Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Job situation - What Shall I do

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2011, 04:50 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job situation - What Shall I do

At a company who have been promising a pay rise. Due to a management buyout of another company this will happen after this is complete. Been there nearly a year.

Got offered another job today for only another £4k but it means commuting 3 hours (1.5 each way) every day. Large company and progression is better it seems.

Have another job interview locally on Wednesday but this offer needs to be replied to by Monday ideally.

What shall I do?

Cannot relocate as have a young baby girl at home and the new potential employer won't negotiate on location of contract or salary. What they have said is that the location will be till Christmas and then I'll back back locally (for how long I don't know).

Current job I like and I can get away with sloping when I really need to but on the whole it's enjoyable. The only thing is, for a parent I need to get the best 'value for money' so am I doing myself/daughter/wife a disservice by staying? Originally only took the job because market was crap!

Last edited by SinghSuperStud; 10 June 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10 June 2011, 05:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Stay put. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I could never travel 1.5hours a day each way for an extra £4k. After tax, and the added petrol money, how much will you really be better off?

Working for a larger company is not always the right move. Smaller companies can reward far better the larger companies.
Old 10 June 2011, 05:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stilover
Stay put. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I could never travel 1.5hours a day each way for an extra £4k. After tax, and the added petrol money, how much will you really be better off?

Working for a larger company is not always the right move. Smaller companies can reward far better the larger companies.
This makes a lot of sense, especially with a new young family.
Old 10 June 2011, 05:03 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

yup whats the present commute, then add them hours you'll miss with the small one.
Old 10 June 2011, 05:11 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Unless you're desperate to move stay where you are, you'll know when the right opportunity comes along, if this offer was the right opportunity for you, I doubt you'd have come on here to ask our opinions!
Old 10 June 2011, 06:20 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Yes - I think you're all right - by the time I factor in time, petrol etc it's dead.

But I think it's perfectly acceptable to use this offer to try and drive something better out of my current employer? I have definitely added value to the business since I've been there and I know they are doing well so think this buyout is just an excuse?

Even if I get an extra £2k it'll be better than a slap in the face? I do want to stay where I am but at the same time we're weighing up options about wife going back off maternity leave or taking another 3 months (completely unpaid) off etc and buying our own property in the future...... All these factors considered I think my current employer would be able to see that I'm not taking the **** but am being reasonable and only asking due to my circumstances?
Old 10 June 2011, 06:22 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Stay where you are for now. If you work out how much of that £4k you will get minus your petrol , wear and tear etc then work out an hourly rate for the extra hours you are away from home it will work out as peanuts.

Chip

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2011, 06:31 PM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
the new potential employer won't negotiate on location of contract or salary. What they have said is that the location will be till Christmas and then I'll back back locally (for how long I don't know).
That says everything to me. If they won't negotiate with an employee about something that seems perfectly reasonable, then I wouldn't entertain them.

Everything is just too uncertain and it seems that they are putting pressure on you to make a decision while there are things that haven't been cleared up yet.

From your tone, I think you know this wouldn't be a good move for you. You're probably tempted by the extra money - no matter how little - but it doesn't sound like a good decision from what you've said.

I've made that mistake a couple of times, thinking it would probably be OK, and by the end of the first day in both jobs I knew I'd made a mistake. You have to be certain it's the right thing for you.
Old 10 June 2011, 07:18 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Depends on how "Irreplacable" you believe yourself to be.
Careful though - Your current employer might not take kindly to your tactics and you could end up out on your ear. Are you THAT brilliant?
Old 10 June 2011, 07:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

accept the job hand in your notice and see if they offer you extra to stay it may be that they will discuss why you are leaving and when you mention why they may offer you more.

If you get to be working your notice attend your other interview and see which job is best.
Old 10 June 2011, 07:25 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Extra money isn't everything.

I would take being happy in my job and working with a good bunch of people over being a few £k richer but not liking the job.

People always seem to look at the money sideof things and totally underestimate the value of a good working environment.
Old 10 June 2011, 10:11 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
Yes - I think you're all right - by the time I factor in time, petrol etc it's dead.

But I think it's perfectly acceptable to use this offer to try and drive something better out of my current employer? I have definitely added value to the business since I've been there and I know they are doing well so think this buyout is just an excuse?

Even if I get an extra £2k it'll be better than a slap in the face? I do want to stay where I am but at the same time we're weighing up options about wife going back off maternity leave or taking another 3 months (completely unpaid) off etc and buying our own property in the future...... All these factors considered I think my current employer would be able to see that I'm not taking the **** but am being reasonable and only asking due to my circumstances?
Br careful how you do it, and make sure you would be happy with the other job if your current employer wont offer you anything, you may end up just peeing them off in the long run
Old 11 June 2011, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well you know your employers and whether they might take the hump if you tried to blackmail them into paying you more money.

Bit of a risk I would have thought,and the move does not sound good with all that commuting in particular,you also are happy with your present firm as far as work is concerned.

Is it worth risking upsetting your present employers?

Les
Old 13 June 2011, 12:18 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Well I've not had a chance to speak to my current manager as yet but have declined the second job offer anyway.

Thanks for the advice and comments - I did have an inkling already about what I'd do but it's good to get alternative thoughts from others 'looking in'.

