Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fanboy stuff aside, your Smartphone, is it useful ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2011, 06:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fanboy stuff aside, your Smartphone, is it useful ?

I have a Desire HD (Other Smartphones are available) and I love it, would really miss it if I didn't have it, it enables me to be out of the office and still get and respond to email, I can play games on it and do loads of other useful stuff, so, see if you can avoid factions and celebrate the wonder of the smartphone, i.e. ehat do you do with yours and would you be without it ?
Old 30 July 2011, 06:31 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd love to join in but if I were to expound the virtues of the Apple iPhone it may cause a riot, people will get banned.

That aside, I love mine, but the iPad is better.
Old 30 July 2011, 06:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Jack, your smartphone, regardless of brand, does it bring you benefit to your day to day life and in what ways ?
Old 30 July 2011, 06:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Usual stuff, email, contacts, calendar, all perfectly presented and in sync. Yes these things were available on the old Nokia's but the new generation pioneered by Apple have made them usable.

Best part for me I guess is the mapping, navigation and tracking. I use it extensively.

I've also read quite a few books, but now have an iPad so that's taken over.
Old 30 July 2011, 06:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Just trying to keep this brand Agnostic.
Old 30 July 2011, 06:47 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, email,ebay, internet.

couldn't get by without one now
Old 30 July 2011, 06:55 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

if its a touch screen, any brand - total p*sh

couldnt get by with one
Old 30 July 2011, 07:05 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Love the easy instant access to the net and emails. Wish it was a tad more exciting and the games on it are pish except for battleships!
Old 30 July 2011, 07:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Just trying to keep this brand Agnostic.
LOL I like that expression

Smartphones? Had 2, binned them as they both had signal issues and went back to my old Nokia 6310. Didn't miss the Smartphone at all, but recently got another and yes it's good, but could live without it.

Then again I am near a computer whenever I need to be and away from one when I want to be so that works for me. Just turn the phone off when I am wanting to take time out as not really into this 24 hour contact thing.
Old 30 July 2011, 07:18 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Mine is definately the smoothest out of the lot on the market (the market up until i left the phone sales business a few months back anyway) but it does have many flaws.

Things i like: easy to use, has email, camera, facebook, whatsapp games and many other apps that come in useful (trian times, gogle maps, music)

however the email has to keep refreshing every half hour or so to keep it up do date, i can get a message come up on screen saying that i have a facebok notification, but when i go onto facebook i have to let it al update and download it again. This should be done when it states i have an update. that also applies for email and whatsapp. I hate being told or alerted about something while on the train, to then go into that app and look at what i am being notified of, to then be told i have to wait for it to download or refresh, and then i go through a tunnel or something!

Battery life is also rubbish (as is all smartphones tbh)
Old 30 July 2011, 07:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

im on a lg viewty original - to be honest if still worked properly i wouldnt bother getting anything else

all i actually want is a phone/camera/vid a few emails/ texts and to sharedeal

who the **** needs all those other gimmick apps
Old 30 July 2011, 07:22 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Mine is definately the smoothest out of the lot on the market (the market up until i left the phone sales business a few months back anyway) but it does have many flaws.

Things i like: easy to use, has email, camera, facebook, whatsapp games and many other apps that come in useful (trian times, gogle maps, music)

however the email has to keep refreshing every half hour or so to keep it up do date, i can get a message come up on screen saying that i have a facebok notification, but when i go onto facebook i have to let it al update and download it again. This should be done when it states i have an update. that also applies for email and whatsapp. I hate being told or alerted about something while on the train, to then go into that app and look at what i am being notified of, to then be told i have to wait for it to download or refresh, and then i go through a tunnel or something!

Battery life is also rubbish (as is all smartphones tbh)
which email provider is it? I thought Gmail couldn't push to my iphone but it does
Old 30 July 2011, 07:24 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Usual stuff, email, contacts, calendar, all perfectly presented and in sync. Yes these things were available on the old Nokia's but the new generation pioneered by Apple have made them usable.

Best part for me I guess is the mapping, navigation and tracking. I use it extensively.

I've also read quite a few books, but now have an iPad so that's taken over.
I even make calls on mine!!! not an iphone btw.
Old 30 July 2011, 07:31 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Mines very useful.

I can watch Internet **** anywhere now.
Old 30 July 2011, 07:38 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I have an HTC Desire - non-HD. I really like it and wouldn't be without it. I can list something on Ebay quicker than I can with my laptop, and the camera is very good. Email, etc. is good, though Yahoo mail app doesn't allow me to check the other account I get through it online.

