Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do dogs ever get full

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2011, 07:05 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do dogs ever get full

Iv'e got 2 parsons russells and you would think they were great danes with the amount they can eat, especially the bitch.
They always seem to be hungry and bolt their food like they have not been fed for a week.
We got the dog first he's a year older, and was not really a greedy dog, but the bitch my god you've never seen any thing like it .
big bowl of food gone in 30 seconds and if you give her the same again 2 mins later it's the same, i know this as i tried it once just to see if she would calm down and if i was feeding her enough i dare not give her a third for fear she would burst.

Anyone have experience of this.

And out on a walk she will try and eat all sorts if you don't keep an eye on her.
she is well trained so when i tell her to leave it she does which i do as she has a delicate stomach and will throw up even at the slightest change in her diet.
Old 16 April 2011, 07:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son's SBT actually eats his own dog food okay, not too much. But he is always looking for other things to eat e.g. food under preperation for humans etc. My son won't let him have any of that. This SBT is very fond of carrots. So, when he acts restless for the food being cooked etc., my son launches a carrot in the air for him, which keeps him quiet for a bit.

Not saying that you should feed carrots to your dog as a calming or filling in-between meals snack. You already say that your dog has delicate stomach. But there may be something she can chew on, just to feel satisfied, which may help.
Old 16 April 2011, 07:28 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mutt who is called scabber's in my house hold is always HUNGRY and like your's would swear it hasn't been fed for a month!
Also cleans the floors of crumbs and dropped food at meal times and would ravage the bins if he could get to them,such a little wan*er imho
Old 16 April 2011, 07:49 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

They say dog's eat like that, as they always seem to think it'll be their last meal.

Some sort of instinct or summit...
Old 16 April 2011, 08:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm a dog
Old 16 April 2011, 08:29 PM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

They got worms??
Old 16 April 2011, 08:46 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I'm a dog
WOOF

Trending Topics

Old 16 April 2011, 08:59 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think of it as an instinctive thing rather than hunger. That's why mostly all dogs bolt their food, as to them they don't know if they are going to get another meal ever again, yes they really are that stupid
Old 16 April 2011, 09:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackcountryboy
They got worms??
No just greedy, i've had lots of dogs over the years but never one like this bitch, the dog will stop when you try and burst him but she will just keep going no matter how much you feed her, and constant grazing at any thing even sheep poo
Now i know where the expression wolfing your food down comes from.
Old 16 April 2011, 09:03 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

In the wild dogs who are low in the pecking order will gulp down what they can, when they can as they don't know when they will eat again.
Old 16 April 2011, 10:15 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Yes i understand this but you would think having been fed twice a day all her adult life she might realise that it wont be the last meal.

and prior to that 4 times a day. really does not matter how much you give her she will keep eating it.

she learns other things via repetition why not this..
Old 16 April 2011, 11:36 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Dont do the 2+ lots of food thing. If they ingest too much food it can cause a twisted stomach which can be fatal.

Even though they may act like they are starving, they aren't. As above due to their history, dogs will eat as much as they can get, whenever they can get it, as deep down they never know when the next lot of food is going to come. . You would think they would learn, because as you said they can take in other things why not this. Its just a inbuilt thing I suppose

What do you feed them on?

Don't give in to them too much, no matter how hungry she appears! The older they get, the more weight they will add as they wont be as energetic, causing health problems later in life
Old 17 April 2011, 12:07 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yes i understand this but you would think having been fed twice a day all her adult life she might realise that it wont be the last meal.

and prior to that 4 times a day. really does not matter how much you give her she will keep eating it.

she learns other things via repetition why not this..
lol dogs can learn instructions yes but they aren't smart. Anyway as said it's an instinctive reaction to eat anything when food is around.

Put it this way if Kelly Brook was presented to you naked 4 times a day for some **** action, would you say no if you were told not to? Yea exactly...
Old 17 April 2011, 12:20 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

My dogs are not like that, they eat what they want and thats it. They get one cup full of dry food in the morning, and one in the evening. One is a 20kg Staffie, and the other is a 10kg French Bulldog.
Old 17 April 2011, 04:11 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

my sandy is exactly the same and when she was younger she used to try and eat of the ground, so I had to spend a bit of time on the lead with if I see a piece chicken bone on the floor I would walk towards it and train to leave when ever she left I would give her a treat me and my mrs did that for a while and also changed her dry food from bakers and pedigree chum to orijin dog food and I must say she's doing very well, it's expensive stuff but so far so good.

when dogs try to eat poo ect it's cause there body is lacking nutrient.
Old 17 April 2011, 05:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I know about over feeding them being a bad thing, although they both get a bit more than the daily amount on their food buts thats be cause they are doing 12 miles a day with me most days and i starve them once a month for 24 hrs and they are in fantastic shape.

I also trained them both not to eat anything until i say so, and you can put a steak in front of the pair of them and leave the room for an hour and it will still be there when i get back, but with her it's the little bits of bounty see finds while out hunting that you have to watch out for.

As for the poo eating yes but thats eating their own which she does not do, it's the sheep poo she seems to want to eat and i have to keep her close so as to stop her doing it when we go by my neighbours sheep.

I suppose it's nature over nurture, mind you she is as daft as a brush, and i was always told bitches are smarter but now having had one from a pup i'm sure that dogs are the clever ones, once you stop them chasing *****.
Old 17 April 2011, 12:01 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

fox is poo is supposed to be lethal, a lot of dogs love to roll on fox poo if it happens wash it off as foxes carry diseases.
Old 17 April 2011, 11:39 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Mus
when dogs try to eat poo ect it's cause there body is lacking nutrient.
Not strictly true. It could be a vitamin deficency such as vit k or b, but if it happens on a regular basis it could be a sign of something more serious going on.

It's quite common, and not abnormal. Many animals commit 'coprophagia' as it is a source of easily digestible vegetation or protein.

It could be eating poo due to hunger ( try feeding it about 1 hr before you go out for a walk), or maybe a bland diet so try changing it up a bit.. whilst it won't do them much harm, if your mutt eats poo then make sure you keep up to date with the worming!! How they can eat **** is beyond me - it makes me feel sick just typing all this!
Old 18 April 2011, 09:31 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Labrador = eat until they explode.
The yellow Lab we had as kids was just a stomach on legs; she'd eat anything and everything - except celery. We used to joke about keep feeding her to see if she would actually stop eating at some point.

One thing that surprised me about our two year old black Lab is that he doesn't eat as much as he can get hold of. Once he's had enough, he just leaves the rest.

The Cocker Spaniel really can eat though; he'll eat more than the Lab given any kind of chance to do so. I don't know where the greedy little sod puts it all.
Old 18 April 2011, 09:54 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Thats my problem i really don't know where she puts it all, i've had some large dogs over the years and i don't remember them being able to eat as much as this one.

She is 7kilos wet and im sure if i let her she would eat half her body weight.

Can you imagine if a human were to do that
Old 18 April 2011, 01:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ical-mass.html
Old 18 April 2011, 05:30 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Apparently the dogs down on Folkestone downs get full up, because is appears they're crapping everywhere