UK disposable income falls to lowest since 1921

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2011, 01:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry UK disposable income falls to lowest since 1921

Thanks a lot Cameron and Osborne

At least I can rest in the secure knowledge that you are both suffering in the same way as the rest of us .... how many 'Inherited' £Millions have you each got stashed away again?
Old 11 April 2011, 01:19 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't see how the current government, in power for less than a year, can be blamed for this. Surely come about due to the state Brown / Blair left the country in the the current lot have now got to try and pull us out of.

Don't see how their personal fortunes have any bearing on this? My disposable income is still enough for me though I am being a bit more careful about my spending as we won't be a two income household for much longer as the missus is on maternity leave. If you work hard then you get rewarded. Simple enough.
Old 11 April 2011, 01:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

we all like to berate the government, but in all truth its the banks fault, no one elses, don;t think anyone can argue that point without slinging bullsh1t lol
Old 11 April 2011, 03:02 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

I agree tidgy, tis the banks fault - BUT, the government LET them do what they do, which is a financial roulette.

Whos paying for it? We are, not the banks. They're making more profits than EVER but I dont see them helping anyone but themselves.
Old 11 April 2011, 03:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlh
I agree tidgy, tis the banks fault - BUT, the government LET them do what they do, which is a financial roulette.

Whos paying for it? We are, not the banks. They're making more profits than EVER but I dont see them helping anyone but themselves.
Blame Maggie for that, she instigated all this financial bs back in the late 70's early 80's.....

Tony
Old 11 April 2011, 04:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Don't see how the current government, in power for less than a year, can be blamed for this. Surely come about due to the state Brown / Blair left the country in the the current lot have now got to try and pull us out of.

Don't see how their personal fortunes have any bearing on this? My disposable income is still enough for me though I am being a bit more careful about my spending as we won't be a two income household for much longer as the missus is on maternity leave. If you work hard then you get rewarded. Simple enough.
Your Mrs isn't entitled to statutory maternity pay then?
Old 11 April 2011, 04:12 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

At least I can rest in the secure knowledge that you are both suffering in the same way as the rest of us .... how many 'Inherited' £Millions have you each got stashed away again?
And Blair is worth how much ?, pre and post PM please

Thought I'd ask again as your insomnia/dementia/parkinsons kicks in about now and it amuses me
Old 11 April 2011, 04:59 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Your Mrs isn't entitled to statutory maternity pay then?
But statutory pay is only something like £125 a week isn't?
I think what he means that she won't be bringing in as much as she was.

Same in our house mate.
Over the course of the 9month period, she will bring home around 75% of her normal salary once you consider child support.

Old 11 April 2011, 05:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

lol , like the cash we had to spend under Bambi's Nu labia was disposable ...

you do make me larf

Old 11 April 2011, 05:44 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Blair spent our money and gold reserves like a drunken sailor.

Have to agree about Cameron, he has no idea what "real people" look like since he was raised in a bubble of wealth.

Would also agree with the banks point, absolutley fair, just would add surely the government should have had installed tighter controls on what the banks could and could not do with our money>?..
Old 11 April 2011, 05:55 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you raised this subject a few months ago Pierre. Didn't get enough bites last time?
Old 11 April 2011, 06:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
But statutory pay is only something like £125 a week isn't?
I think what he means that she won't be bringing in as much as she was.

Same in our house mate.
Over the course of the 9month period, she will bring home around 75% of her normal salary once you consider child support.

Understood Chris, but I would think it still counts as an income even if financially closer to a part time one. Not accusing Mr Dodger of it, but it would look (in my opinion) arrogant to dismiss over £100 a week as not an income

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 11 April 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11 April 2011, 06:34 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Bankers.
Old 11 April 2011, 06:43 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Blame Maggie for that, she instigated all this financial bs back in the late 70's early 80's.....

Tony
But it wasn't Maggie who removed the regulators teeth was it...and it also wasn't Maggie who burried her head in the sand when it became apparant that huge risks were being taken by the financial institutions (although to be fair we are all guilty of that because most people did propser under Labour until the **** hit the fan). In fact iirc she\Norman left the country in the black
Old 11 April 2011, 06:51 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Pete's headline is an outrageous and blatant falsehood (although admittedly recopied from elsewhere).

It's the biggest drop in disposable income since 1921, not the lowest disposable income since 1921.

If people really were as badly off as back then, half of us would be eating turnip soup for dinner, £%^"ing in an outdoor khazi, and wearing the same set of shoes and clothes for a whole year at a time.
Old 11 April 2011, 06:54 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The BBC ran a story that in the last 2 years the average household has lost the equivalent of £1 a day.

£1 a day for that last 730 days.

£730 worse off today than this day 2 years ago.

What the f*ck does that mean? I can no longer spend £730 a day?

Trails - don't expect anything from the regulator. How can a regulator be indepedent when at it's head are all ex-bankers. When you look at any new rules to protect the consumer, the rules invariably have little effect on banks and are largely aimed at putting small advisory practices out of business.
Old 11 April 2011, 07:06 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you all including honda man need to watch zeitgiest on utube you would never blame a goverment again . all this is because of bankers and the rich/wealthy shareholders some of who just happen to be in goverment
http://youtu.be/0kHhc67GopM
Old 11 April 2011, 07:50 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Its very simple the banking and tax systems are designed to take money from the workers and give it to the wealthy elite. If the workers had any sense they would just stop working and let the **** hit the fan. If we create a proper economic collapse then the electronic money the elite use to run our lives will be worthless. There is no real downside apart from the loss of a few meaningless baubles. The population of the UK spend their lives working to buy pointless toys because advertising tells them that you must have a ****ty smart phone or stupid desinger bag. Don't work and don't pay tax and see how quickly the banking system gets changed.
Old 11 April 2011, 08:08 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Pete's headline is an outrageous and blatant falsehood (although admittedly recopied from elsewhere).

