Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I want to be paid for my Charity work....

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2011, 11:36 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I want to be paid for my Charity work....

What a bunch of over-paid premadonnas....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14439629

Do they not understand the concept of charity? They'll happily take the credit for giving time to the cause but, expect to line their pockets at the same time - they as bad the executive that run these charities
Old 08 August 2011, 11:46 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your boss said next Friday is charity day and your days wage is going to charity, would you be cool with that.

I can see both sides to be fair.

Ads
Old 08 August 2011, 12:04 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

These people have the choice, as do I and when I have done charity work in the past I have had no gripes about giving a day of my time free of charge. No-one is forcing them to take the free publicity and all the spin off benefits of doing an hour or so at a charity gig.
Old 08 August 2011, 12:34 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Exactly Jon.

Special X - If that happened here, I'd get zero benefit. For these guys it means a chance to promote your new single/album etc to millions. The payment is that people buy your songs.

More annoyed with the fact Wogan got paid for Children in Need for all those years.

5t.
Old 08 August 2011, 12:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
More annoyed with the fact Wogan got paid for Children in Need for all those years.

5t.
Why shouldn't he be paid? What benefit would he personaly get out of working for free?

People who work for Charities still get paid you know. Or should everyone work for free because it's a charity?
Old 08 August 2011, 01:01 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Why shouldn't he be paid? What benefit would he personaly get out of working for free?

People who work for Charities still get paid you know. Or should everyone work for free because it's a charity?
They do - because they need to Live.

Him saying "please give whatever you can" while trousering £10k for the privilege is fine as long as he can be upfront abotu it. He wasn't at all.

10k to him is nothing to him so it makes him look hypocritical.

Its quite simple really.

5t.
Old 08 August 2011, 01:22 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

We get a paid day a year to do charity work
Old 08 August 2011, 01:33 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
They do - because they need to Live.

Him saying "please give whatever you can" while trousering £10k for the privilege is fine as long as he can be upfront abotu it. He wasn't at all.

10k to him is nothing to him so it makes him look hypocritical.

Its quite simple really.

5t.
According to Wogan he says he did not even know that he had been paid for CIN which, I imagine could quite easily happen if his management had not told him about it.

Chip
Old 08 August 2011, 02:08 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
According to Wogan he says he did not even know that he had been paid for CIN which, I imagine could quite easily happen if his management had not told him about it.

Chip
It could have - if he'd not had to sign a contract. He got caught and was embarassed about it at the end of the day and rightly so.

5t.
Old 08 August 2011, 04:19 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx
If your boss said next Friday is charity day and your days wage is going to charity, would you be cool with that.

I can see both sides to be fair.

Ads

Happens at my work every December.. and I'm only too happy to take part...

http://www.icap.com/About-the-group/...tyDay2010.aspx
Old 08 August 2011, 04:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When you consider the very high wages paid to artists these days, they should bear in mind hoiw lucky they are and it would be extremely selfish to expect to be paid for a charity appearance.

I think that goes as well for the administrative workers mentioned who also expect to get paid for their services.

Les
Old 08 August 2011, 08:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think that goes as well for the administrative workers mentioned who also expect to get paid for their services.

Les
That's not fair. To set up and run a Charity event will take many months in planning, going through red tape, and jumping through Health and safety noncense. Should you really expect someone to work for months without pay, just because someone keeps saying (In smashy & Nicey voice) "It's for charidy mate".

No you wouldn't
Old 08 August 2011, 08:32 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's terrible they should not get paid for doing work for charity
I do many hours of work for charity the NBO has raised nearly
50 k for charity since we started the concept 9 years ago
We do it because we are lucky with our health and want to help
Others less fortunate then ourselves

It's a privilege to hand a cheque over To worthwhile causes
Old 09 August 2011, 12:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
That's not fair. To set up and run a Charity event will take many months in planning, going through red tape, and jumping through Health and safety noncense. Should you really expect someone to work for months without pay, just because someone keeps saying (In smashy & Nicey voice) "It's for charidy mate".

No you wouldn't
If you look up the definition of the word "charity", then you would have to find a different description of the organisation. To qualify as a charity it has to be wholly non profit making.

Les
Old 09 August 2011, 03:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
What a bunch of over-paid premadonnas....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14439629

Do they not understand the concept of charity? They'll happily take the credit for giving time to the cause but, expect to line their pockets at the same time - they as bad the executive that run these charities

I understand them for not understanding the concept of charity in that way. May be, they understand that charity begins at home, and no one should be forced to do any charitable work by going out of pocket. I agree with the performing musicians, and I am aware of their dilemma for working for less or nothing.

As it has been said that even many charity officials are paid, so why not the promoting artists be paid, unless they voluntarily choose not to be paid? They also have to feed their family, pay mortgage etc.

Hope TUC sorts it.
Old 09 August 2011, 03:29 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

To me the whole concept of charity is to give - as Les points out it is wholly non-profit making.

I have given my time to raise money including parachute jumping and running a marathon. It has always been made clear to me that I can cover any reasonable costs I incur out of the raised funds but nothing more. So why should this be different for a superstar, as long as he/she/they do not go out of pocket then crack on, but do not expect the charity to cough-up for a 5-star hotel, limo and then give you a nights pay on top of it.
Old 09 August 2011, 03:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Jon, a lot of established superstars perform for charity for no money because they can afford to do so. It works like a two-way street for them in terms for self-promotion, do-gooding promotion, and tax adjustment. I won't rule out congruent giving either. Upcoming stars often use charity gigs as their premier platform for launching themselves. OP's link talks about the "emotional blackmail", where the stars that are not so "super" are "forced" to work for nothing or very little. Now that shouldn't be on IMO. Like everyone else, they also have their bills to pay. People like you generously give your time and effort to charity, fantastic on you. But not everyone can afford to do charity. In that case, they need not be pushed for doing it.
Old 09 August 2011, 03:55 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

And no-one is forcing them, if they want the publicity to give them a leg-up great, if they don't go and do some other gig. Cover your costs but I support charities for the cause not to give some hopeful a leg-up into a multi-million pound career. If your singing career isn't covering the bills then move on and get another career...

Rant over

PS. I am the OP
Old 09 August 2011, 04:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
And no-one is forcing them, if they want the publicity to give them a leg-up great, if they don't go and do some other gig. Cover your costs but I support charities for the cause not to give some hopeful a leg-up into a multi-million pound career. If your singing career isn't covering the bills then move on and get another career...

Rant over

PS. I am the OP
Ok, you are the OP. Sorry, man.

Of coure, that is the point. Perofrming musicians do not have to do charity gigs. If their singing career doesn't work, they can get a normal job, like everyone else. But, they still need not do charity gigs if its not viable for them. Why should they??? If they are blackmailing charities to pay them, that is not on either. So, neither of them should blackmail each other.

About supporting anyone to build multi-million pound career, star would shine out of the dust with or without any charity's support. I think the bitterness should be cut out, and charities can think of many more option to raise funds than involving such musicians that want to be paid. There are plenty of many other ways to raise money for charity. Getting head shaved (even if one in not known to the next door neighbour) works a treat, so does a dressing up as a clown, apparently.

Last edited by Turbohot; 09 August 2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09 August 2011, 04:16 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

It's all about being sensible and grown up in the end, no need to get the TUC to fight your battles because you feel pressurised - do what Grange Hill said in the 80's and 'Just Say No!!!'