Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scottish Independance

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2011, 05:14 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Scottish Independance

With the SNP going for gold, how would they fund themselves if they got independence?
Old 06 May 2011, 05:30 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can have their independence so long as they dont expect to be bailed out when they get into trouble. I would imagine they think all of the oil is theirs too.

Chip
Old 06 May 2011, 05:41 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Salmond seems to want to run the country on oil money. He's got everything people look for at the local level, he really does try to get you everything, but the stuff he's beginning to promise on a national level is the road to ruin. We'll also presumably be straight to the EU for their currency etc, in a 'monetary union'.

FWIW I don't think many people are for independence, they just vote for the SNP because of the rhetoric - as always. Of course independence could be a great thing for Scotland if it gets rid of all the worst things currently holding the UK back, but there is no chance of that happening and it'll probably end up much worse.

Still, it sounds good, but the majority of people don't realise that for the government to give, they first have to take.
Old 06 May 2011, 05:42 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The only point of Scottish independence is to give the SNP politicians more power.

Other than that it serves no purpose.
Old 06 May 2011, 05:43 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I suspect they have their eye on the oil revenue and whatever funds they can screw out the EU. To be fair most of the oil would belong to them according to the default "rules of the sea" definitions - but most of the gas would belong to England.
Old 06 May 2011, 05:52 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

1. Oil is running out. More sustainable sources of energy are required. (Stating the obvious, I know)
2. The oil will probably just fund the free prescriptions, free further education and free nursing home care.

Its a pipe dream by Salmond, and I hope he achieves it. I can't wait to see him or whoever is his successor coming back to London with his sporran between his legs looking for a few bob to light the street lights.
Old 06 May 2011, 06:35 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

The thing is, for most that voted for them its not about wanting independence. They have delivered on some very popular policies and not dropped the ball too often in the last 4 years.

If they have a referendum on it, I'd be suprised of a yes vote. If there is a yes result, it'd be very close.

If Greater Glasgow was in England, I'd vote yes. The rest of us cant afford to keep them without England's help
Old 06 May 2011, 06:47 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if ever a piece of vandalism was needed its the welcome to scotland sign on the motorway , it needs a few extra words
SPONSERED BY ENGLAND
Old 06 May 2011, 06:52 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

SPONSORED!
Old 06 May 2011, 07:00 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Whys everyone so sure it wouldnt work ?

Theres other plans in place for re-newable energy when the oil runs out ?
Old 06 May 2011, 07:02 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
SPONSORED!
oh allright lol ive had a hard day at work lol it was ment as a joke post
Old 06 May 2011, 07:07 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

and surely the SNP can do a better job than that lot down south ?

And FWIW i hope we do go independant

1: So I can rub it in your face when it does work, surely Mr. Salmond knows if it'll work better than the members of scoobynet ?

and 2: Because I've still not forgiven you for what you did to William Wallace !
Old 06 May 2011, 07:08 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madscoob
if ever a piece of vandalism was needed its the welcome to scotland sign on the motorway , it needs a few extra words
SPONSERED BY ENGLAND
Not forgetting the Border rock on the A68
Old 06 May 2011, 07:14 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
How much was Holyrood over budget again?

A palatial monument to SNP hubris made from 1000 oak trees.

Independence would be awful. The SNP are this backwards lefty movement who would rather become vassals of the EU just to **** off the English.
Old 06 May 2011, 07:23 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As soon as Scotland loses the cash from the Barnett Formula I think they would struggle, even with oil money. Look what happened to Rhodesia when they declared UDI........

Shaun
Old 06 May 2011, 07:24 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010

And FWIW i hope we do go independant

1: So I can rub it in your face when it does work, surely Mr. Salmond knows if it'll work better than the members of scoobynet ?

and 2: Because I've still not forgiven you for what you did to William Wallace !
Have you even heard of the Barnett formula?
Old 06 May 2011, 07:32 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

It always amuses me how many English people accuse 'the Scots' of having a chip on their shoulder and a petty grudge towards England, and then some of the comments in these threads provide evidence of the very opposite.

Thing is, the only people you get that from up here are scummy neds from estates in the big towns... I'm talking about ill educated people. There are plenty of them in England too with similar opinions. Perhaps opinion is too kind a term - inherited dogma will suffice.
Old 06 May 2011, 07:41 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
It always amuses me how many English people accuse 'the Scots' of having a chip on their shoulder and a petty grudge towards England, and then some of the comments in these threads provide evidence of the very opposite.