It's the biggest drop in disposable income since 1921, not the lowest disposable income since 1921.

If people really were as badly off as back then, half of us would be eating turnip soup for dinner, £%^"ing in an outdoor khazi, and wearing the same set of shoes and clothes for a whole year at a time.

Thats well put!

Ironically my friends in the main are all trying to drive their cars less, rather than buy a filthy old farts diesel so things like home shopping (delivery services) are popular with my chums, this is ironic since the government wants their fuel duty and is getting less of it; and they are not driving to shops to go shopping and popping into the other shops in the retail park and spending a few extra quid, thus lessoning the finanicial input into the economy. Double edged sword i guess this fuel duty....
Old 11 April 2011, 08:10 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

It's not the bankers' fault, a form of over-leverage merely catalysed the downfall of an overheated market. Governments love credit as it makes (what they spend it on) make them look good - as evidenced by the US's current criticism of the UK cuts as it's the polar opposite of their (stupid IMO) strategy of trying to spend their way out of the crisis (by pumping more and more cash into the system).

The UK is in poor shape because of large increases in recent years in public sector spending - i.e. deliberately spending more than the tax-take even at the height of the boom. It's an old trick politicians use to make them look popular - unfortunately it'll mean no-one learns. The Tories will be blamed for making the cuts that hurt, and people will welcome back the spendthrifts who caused the problem in the first place.

We're like a nation of teenagers who happily accept handouts from our parents, even though we secretly know they can't afford them, and then become hysterical about the unjustness of it all when dad reduces our pocket money because he's just lost his job. Same old boom and bust (just a shame that Brown caused it after claiming he'd done away with it!).

Gordo
Old 11 April 2011, 08:14 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
It's not the bankers' fault, a form of over-leverage merely catalysed the downfall of an overheated market. Governments love credit as it makes (what they spend it on) make them look good - as evidenced by the US's current criticism of the UK cuts as it's the polar opposite of their (stupid IMO) strategy of trying to spend their way out of the crisis (by pumping more and more cash into the system).

The UK is in poor shape because of large increases in recent years in public sector spending - i.e. deliberately spending more than the tax-take even at the height of the boom. It's an old trick politicians use to make them look popular - unfortunately it'll mean no-one learns. The Tories will be blamed for making the cuts that hurt, and people will welcome back the spendthrifts who caused the problem in the first place.

We're like a nation of teenagers who happily accept handouts from our parents, even though we secretly know they can't afford them, and then become hysterical about the unjustness of it all when dad reduces our pocket money because he's just lost his job. Same old boom and bust (just a shame that Brown caused it after claiming he'd done away with it!).

Gordo

Great read...
Old 11 April 2011, 08:20 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo
...We're like a nation of [spoilt!] teenagers who happily accept handouts from our parents, even though we secretly know they can't afford them, and then become hysterical about the unjustness of it all when dad reduces our pocket money because he's just lost his job. Same old boom and bust...

Gordo
Perfect analogy

Last edited by joz8968; 11 April 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11 April 2011, 09:02 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Tony
to true my missus did the peoples march for jobs in 1981 staunch union woman
Old 11 April 2011, 09:17 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
to true my missus did the peoples march for jobs in 1981 staunch union woman
I suppose Maggie created the Great Depression in the 1920s as well?
Old 11 April 2011, 09:21 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

[quote=EddScott;9982653Trails - don't expect anything from the regulator. How can a regulator be indepedent when at it's head are all ex-bankers. When you look at any new rules to protect the consumer, the rules invariably have little effect on banks and are largely aimed at putting small advisory practices out of business.[/quote]

agree, there are always other agendas, my point was more around what the respective governments did or didn't do
Old 11 April 2011, 09:23 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13035281
Old 12 April 2011, 09:35 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Understood Chris, but I would think it still counts as an income even if financially closer to a part time one. Not accusing Mr Dodger of it, but it would look (in my opinion) arrogant to dismiss over £100 a week as not an income
Yes, if you want to pick over the bones then my original comment is perhaps a bit misleading. She did however bring in 40% of the current household income, myself with the other 60%.

As she has a long service with the NHS she gets two months at full pay, then I think another four at half pay, then the remainder of the nine months on just statutory. She intends to take a year off so there will be a period of three months with no pay whatsoever. However she does continue to accrue annual leave whilst off so by effectively going back before the year is up and then taking all the leave amounts to at least another month on full pay. So it won't really bite for a while and the fact that she's no longer commuting 200 miles a week will help!

Longer term I doubt she'll go back full time so we'll still be down on what we're used to.
Old 12 April 2011, 11:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Whose fault is that Pete? Can you never bring yourself to admit to the gross ineptitude of your heroes who ruined a strong economy and managed to bring it to its present pathetic state.

What has the present government done to bring it to our present situation? Lets see a bit of sense in your pronouncements for once.

Les
Old 12 April 2011, 08:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

WOO HOO

Inflation is down - the boys in blue (and yellow) clearly know what they are doing.

You watch the f*cker drop like a stone in 12 months time. No more US QE = fuel calms down and commodity prices in $ stabilise, no VAT increase to calculate in, car insurance prices level out and we still not out there buy buy buying.