Only thing I'm annoyed with is that the calendar has lost all of my appointments recently.... Dunno if I've done something!
Old 30 July 2011, 08:37 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Using my phone as a modem for the laptop when I'm working away (due rubbish hotel wireless systems) is a feature I never thought I'd rely upon. It's also helped when home broadband has failed.
Usual stuff like email and contacts as well.
Old 30 July 2011, 08:46 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Mine is very useful.

Great camera, email, web surfing, battery is superb and outlasts all my mates with ease. And survives a hammering, use it in the shower cubicle (music), use it under the car, resting on the engine, oily hands.

AND it makes crystal clear calls, and texts are easy, its also my alarm clock.
And it has the best satnav system on a smartphone, more than a match for my Tomtom.

It was FREE, and applications and stuff are mostly FREE, accessories in any £1 shop and no inflated prices for a badge.

Last edited by Jimbob; 30 July 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 30 July 2011, 08:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Mp3 & youtube are great,

Maps & other bits ... would be loads better if there wasnt the hidden costs behind them.

If the 3G lived up to the hype then is would be ace...

3G is the preserve of citys

Mart
Old 30 July 2011, 08:55 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

surfing the web, streaming radio, GPS and mapping, phone calls
Old 30 July 2011, 09:27 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use mine for email and internet, sat nav and as a mp3 player in my car.
Old 30 July 2011, 09:39 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Mines a portable network toolkit. Integrated cisco VPN, vac, rdp, port mapping, telnet, ssh
Old 31 July 2011, 12:30 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I use and rely on mine way more than I should. Although as mentioned by Jack of all people, I use my iPad for a lot of the things I used to use my smartphone for (email, games, movies etc..).

The phone of course has the advantage of always being with me.

Steve
Old 31 July 2011, 03:40 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
which email provider is it? I thought Gmail couldn't push to my iphone but it does
It's gmail. It does alert me as if it were push, but it doesn't download the message. It will say have the little red circle with "1" or however many emails i have received, but when i click into my email if i have no signal it will not display until it can connect and display it.

Proper 'push' facilities should push to your phone and have the data there from that point, like a blackberry does. That is the only major issue i can find with my phone.

Oh and also, another useful feature is the calendar syncing. I can sync all of my university calendars (time tables, studio time ETC) with my calendar on my phone. It makes me feel like one of those important high rollers checking my phone's calendar when people ask me if i'm free (Yes i know i'm a goon )
Old 31 July 2011, 06:48 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Use mine all the time, navigation, internet, GPS tracking, MP3 player for the car etc etc

I used to use it for more office type stuff when running the business.

I can not remember the last day i never used it, it is used a lot more for the above, than as a telephone, for example i am off out today to TOTB and i will be using it as my main camera.
Old 31 July 2011, 08:20 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Mine gets loads of use. Besides the usual phone, text, camera, email etc, I also use it to check road hold ups, tide times, sporting fixtures, radio or even catchup TV. All good stuff I'd miss if I were without it.
Old 31 July 2011, 08:31 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I find it extremely useful.

Great apps for travel, that I do a lot, email, internet, games, sat nav, share dealing, shopping...

...but my iPad has taken over from both my laptop and my phone, other than for UK calls (I use Skype for at least half my total calls now) both on my phone and iPad - indeed Skype integration with the iPhone is excellent and many times it is hard to tell it is not cellular.

Last edited by Trout; 31 July 2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 31 July 2011, 11:28 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Ive currently got an iphone, used to have a HTC Desire.

Yes smartphones are superb, they enable you to do lots of things on the go, checking emails is handy, the sports and news apps are great and they keep you updated on the move. I like the weather app as its very useful for planning a few days ahead, their are loads of other apps that are very useful as well. I use Skype quite a bit on my phone.

The main reason i got an iphone was for the ipod, that now allows me to have music on the go from all my fav playlists, the iphone is good because you get an ipod and phone all in the same package which saves you having to carry 2 seperate things around.
Old 31 July 2011, 12:24 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

extremely useful, feel like id lost a limb if i lostmine :/

Spotify gets my thumbs up for music btw, i can sort my play list out on my laptop
and my phone automatically starts syncing its self and downloading the songs etc for me
Old 31 July 2011, 11:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Apart from the usual, emailing, internet, apps etc, it is so easy to make money with a good Smartphone without having to be at home or in a office. Ease of use has come so far since the days of the Sony P900i phones which I used for largely the same stuff as I do now.

Quick Reply: Fanboy stuff aside, your Smartphone, is it useful ?