Will keep you posted on how I decide to play it with my current employer
Old 13 June 2011, 02:37 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

The employer who I've already declined have since called back and offered me an additional £6k so giving me an extra £10k than where I am now .....

seriously tempted!! I can put up with the hassle for the extra £10k till Christmas now

Changed anybody's opinions?
Old 13 June 2011, 02:41 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

well its getting there, maybe 6k or so after tax less your fuel etc.
Old 13 June 2011, 03:05 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say for £10k jump it is definitely worth it plus with better potential for progression. How else are you going to get a £10k pay rise? Also if you do decide to move again, you effectively command a higher salary for negotiation. I do a 3 hour commute everyday involving on foot, car, overland train and the underground and have been doing so for many years so I'm pretty much used to it. I still have time to see my kids in the morning and in the evening when I get home.
Old 13 June 2011, 03:08 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All you have to do is tell your current company, that another company has offered you a position for an increased amount. You say you would like to consider it, and the main reason for moving is that it adds extra £ to your account. you then politely ask them if there is a likelyhood of them being able to mach the new jobs salary, or close to match it, as you like the working environment you are already in, and would like to stay if possible.
Old 13 June 2011, 03:13 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richy P1984
All you have to do is tell your current company, that another company has offered you a position for an increased amount. You say you would like to consider it, and the main reason for moving is that it adds extra £ to your account. you then politely ask them if there is a likelyhood of them being able to mach the new jobs salary, or close to match it, as you like the working environment you are already in, and would like to stay if possible.
That's the plan for before I leave today as I need to answer the other company before close of play too!!

I am just weary of being taken as a mercenary as people have stated above - need to come across as sincere rather than somebody who's trying to get money at all costs lol
Old 13 June 2011, 03:17 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I'd say for £10k jump it is definitely worth it plus with better potential for progression. How else are you going to get a £10k pay rise? Also if you do decide to move again, you effectively command a higher salary for negotiation. I do a 3 hour commute everyday involving on foot, car, overland train and the underground and have been doing so for many years so I'm pretty much used to it. I still have time to see my kids in the morning and in the evening when I get home.
To commute each day (Walsall > Bury St Edmunds) I'd have to be out of the house for 5.30am and wouldn't be back till after 8/9pm. This doesn't phase me yet (don't know how I will feel after I've done it for a few days though)!

If it means I can better provide for my family then needs must but I don't want to sacrifice the time with my baby daughter

Does anybody have any tips about travelling via car/train to Bury St Edmunds? Trains don't appear to be regular unless from down South and a friend said it's a single lane road for a massive stretch so car would take an eternity!
Old 13 June 2011, 03:36 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 3 kids and I do my utmost to provide the best I can to give them the best start to their lives. I have sacraficed some time with my family as I believe what I am doing is for the best in the long run. It makes me more committed to spending as much time with them on holidays and weekends and I strongly believe that my kids are happier now than if I stayed in a lower paid job. My parents were the same, worked very long hours 7 days a week, so I guess this lifestyle is ingrained in me. It's a fine balance between work/money and family that only you can decide on at the end of the day.
Old 13 June 2011, 03:51 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

I have just spoken to my current manager who was as good as gold and could see I was being sincere and ultimately wanted the best for my family.

He will be asking the other directors in the business about whether they can up my basic and will let me know tomorrow.

Old 13 June 2011, 04:00 PM
westallc
Scooby Regular

imo sacrificing time with my youngster for more £££ is something i would never consider!!!

they are young only once and its the best to be around them putting them to bed etc etc

with the new job you might be able to get a few more toys etc etc but you will not see them growing up imo

money isnt everything your kids are !!

hope you make the right choice
Old 13 June 2011, 04:03 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by westallc
imo sacrificing time with my youngster for more £££ is something i would never consider!!!

they are young only once and its the best to be around them putting them to bed etc etc

with the new job you might be able to get a few more toys etc etc but you will not see them growing up imo

money isnt everything your kids are !!

hope you make the right choice
I fully agree with you mate - hence the reason if I do take it, I'd commute on a daily basis so I can be here for the goodnights, etc etc. Also - by me taking a better paid job, it means my wife doesn't have to go back to work (unless she really wants to) and can instead spend that time with the little 'un

More money equals less pressure all around ... at least or the time being. It'sonly till Christmas (then they'll move me back to local office) so I just need to put up with it until then

cheers
Old 13 June 2011, 05:23 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Nice one fella 10k is 10k

It's all about the money
Old 14 June 2011, 12:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No it isn't!

Les
Old 14 June 2011, 12:40 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Nice one fella 10k is 10k

It's all about the money
Is it a sizeable chunk I agree but these days it's not just about the money - travelling time, fuel, car etc etc and by the time you've realised all you see of the extra cash is a few hundred - hardly seems worthwhile!

Had to do something really unprofessional:

Current employer can't tell me any updates on his convo with the other directors till this afternoon and the new potential employer needed an answer this morning (already delayed as much as I could) so I've had to email them my acceptance to at least bank that offer.

regardless of what happens it does make me feel good that on the basis of a quick 5 min conversation somebody upped their offer by another £6k and it now breaks my current basic salary ceiling - just goes to show that you that there is opportunity out there, you've just got to be hungry!