Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Smilies

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2011, 11:13 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smilies

So as there is currently a big thing on swearing and bypassing the filter what about that is an offensive smiley if we are taking things to a point and I imagine it's not the only one like it.

Mods what you going to do now?
Old 10 June 2011, 11:29 PM
leedscal
Scooby Regular

ban
Old 10 June 2011, 11:44 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leedscal
ban
SPELLING POLICE WILL BE NEXT for avoiding the filter by spelling it wrong , its only a internet forum and yet they cant resist commenting every time someone miss spells something or forgets to use a commer , i had one english teacher on here highlight all my cant be arsed mistakes and then quote them questioning my intellegence get a life beond work and your cars to em all i say

Last edited by madscoob; 10 June 2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: for the benefit of english teachers on here
Old 10 June 2011, 11:57 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
SPELLING POLICE WILL BE NEXT for avoiding the filter by spelling it wrong , it's only a internet forum and yet they can't resist commenting every time someone misspells something or forgets to use a comma , i had one english teacher on here highlight all my can't be arsed mistakes and then quote them questioning my intelligence get a life beyond work and your cars to 'em all i say
shocking!!! go and stand in the corner young man.
Old 11 June 2011, 12:16 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

So who put a bug up your ****, Paul? Get a life, FFS.
Old 11 June 2011, 12:17 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
shocking!!! go and stand in the corner young man.
He needs to go into policy to ask Kieran to rename him "Illiteratescoob".
Old 11 June 2011, 02:19 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

As quoted from a locked thread:

OK: The default similies hosted on SN's server are allowed, with possible exception to context and past/current behaviour of that user (for example if they are trolling or baiting etc).

Other potentially offensive icons/smilies will be treated at our discretion based on what they symbolise, the context in which it is used and the previous and current behaviour of the user posting it.

If we find it inappropriate, we will always warn (publically or privately) or infract the user to tell them this is not acceptable. Unless they have already been warned previously and/or have ignored prior warnings, in which case we may choose to escalate matters, or continue infracting until the points tot up an automated ban.

---

Still this allows mods to be selective on their favorites.

This should be a black and white issue either the smilies are swearing or not and either a word is swearing or not and if it is it should be added to the swear filter.

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2011, 02:28 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11 June 2011, 02:33 PM
leedscal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72

OK: The default similies hosted on SN's server are allowed, with possible exception to context and past/current behaviour of that user (for example if they are trolling or baiting etc).

Other potentially offensive icons/smilies will be treated at our discretion based on what they symbolise, the context in which it is used and the previous and current behaviour of the user posting it.

If we find it inappropriate, we will always warn (publically or privately) or infract the user to tell them this is not acceptable. Unless they have already been warned previously and/or have ignored prior warnings, in which case we may choose to escalate matters, or continue infracting until the points tot up an automated ban.

---

This should be a black and white issue either the smilies are swearing or not and either a word is swearing or not and if it is it should be added to the swear filter.
This is so they dont have to ban there *** licking keyboard warriors that use them all time lol
Old 11 June 2011, 07:09 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by PaulC72

---

??

The smilies on SN are obviously deemed ok, or they wouldn't be there. I always took the finger one more as a tongue in cheek smilie (hence the sticking out tongue) than offensive, so I can only assume this is what Ali is getting a re. how it is used.

As for smilies in general, I think he's saying that smilies from elsewhere on the web (not SN) would be treated individually based on what they were/how they were being used. Not everything in life is completely black and white.

As for swearing....I hazard a guess that something went wrong when Scunthorpe was allowed to be posted recently, or the words used in the last couple of days were oversights. Mistakes happen. However, it is pretty clear that the use of the c word is against the rules, simply making it a plural doesn't make it ok to use it, even if there has been an error with the swear filter.
Old 11 June 2011, 07:11 PM
Lisawrx

Just to add...What are you all going on about favourites for? Who has favourites?
Old 11 June 2011, 07:41 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Lisa,

does an image of a middle finger sticking up not still represent the same as the word in this case **** you? regardless of the tongue or not?

If it is to be taken as a joke then so should any use of swear words (c*** excepted) as they would mean the same surely?

Oh to addres the favorite bit, thread do seem to be ruled differently depending on who is in them and which mod attends, there have been enough threads on that subject.
Old 11 June 2011, 08:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

smilies are for cvnts anyway -- imo
Old 12 June 2011, 12:35 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Someone on this thread with an alphanumeric username is a moron. I'm not going to point them out for ridicule, because that wouldn't be fair.
Old 12 June 2011, 12:07 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Someone on this thread with an alphanumeric username is a moron. I'm not going to point them out for ridicule, because that wouldn't be fair.
Or maybe you just don't agree with their opinion which everyone is entitled too this being a public forum and all.
Old 12 June 2011, 01:17 PM
leedscal
Scooby Regular

Hahaha thank you bubba po for confirming something i said in another thread, that was a typical reply from one of the sn ****, when you disagree with someone instead of saying it you have to try belittle them unbeknown to you that making a comment like that just shows what narrow minded 'moron' you are.

Last edited by leedscal; 12 June 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 13 June 2011, 01:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What a fuss!

Les
Old 13 June 2011, 05:23 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leedscal
Hahaha thank you bubba po for confirming something i said in another thread, that was a typical reply from one of the sn ****, when you disagree with someone instead of saying it you have to try belittle them unbeknown to you that making a comment like that just shows what narrow minded 'moron' you are.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. If someone wants to argue that a little picture of a character with its tongue out and holding up two fingers is equivalent to writing "**** off you cnuting wnaker" (misprint), then I think writing a serious criticism of that viewpoint is a waste of everyone's time. It's far, far simpler to just call them a moron.
Old 13 June 2011, 06:12 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Yeah, yeah, yeah. If someone wants to argue that a little picture of a character with its tongue out and holding up two fingers is equivalent to writing "**** off you cnuting wnaker" (misprint), then I think writing a serious criticism of that viewpoint is a waste of everyone's time. It's far, far simpler to just call them a moron.
But they do say a picture says a thousand words and if the ones you mention above are what that smiley mean then my point has been made thankyou.