Thing is, the only people you get that from up here are scummy neds from estates in the big towns... I'm talking about ill educated people. There are plenty of them in England too with similar opinions. Perhaps opinion is too kind a term - inherited dogma will suffice.
I notice in Scotland that all the posh and respectable Scots have English accents.
Old 06 May 2011, 07:45 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I don't have anything against the Scots as a people, but the combination of the independence rhetoric from Salmond and the lack of a level playing field in things like prescription charges and university tuition funded largely by English largesse sticks in the craw. For example, did you know that one perverse effect of the Barnett formula to is funnel part of the tuition fees paid by students at English universities to the Scottish Executive to fund their spending - how is that fair?
Old 06 May 2011, 07:49 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I notice in Scotland that all the posh and respectable Scots have English accents.
Many English men come up here in search of their wives who fled them in favour of a rough and ready Scotsman. They are, as you've pointed out, quite often limp-wri.... posh and respectable.
Old 06 May 2011, 08:14 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I lived in Scotland for 3 months after we bought a business up there. I stayed in a Kelvin Grove apartment in Glasgow and then a hotel in a really nice East Lothian village. I remember being absolutely amazed at the difference in attitudes between the Glaswegians (with some exceptions of course) and the guys from Edinburgh (likewise). The former seemed to be of the view that we were invaders looking to ruin them and the latter were accomodating, supportive and enthusiastic. Such a tangible difference. Glasgow had the best lap-dancing club - can't remember what it was called; below the Charing Cross Premier Inn, iirc. Blew the best part of £300 when my Sales Director stayed.
Old 06 May 2011, 08:16 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Interesting to note that many of SN's Scots are unionists (as am I). As far as I'm concerned maintaining the union with England is for the best, sentimentalism being put to one side - we are supposed to be "canny Scots" after all! Not forgetting the Taffs and Norn Oirland.

Scots can "sound" and be respectible without sounding English, Tony.

Andythe BritJock
Old 06 May 2011, 08:18 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I lived in Scotland for 3 months after we bought a business up there. I stayed in a Kelvin Grove apartment in Glasgow and then a hotel in a really nice East Lothian village. I remember being absolutely amazed at the difference in attitudes between the Glaswegians (with some exceptions of course) and the guys from Edinburgh (likewise). The former seemed to be of the view that we were invaders looking to ruin them and the latter were accomodating, supportive and enthusiastic. Such a tangible difference. Glasgow had the best lap-dancing club - can't remember what it was called; below the Charing Cross Premier Inn, iirc. Blew the best part of £300 when my Sales Director stayed.
At least you enjoyed the lapdancing clubs TJ! Don't think all weegies are anti English, it's just the few that are will be rather vocal!
Old 06 May 2011, 08:24 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Lap dancing club? You do realise they come free in Glasgow don't you? For approximately the same effort as is required to tie your shoe laces. Of course you might have to visit the doctor a few days later, but hey!

It's interesting the difference you noticed. Being Scottish (and less than an hour away from both Edinburgh and Glasgow) I've always thought it gets friendlier the further west you go, and more miserable and less chatty the further east you go. Don't get me wrong, Edinburgh is a lovely place with nice people, but I tend to think they can be a bit backwards in coming forwards.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 06 May 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06 May 2011, 08:32 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

P.S. Sorry Andy, you miserable c*nt.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 06 May 2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added smiley incase said miserable c*nt took offense
Old 06 May 2011, 08:51 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

P.S. Sorry Andy, you miserable c*nt.

I'm told I'm quite upbeat and chatty for an Edinburgher.
Old 06 May 2011, 08:53 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I agree that Glasgow is more chatty than Edinburgh....the problem is what you are usually being told is to hand over your wallet or face steel in your stomach. Personally, I'd rather be ignored in the East than chibbed in the West
Old 06 May 2011, 08:55 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
At least you enjoyed the lapdancing clubs TJ! Don't think all weegies are anti English, it's just the few that are will be rather vocal!
Those girls were awesome, Andy, and I take your point second point. I did notice a correlation between an individual's posture and their chosen football team, btw. Ironically, I used to wear a Celtic shirt when I was a kid, I liked it because they were the same colours as Plymouth Argyle....then I began to learn about religion and politics.

Lap dancing club? You do realise they come free in Glasgow don't you? For approximately the same effort as is required to tie your shoe laces. Of course you might have to visit the doctor a few days later, but hey!

It's interesting the difference you noticed. Being Scottish (and less than an hour away from both Edinburgh and Glasgow) I've always thought it gets friendlier the further west you go, and more miserable and less chatty the further east you go. Don't get me wrong, Edinburgh is a lovely place with nice people, but I tend to think they can be a bit backwards in coming forwards.
Yep, I'd go with the East-West notion - Ayr had probably the most depressing feel but I liked Sterling; Perth was probably my favourite town in the East. I quite enjoyed the Glaswegian's passion and yes, the Edinburgh mentality appears more conservative. I imagine if I were a Scot, on the issue of independence, my heart would say yes and my head no. Ultimately, I'd follow my head.
Old 06 May 2011, 09:01 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever seen a leach suck blood of its host filling itself on your lifes blood, until finally it drop off the host, fat and destined to die....

thats not an analagy or anything

......the oil is ours because its in the sea and last time i checked Scotlands NAVY is not worth a wa!nk!

Quick Reply: Scottish Independance