Dam Busters dog renamed for movie remake

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2011, 06:38 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dam Busters dog renamed for movie remake

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-13727908

The Dam Busters' dog will be renamed for a new version of the classic war movie, it has emerged.

Stephen Fry, who is writing the film's screenplay, said there was "no question in America that you could ever have a dog called the N-word".

In the remake, the dog will be called "Digger" instead of "******".

The black Labrador was the mascot for RAF 617 squadron, which during World War II destroyed dams in Germany with Barnes Wallis's famous bouncing bomb.

Owned by the squadron's wing commander, Guy Gibson, the animal was run over and killed during the planning of the Dambuster raids, and was buried at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire - from where the operation was launched.

Stephen Fry told BBC Radio 5 Live: "It's no good saying that it is the Latin word for black or that it didn't have the meaning that it does now - you just can't go back, which is unfortunate.

it is being done to keep the Americans happy (or so it seems) and to sell it to the USofA!?*!?
Funny how American rappers can call each other "*****" all they want. The Americans can make Historical series like Roots including the word '******' and it is fine and a blockbuster yet a British film set in the second world war has to be changed - more to do with the PC lefties in this country imposing their pathetic ideals and censoring things they see as a problem but not an issue to anyone else but them - god help us as they are taking over in this country. I am surprised Stephen Fry has gone along with this - he has gone down in my estimations and i would have though him of all people would have understood the English language and all of it's connotations and contexts!

A bad day for common sense and the British!

Last edited by The Zohan; 11 June 2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11 June 2011, 06:51 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digger,what a load of b0llocks
Old 11 June 2011, 06:52 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

that's just pathetic.
Old 11 June 2011, 06:59 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Why not set it in a fictitious country so not to risk upsetting Ze Germanz
Old 11 June 2011, 07:09 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Why cant they accept the facts?, That was his name,

Seems daft, we go all pc, yet listen to 90% of gangsta rap today and the N word is being used, as frequently by the singers as we would use a vowel.

If the word is that offensive and causes so much trouble, you would have thought they were the very people who would not want to use the word.??

What next, the plot of the film being changed, not to breach the dams to damage the armaments production, but to help poor Mr Hitler get much needed water to the fields below??.

No doublkt the liberals will be along in a minute, preacing about the connotations and the angst behind the word / associated with it. Of which i'm well aware.

We have many other words / actions associated to things from history that now are deemed wrong or offensive, but rather than wrap them in an artificial taboo / pc stance, we accept what was done is / was wrong and move on.

TBH what do they think would happen if the word was left in? woould there be a mass culture shift overnight? the world would regress 60 odd years?

let sleeping dogs lie

Mart
Old 11 June 2011, 07:33 AM
Bod Wrx Sti
Scooby Regular

probably change the film and make it that really the americans did the raid on the dams really and that the british were in support god bless america wot a load of crap stick to the historical facts what if they made a remake of ZULU cannot be seen to killing anyone of ethnic origins.
Old 11 June 2011, 07:38 AM
hoyty
Scooby Regular

How politically correct let's just change the pages of history all together and instead of Lancaster bombers doing the raid shall we change it to b52 bombers with American crews .o wait didn't they do that in enigma ,where the Americans and not the British captured the inigma code machine.
Niggar was the dogs name niggar was the code word for the dams to break and that's how it should stay .put a disclaimer up if they don't want to offend

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2011, 07:44 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

lots of this about. read and article recently about a teacher who was suspended for using the word niggardly.

see this Wikipedia entry.

it also lists the "water buffalo" incident. if Tolkien can use it and not be called a racist, it's ok with me. it's all in the context folks.

Last edited by bigsinky; 11 June 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11 June 2011, 08:06 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I certainly agree that the N word is used by the people described, so what’s the problem with other people using it, seems to be what people are sayingn

But to me It is one of ownership and in the case of th N word being used by "Gansta's" shows more of a cultural identity etc

For instance, you might think your mum is a **** sucking **** with a rancid smelling cvnt – but when you hear a random guy down the pub, or your best friend refer to her in the same terms – it is somehow different

personaly I would not use it

and I agree the niggardly incident was pathetic btw -- totaly different word

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 11 June 2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: edited to avoid confusion
Old 11 June 2011, 08:17 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like how you believe you should be able to use it, yet call it the N work lol ..
Old 11 June 2011, 08:18 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Fry is an idiot anyway, I royally dislike the guy. Too far up his own.........
Old 11 June 2011, 08:33 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Fry is an idiot anyway, I royally dislike the guy. Too far up his own.........
erm...... i think it is actually someone else who is hanging out of the back of him.
Old 11 June 2011, 08:38 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I like how you believe you should be able to use it, yet call it the N work lol ..
the question in the first line of my post was rhetorical, and summerised the general consensus in the thread so far - not my views

apologies if i did not make that clear

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 11 June 2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11 June 2011, 09:48 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

It's history.It's what was happening at the time.If you don't want to know what happened at the time don't re-create the factsIt's like the famous photo of Isambard Brunnel with his large top hat & cigar.They wanted to removed the cigar from the picture as smoking is not now PC.My opinion is that the dog was more likely named from the Latin.I don't think posh English RAF types in 1940's would use that N word as it is used today.Not to say they were not racist & had plenty of derogatory racist words.It was differnt world then with different values that would be totally un-aceptable today but it was what happened.

