How do i finish up with the builders \ Extension work

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2011, 10:29 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do i finish up with the builders \ Extension work

Hi,

I think i am on the last few days of the building work now, a single story rear extension.

Room will be painted tommrow and the electrics completed by Friday.

I owe the builder £3000, and i just want them out. They have done a fantastic job, however little things he has charged for we are only taking £300 - £400 for i did not like, eg, plastic beading for the window will cost me £50 if i want it in brown color!

anyway..before i part with the cash on Friday what should i consider?

I have spoken to the building regs: to get completion the surveyor needs to come out to have a look and they can do that Monday if called before 10am... should i make the builder wait till then for the money or is that little unfair?

or maybe i could give him £1500 Friday and the rest Monday?

any pointers appreciated.
Old 01 June 2011, 10:33 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

id suggest paying half and agree that the rest be paid if there are no snaggs to be completed.
Old 01 June 2011, 11:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jamo
id suggest paying half and agree that the rest be paid if there are no snaggs to be completed.
+1
Old 01 June 2011, 11:22 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Surely this should have been discussed when they quoted you??
They are quite within their rights to demand full payment before leaving.
You don't go to Tesco's and suggest you pay half now and then the other half if you like the food!

Sorry for being sarcastic but you have to see it from the builders point of view as well.
Old 01 June 2011, 11:56 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

yes but Tesco food does not cost £25k..and if it did you would take every measure to ensure it is all ok and not rotten.

If the surveyor does not approve of the building work Monday, it up to the builders to correct it (as this means they have not done there job correctly)..and if i pay them Friday i will more then likely never see then again

thanks guys..

Last edited by SamUK; 01 June 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01 June 2011, 12:08 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Most honorable builders will fully understand that final payments will only be paid when the man from the council signs it off!

To be fair our builder phoned the council chap himself all the way through the build so didn't have to wait long for a sign off.

We had a full house built and the builder was fine about waiting for sign off and even waited another week for us to find any other snags before we paid him! (although we had given him staggered payments but not the whole sum)

If it aint right don't pay!!

Ads

Last edited by specialx; 01 June 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01 June 2011, 12:27 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Had a £10K single storey extension build on my place a couple of years back - 50% on completion of building & joinery works a further 25% when building control issued their certificate, and the final 25% three months later after I was happy there were no leaks, from outside or the plumbing and that the plaster didn't crack. Glad I retained £2.5K, as 2 months after building control issued their certificate the ceiling plaster developed major cracks as it didn't take to the plasterboard, and the whole lot had to come down and be re-done. Maybe the builder would have valued his reputation enough to return, but for £2,500, he was back within 3 days to put it right.
Old 01 June 2011, 01:17 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Does depend on the builder, the one we used was only a small company and seemed to rely on payments to maintain his cash flow. However we built up a good understanding throughout the build and I would trust him with just about anything. Still not got round to getting building control round to sign it off however I don't doubt that as and when they do if any issues are identified (they won't be) he'll be back to sort it............

.......either that or I'll see the ****** in court
Old 01 June 2011, 02:35 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Had a £10K single storey extension build on my place a couple of years back - 50% on completion of building & joinery works a further 25% when building control issued their certificate, and the final 25% three months later after I was happy there were no leaks, from outside or the plumbing and that the plaster didn't crack. Glad I retained £2.5K, as 2 months after building control issued their certificate the ceiling plaster developed major cracks as it didn't take to the plasterboard, and the whole lot had to come down and be re-done. Maybe the builder would have valued his reputation enough to return, but for £2,500, he was back within 3 days to put it right.

There's no way I would sign up to wait 3 months , I take pride in my work and if a customer had a problem I would be there as soon as.
The £2500 you held back for 90 days could of been his wages for the job

Paying half Friday and the other after signing off sounds fair enough if quick enough
Not every builder is a scam artist who runs with the £'s.......I've had the same mobile number 10 years
Andi
Old 01 June 2011, 02:39 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Does depend on the builder, the one we used was only a small company and seemed to rely on payments to maintain his cash flow. However we built up a good understanding throughout the build and I would trust him with just about anything. Still not got round to getting building control round to sign it off however I don't doubt that as and when they do if any issues are identified (they won't be) he'll be back to sort it............

.......either that or I'll see the ****** in court

Words from a wise one ^^^^
if you don't trust your builder......you've had the wrong one
I get all my work from word of mouth and if it's quiet I sub to bigger firms
In over 10 years I've never advertised
Old 01 June 2011, 04:11 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

My extension has cost me £21k, nothing complicated..

The builder asked for £1k today, i said i can give you £1500 today and the other once the council approved the work is up to standards...hopefully Monday..

All agreed and ok.

Not all builders are scammers, but most are and will try to get away with what they can!

My builder tried afew times to scam me, and i caught him out..he wanted £40 for a chrome radiator pipe...yea right! bought it for £8 from the local plumbing shop and handed it to him! lol other few times, i did not bother as i just want them out, afew £100 wont kill me!