Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paypal problem

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2011, 06:43 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paypal problem

I know Paypal have a bit of a bad reputation but i've not had any problems with them in the past and have been using them for quite a few years.

Yesterday i sold a set of wheels / tyres to a member on another forum and he sent payment through paypal - he missed a letter out of my acc (email) so cancelled that payment an hour later and resent it correctly.
Paypal then put the payment on hold for 24 hours and sent an email saying to hold onto the goods.
The buyer had arranged collection through a courier for today so i didn't know what to do.
This morning i got an email from Paypal saying the payment was cleared so i started the transfer to my bank
A little later the courier called and i gave him the wheels relieved everything was ok - THEN - 30 mins later paypal sent another email saying the transaction may not have been authorised???? and put the payment on hold so my balance is now minus £400?

I phoned paypal who said as soon as they get confirmation via the tracking numbers they'll release the funds again

How can the clear the payment for me to release the goods then put it on hold again? if it's cleared then that should be 100% - shouldn't it?

Anyone else had this problem?

I've emailed the buyer several time and he hasn't replied!!!
Old 23 June 2011, 06:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd have used bank transfer for a sale of £400. Paypal are a law unto themselves.
Old 23 June 2011, 06:51 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i'd know the charges then i would have looked into that - £16 commission?
Old 23 June 2011, 07:00 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paypal is a total rip off but it is so easy to use.

Chip
Old 23 June 2011, 07:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's free I use it when selling on forums now as I have been shafted by paypal to many times now. Paypal took a £100 out of my girlfriends account over some dubious claim and it took her 6 months to get it back.
Old 23 June 2011, 08:54 PM
chris84
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem with paypal. Personally I wouldn't trust any seller that asked for money to be transferred as a bank transfer. Too easy for them to keep the money and never send you the goods.

As a seller it's free when selling on forums. I always ask for the payment to be sent for goods with the buyer paying the fees which is now an option, no sending as a gift required.

As a buyer it offer you the protection that you will actually receive some goods with the backing of a dispute process where they can get your cash back if something is wrong.

There are so many people on the web that would happily con you which makes the paypal protection hard to ignore.
Old 25 June 2011, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I thought Paypal dont release the cash to the seller until the buyer confirms that the goods are satisfactory.

Les
Old 25 June 2011, 09:59 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris84
There are so many BUYERS on the web that would happily con you which makes the LACK OF paypal protection hard to ignore.
Fixed. The best protection PayPal offers is if you pay by credit card so you can get your money back from your CC provider.

Chris, I know you are an honest buyer but it seems you might be increasingly in a minority!

5t,