Easyjet - A pack of money grabbin huers

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2011, 09:18 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easyjet - A pack of money grabbin huers

Just got this email from easyjet this morning

From April 5th we have updated our pricing policy for hold luggage and for oversized cabin baggage that needs to be checked into the hold.

The following charges apply:
At the airport check-in desk: If you purchase a bag to be checked into the hold and/or we notice that your cabin bag exceeds the maximum allowed dimensions, you will be charged £25 per bag
At the boarding gate: If you go directly to the boarding gate and your one permitted item of cabin baggage exceeds the maximum allowed dimensions you will be charged £40 and your bag will be checked into the hold
Remember: easyJet allows one item of hand baggage into the cabin per person; maximum dimensions are 56 x 45 x 25 cm.

To keep our fares low, be able to board the plane as quickly as possible and ensure your comfort onboard, if you bring more than one piece of hand baggage we'll check the extra piece into the hold. Hand bags, briefcases, laptops and laptop bags are all counted as one piece, so if you have a trolley and, for example, an additional hand bag or laptop bag you'll be asked to put those items into your trolley bag. If you can't consolidate your cabin baggage into one single item, one of your bags will be checked into the hold and we will have to charge you £40. We do this to ensure that we don't delay the boarding process and bring everyone to their destination on time

have i read this right? £40 for every extra piece of hand luggage?
Old 04 April 2011, 09:25 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds reasonable
Old 04 April 2011, 10:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems like a bargain if thats all they charge for WAGS!

Les
Old 04 April 2011, 10:48 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

It's only if your hand baggage is too big, or you have too much of it. If you turn up with one piece of correctly sized hand baggage you are okay.
Old 04 April 2011, 11:35 AM
ChrisB

I thought they'd only allowed one item of hand baggage for ages? Or is just the fees that have changed?
Old 04 April 2011, 11:40 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Chris is right, its just the fees that have went up. Always limited to one piece of hand luggage. However I can sort of see why they are doing this, on the last few easyjet flights I have been on, when the flight is full or near full there is not enough space in the overhead lockers because people take oversize hand baggage on. So I would say these increase in fees are going to be used along with a more aggressive enforcement of the size limits.
Old 04 April 2011, 11:44 AM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

are ryan air the same
Old 04 April 2011, 12:06 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Sounds fine to me, use another airline if you can find it cheaper
Old 04 April 2011, 12:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really pees me off when people bring mahoosive suitcases into the cabin because they don't want to check it, business travellers seem guilty of this as they want to avoid the delay at the carousel, fair enough but get something that actually fits !
Old 04 April 2011, 12:50 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Yep, can't be a bad thing making the cabin bags smaller or more costly. We're having to travel with Ryanair in May, not looking forward to it! No other airlines went to where we are going, so no choice
Old 04 April 2011, 01:09 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Yep, can't be a bad thing making the cabin bags smaller or more costly. We're having to travel with Ryanair in May, not looking forward to it! No other airlines went to where we are going, so no choice
Unlucky - Ryanair are a very, very, last resort for us as well. You can put money on them messing with the flight date / time at least twice between booking and actually going.
Old 04 April 2011, 01:14 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Hunting jacket with lots of large pockets Like this as recommended by Martin Lewis on Watchdog IIRC.

Another thing we used to do is to retain your duty-free bags and put your clothes in an old one. They don't stop you taking duty free in addition to your carry on allowance. (This may not work these days with transparent sealed duty-free bags.)

Last edited by speedking; 04 April 2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Add tip.
Old 04 April 2011, 01:39 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Unlucky - Ryanair are a very, very, last resort for us as well. You can put money on them messing with the flight date / time at least twice between booking and actually going.
Going to Croatia with the parents, flying to Italy as no cheap flights to Pula any more. They booked through a travel agent, so I'm hoping we're fairly covered
Old 04 April 2011, 04:27 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ryanair have from today added a £2/person cancellation fee to all flights so as they don't lose to much with compliance with EU261 when flights are cancelled through no fault of their own.
Old 04 April 2011, 10:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Going to Croatia with the parents, flying to Italy as no cheap flights to Pula any more. They booked through a travel agent, so I'm hoping we're fairly covered

Where in Croatia are you flying to, we fly there very regularly and use both Easyjet and wizzair.
Old 05 April 2011, 10:49 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Where in Croatia are you flying to, we fly there very regularly and use both Easyjet and wizzair.
When we booked, Ryanair hadn't released the flights to Pula yet, so we booked to Trieste in Italy and will drive from there. Price was good, 4 adults, one 12 year-old in a bling villa for less than £2K for a week in half term, including car hire and flights. We didn't think that was too bad really. Renting villas in Croatia is quite cheap comparably to other similar places.
Old 05 April 2011, 11:30 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It used to be the case that laptop cases were treated as part of your allowance

I haven't tried it recently though
Old 05 April 2011, 03:04 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Flying to Cyprus for a weeks work tomorrow with Easyjet.
No problem with their charges- coming back with Jet2 though, and they want to charge £24 for an extra legroom seat!
Old 05 April 2011, 03:11 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All airlines have rules surrounding wieghts and sizes of all bags.....its just most dont police this thoroughily....on internal flights in the USA people's carry on bags were as big as my suitcase, madness....

Dont easyjet charge you for having a p1ss too?....or is that Ryain air?
Old 05 April 2011, 06:47 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

that would be ryanair. they also wanted to introduce standing passenger on short flights
Old 13 April 2011, 09:36 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Don't know what all the fuss is about - I've always found Easyjet one of the best airlines to travel with - they are very efficient and I've never had a problem.

They have strict rules and excessive charges if you break them - which I think is fair enough. The baggage allowances are clearly stated and all the latest notification says is that if you turn up with something bigger & need to check it in it will cost you £25 - well that's your fault for not reading the allowances.

Furthermore if you have printed out your boarding pass at home & head straight for the gate with a bag that is too big it will cost you £40 - again IMHO fair enough.

They let you have a reasonable size bag, with no weight limit as long as you can lift it into the overhead locker.

I'm quite happy to pay <£30 for a flight that leaves from a small airport I can get through very quickly and their flights are very punctual. If I want food or drinks on the plane, I'm happy to pay, if I want to take bigger bags, I'll pay for them.

I flew back from Bordeaux on Monday morning, got there 35 mins before take off, left bang on time, cost me £28 to Luton. It then cost £14 for the train to London......

Ryanair have a smaller hand luggage allowance - at least Easyjet use a standard size bag - Ryanair sell their own !

Easyjet are very clear - 1 bag - no laptops, no cameras, no handbags - 1 bag is 1 bag - read the rules and it works very well.

Best one I saw was people walking through the terminal in ski boots wearing crash helmets - quality