What if you made a film about slavery & white people in the film called the slaves diggers?
Old 11 June 2011, 10:26 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Like the christmas song where they removed ****** then put it back in. If its a true story then they should keep the name. The world is getting stupid...

Last edited by RobsyUK; 11 June 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spellings
Old 11 June 2011, 10:31 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

The worst thing about all of this is that they are even re-making the Dam Busters - it's bound to be terrible, the original was a masterpiece and does not need remaking!
Old 11 June 2011, 10:37 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default !!

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
The worst thing about all of this is that they are even re-making the Dam Busters - it's bound to be terrible, the original was a masterpiece and does not need remaking!
Probably blowing up dams in america too!

Last edited by RobsyUK; 11 June 2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spellings
Old 11 June 2011, 10:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They could quite easily put an announcement at the beginning of the film to explain calling the dog by his correct name ******, and say it is part of history and that no offence is implied by using his name accurately.

Les
Old 11 June 2011, 10:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well if they are, they'll be using American pilots........who will miss and kill the English actors.
Old 11 June 2011, 11:21 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

FFS it makes no difference whether the dog is called Digger or ******, I can see why the film makers want to avoid that one, wouldn't bother me either way but surely the film is about the Dam Busting not what the dog is called, the dog was named back then as part of the casual and all encompassing racism that happened, ****** brand Tobacco, ****** brown cloth and ****** toes liquorice, because the dog was black it got called ******, I would imagine then there werent that many black people to offend but I would expect even then shouting ****** at the top of your voice in the park to get your dog back would be embarrassing if there were any black people about.

Black people can use it as they like, if they want to call each other ***** and propagate a stereotype then thats up to them but most black people I have met really dont call each other *****.

Anyway, got to go and feed Paki the Cat
Old 11 June 2011, 11:36 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
FFS it makes no difference whether the dog is called Digger or ******, I can see why the film makers want to avoid that one, wouldn't bother me either way but surely the film is about the Dam Busting not what the dog is called, the dog was named back then as part of the casual and all encompassing racism that happened, ****** brand Tobacco, ****** brown cloth and ****** toes liquorice, because the dog was black it got called ******, I would imagine then there werent that many black people to offend but I would expect even then shouting ****** at the top of your voice in the park to get your dog back would be embarrassing if there were any black people about.

Black people can use it as they like, if they want to call each other ***** and propagate a stereotype then thats up to them but most black people I have met really dont call each other *****.

Anyway, got to go and feed Paki the Cat
The dog didn't fly a plane, he was not an important part of the story, apart from to the tittering children watching. Oh and Nick Griffin. Lets let him be renamed Digger, I'm sure the film makers will be happy they have had the 'nod' from Scoobynet!

Jacko, you know you will be forced to change the cat's name to Patty, don't you!
Old 11 June 2011, 12:14 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
<snip> let's not let them alter historical facts. The start of a very slippery slope ...
You've not watched U-571 then!
Old 11 June 2011, 12:19 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Totally pathetic! What we know now to be offensive doesn't change history. No one in their right mind would name their dog that today but it was the name of the dog, their mascot and the code word for mission success.

Will they want to change his grave too?
Old 11 June 2011, 12:24 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
They could quite easily put an announcement at the beginning of the film to explain calling the dog by his correct name ******, and say it is part of history and that no offence is implied by using his name accurately.

Les
A good solution to a trivial problem.

My mother mentioned this to me this morning as she knew Guy Gibson when she lived a few doors away from him. She said he Guy would be turning in his grave if he knew what they were doing.

Chip
Old 11 June 2011, 01:02 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I would agree that it would be a good solution to just post something up at the start of the film, but I I guess that would not be enough for the lefties.

As it is, when the original film is repeated on television all references to ****** are cut. So, it may actually be better to misname the dog and at least get some references to his existence into the film.

I was very disappointed when I watched the original film with this part cut out. The death of ****** is a very poignant moment in the film, now dropped to the cutting room floor
Old 11 June 2011, 01:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All I can say is stuff the lefty PC Plonkers then!

Les
Old 11 June 2011, 01:31 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately Les I think they are here to stay.
Old 11 June 2011, 01:41 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Unfortunately Les I think they are here to stay.
Hope not they have ruined enough of this country already..
I won't be paying or even watching the film..

Old 11 June 2011, 09:06 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Should bring this back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zj6o_DZfSw

Quick Reply: Dam Busters dog renamed for movie remake