Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

France - Suggestions and advice please (inc Monaco GP)

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2011, 09:00 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question France - Suggestions and advice please (inc Monaco GP)

So, I've pretty much sorted out the when and where's, but would appreciate advice from the well travelled folk of SNet about the best places to visit, the essential must see/do's, and any other tips to make this an awesome trip.

We sail overnight on May 20/21 to arrive in Paris on Monday morning. We won't get into our hotel until late after noon, so will need somewhere to leave the car and somewhere to go. I guess that the Metro is the way to move around in Paris, so advice on how best to use this would be appreciated. Do you just PAYG, or is it best to get a day rover type ticket ?

Tuesday and Wednesday are all Paris, and of course we will do the usual Eiffel Tower, but what else is especially good. The g/f and kids (4 and 1) won't be too bothered for The Louvre I don't think. I recall someone mentioning a theme park thing which fills many hours ?

On Thursday we will be leaving Paris and heading down to the Burgundy region, staying on the edge of the Morvan National Park until Saturday morning. This is flexible if anyone can recommend anywhere better, but we would like to see some stunning countryside, maybe do some cycling, walking, and visit a winery.

We arrive in Cannes on Saturday and will probably just check in, grab a meal and relax that evening in readiness for Monaco on Sunday morning. Advice on securing F1 tickets would be great, and also the best way to and from Monte Carlo for the day. A workmate has suggested the local train, but again, will I need to pre-book at this special time, or just go to the station and get on. We wil probably go back to Monaco the following Friday to see it out of F1 mode too, and probably drive there just so I can do the Col de Turini. Apart from the excellent beaches, what else is a must-do in the South of France ?

We'll be leaving Cannes on Saturday the 2nd June, and doing the VERY long drive to Le Redour where my mate lives, going via the Millau Bridge. Once at my mates he'll have our excursions planned, but is there anything else en-route that is a must apart from the bridge ?

The homeward journey on Thursday 7th June is an 8 hour slog back to Dunkirk, but I might consider calling in at Le Mans or Reims. Reims looks pretty much a ghost track, so little else to do but take a few pics to say you've been. I'd guess Le Mans itself is difficult to get on and is in daily use for trackdays, races, private testing and events ?!?! Any other suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
Old 04 June 2011, 10:28 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Get tickets from www.acm.mc and nowhere else, they will be on sale around Oct.

Train is best way into Monaco for the GP , pre-book tickets vis SNCF website.

Monaco will be like a construction site for about 2 weeks after the GP so you wont really see the real Monaco a week after.

I'll PM you a load of info when I get a minute.

Chip
Old 04 June 2011, 10:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chip √
Old 05 June 2011, 10:34 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I just posted about French toll liber-t pass now available to Brits, a must have if driving in France
Old 05 June 2011, 06:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jaybird
Old 13 August 2011, 06:31 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There appears to be some sites selling tickets for Monaco 2012, but I was advised to buy from the ACM (Automobile Club de Monaco). Are these sites legit ?

http://www.bookf1.com/monaco-formula...98/tickets.htm
Old 13 August 2011, 04:26 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

CB,

Will PM you a load of info in a min.

Chip
Old 13 August 2011, 09:26 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

For a driving experience, take the motorway from Clermont Ferrand to Milau. It is free and a fantastic road, it has everything
Old 13 August 2011, 10:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Will be passing through Millau en-route to a friends place for a few days √