitude that I mentioned.

Les