Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hi-Fi equipment

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2002, 09:19 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so my 10 year old sony system isn't sounding great these days.

I want an amp and some speakers.

The amp I have chosen is the Denon PMA255uk - very good for the money.

But speakers, I have ordered some Monitor Audio Bronze 1. Now I like the look of these and as ex demo they are 90 quid.

However - the amp is out of stock so the order is on hold. A local stockist has the amp but the speakers they recommended were the B&W DM303 (great speakers) but £180!!!

Does anyone know about this stuff - should I stick with the MA or go for B&W. Basically are they worth £100 more (i'm on a budget you know )

ta........
Old 23 April 2002, 09:46 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do is go and have a listen. Did this with my first system and was very suprised at the difference between manufacturers amps. The Denon is a good AMP but it depends what you like. Have a look at richer sounds they are always very good, but I would recommend you book a demo suite. If you have a CD player take this with you.

Simon
Old 24 April 2002, 12:49 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Thumbs up

Matt,

ensure you listen first. What the reviews say are great may not be suitable for you. I'm a bit of a bass head so none of the speakers recommended were what I was after.....the only way to ensure your happy with what you've spent your money on is listen first.

As said before if you have a CD player take this with you as the speakers/amp will sound very different if used with another model.
Old 24 April 2002, 02:23 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You really have to choose speakers by listening to them, there's no other way. Even at the same price point, there will be some you like and others you hate. Each company has its own distictive sound.

I'm on my second pair of Monitor Audios (Studio 20SE), and I think they're fantastic, but it depends a lot also on what kind of music you like. I tend to listen to hard-edged industrial music, which demands a precise and clinical sound that metal-coned speakers do well.

I still have a pair of 7 year old TDL Near Field Monitors, which were £120 new and I still really like them despite my main speakers being ten times the price. You really can't judge what you'll like based on cost alone. Sorry

Andy.
Old 24 April 2002, 04:48 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

aww cr@p. i listened to the B&W with the Denon and it sounded really good.

But.................

I just found out the ones I ordered I can send back if I don't like them this means I get to test them in my flat (which will have different accoustics to the shop). If I don't like em' off they go, only need to pay for postage but seeing as I work for a distributor shouldn't be too much!!

thanks for the advice chaps.
Old 24 April 2002, 09:42 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Got a merantz KI sig amp and CD player + B+W602's - ditto the others and listen to the combinations back to back if possible. It is really worth investing a bit of cash in some good speaker leads and interconnects, as you will be amazed the difference it can make to the sound

Good luck with the choice

Andy

Old 25 April 2002, 05:47 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Mission M74's

grrrreeeeeeeat!!