Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How much for a wireless dongle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2011, 09:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for a wireless dongle!!!

Normal price about £20, but if you want one for your Blu ray player, they rocket to about £60-£80!!!, and like MS only their proprietary wireless dongle will work with there equipment..... well almost

After a bit of research, i found that there are alternatives that use the same chipsets (that's how they lock out other dongles .. but its hit and miss if they work ...£17 later i confirmed the model shipped from Germany has a different revision of the chipset

Never one to give in, i remembered seeing in the local av emporium wirless ethernet bridges, guaranteed to work, but not that far off the price of the "genuine item" (£40!)... not much of a saving.....

I remembered i had an wireless bridge somewhere, but then remembered i smashed it to bits as it wouldn't talk to my router at the time (Netgear)... which in hind site, although therapeutic, was the wrong item to smash, it should have been the Netgear lol ....

So no wirless bridge. .... but some wireless routers....

Lots of Google later, and many false starts, i would appear that you cant use two wireless routers as an Ethernet bridge... or would it

came across this link
http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=WDS

and gave it a try.......

it works!!!

So for the cost of an old wireless router £10 I can stream from the server upstairs to the Blu Ray player, and into the Av amp, as well as the rest of the computers

If anyone wants to give it a go, i used a Thompson Speedtouch as the main router (Be's) free one, and a Belkin as the other side so to speak.
If you have a Thompson supplied by AOL, it may not work, as the firmware is locked out

Now to work on the NAS system

Mart
Old 25 April 2011, 12:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What a performance that was!

Les
Old 25 April 2011, 12:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I don't think I would have had the patience to sort that out!! I would have either spent the £80 or if you had a wired ethernet port on the blu ray, I would just run a short cable to any old router to get it all to work.
Old 25 April 2011, 03:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Or use a homeplug on the blu ray player ?
Old 25 April 2011, 07:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Homeplugs would have been a big on cost,and may not be interference free in our place, and would have meant free sockets needed in locations i didnt have.
Hardwiring, whilst would have been the easiest way (in this instance,) would have meant running a cat5 cable around the room, to the router, and its a long way from the Bluray etc

This way i use up some old kit that was knocking around, and gave me the satisfaction of finding a solution that worked (somewhat cheaper than the available options)

And I hate admitting defeat

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 25 April 2011 at 07:11 PM.