Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bit of a result but i'm suspicious...

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2011, 12:04 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of a result but i'm suspicious...

As some know my beautfiul Missus is on maternity leave. This is until September. Her employers (a bacon factory, not providing the name) are making many employees redundant. Nat was offered the chance of voluntary redundancy a couple months back which she was delighted at, mainly because she hates her crappy factory job and she planned on resigning after her ML was up in Sept.
So the company sorted it all out and calculated her payment. This was for x amount of years service and outstanding holidays etc (which run from April 1st-March 31st).
She is getting statutory materity pay (about £123 a week) and we were worried once her finish date of April 8th was reached we would have a palarva sorting out how she would get either SMP or maternity allowance (as technically she would be unemployed).
Now the sum offered was right (approx. £860). But she has had a call this morning saying that if she was to be finished on April 8th then she would receive above amount plus all her remaining SMP in one go - meaning a taxable lump sum of around £3,200 (SMP) plus the undeductable redundancy pay. Basically she would lose a lot of the SMP through tax as every week she gets it, the £123 just scrapes the tax band meaning she pays literally pence on it. But I figured out on a £3,200 lump sum, she'd see maybe 60-70% of it max
So this is where the suspicion comes in. Her employers called her and said what they are going to do is keep paying her her £123 a week and make her redundant in September when her maternity leave finishes. Thats quite good in a way in that we will receive her SMP every week without hassle through her wages as she's still employed, but better still with her new holidays starting 1st April, she'll have a much bigger payment. She gets 25 days a year plus bank holidays so would be due say 15-17 extra days holidays on top of her recalculated redundancy pay based on length of service.
So in essence we have obviously agreed this is pretty damn good as we are only gonna buy a new sofa with the redundancy anywho so can wait 5-6 months extra for that. Thinking the new redundancy will be in the region of £1,500-1,600 instead of £860
So what I don't get is why the company are doing this? Is it because Nat is on ML and can appeal/make it very difficult for her employers due to her rights? Remembering she was offered voluntary and agreed.
She's with Unite union so I was thinking of contacting them to see what the details are about this and whether or not her employers could muck this up later on. I want her to have this change in writing so she has proof. The original end date and cease of employment is in writing along with the figure but as said above the change was only notified this morning by phone.
It may sound greedy but I want her to have every penny she's entitled to as she has worked her **** off for nearly 5 years with a mainly lazy foreign workforce/usual chav nesbits She is better than this so I'm glad she's kicking it in.

Just curious as to others experiences on matters like this.

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 29 March 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 29 March 2011, 12:12 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

doesn't the money come from the governemt for maternaty pay?
Old 29 March 2011, 12:19 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

When did she start her maternity leave. Afaik you cannot be made redundant while on maternity leave, they have to wait for her to come back.

A couple more points. Redundancy is worked out on full years, so she will only get more money if it makes up another year. Second thing regarding the extra holidays, be careful they dont add them onto her maternity leave. A friend of mine was made redundant recently and her maternity leave ended in January. They made her redundant in March meaning February was taken as a holiday (thereby using all her holidays up) She never realised this until it was too late.

Last edited by paulr; 29 March 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 29 March 2011, 12:52 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I would say bite their arm off mate.
And as far as I know, the government don't pay maternity pay, they just state what the employer has to offer.
Marie is quite lucky as working for the Police she is entitled to around 75% of her normal pay over the 9 months that she is having off.
I also get 1 week at full pay and then can either take another week as holiday or stat paternity pay.
Old 29 March 2011, 03:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
doesn't the money come from the governemt for maternaty pay?
Aye, but like SSP, paid through the employer. The issue being if she was made redundant, even voluntarily, she'd need this and that form to fill in and a horrible trip to the job centre to sort it all out. She would have been paid maternity allowance which is the same amount but paid differently. A faff avoided.

Originally Posted by paulr
When did she start her maternity leave. Afaik you cannot be made redundant while on maternity leave, they have to wait for her to come back.

A couple more points. Redundancy is worked out on full years, so she will only get more money if it makes up another year. Second thing regarding the extra holidays, be careful they dont add them onto her maternity leave. A friend of mine was made redundant recently and her maternity leave ended in January. They made her redundant in March meaning February was taken as a holiday (thereby using all her holidays up) She never realised this until it was too late.
Ah, good you mentioned that. I will make sure she gets an official leave date and the holidays are not added onto this. She went on ML on Dec 27th and has 39 weeks all in so calculating around Sept to finish. I'm thinking they may have realised she can't me made redundant (unless the whole place shuts down) even voluntarily I think, so maybe this is why they have done this. If so, it's obviously more beneficial financially for us as well as less grief re. her SMP.

Originally Posted by Gear Head
I would say bite their arm off mate.
And as far as I know, the government don't pay maternity pay, they just state what the employer has to offer.
Marie is quite lucky as working for the Police she is entitled to around 75% of her normal pay over the 9 months that she is having off.
I also get 1 week at full pay and then can either take another week as holiday or stat paternity pay.
Same here. I'm taking one week full pay, one week at SMP and 2 weeks holiday.
Old 29 March 2011, 03:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

IF, and only if, you have it in writing, I'd ****** their arm off for it.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:13 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

The government do pay it yes! The employer gets paid in a lump sum. I've just received a lump sum for an employee on maternity leave and will receive a further lump sum in the new tax year
Old 29 March 2011, 09:31 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Errrr - she's accepted VOLUTARY redundancy and you want to moan about it? Blimey.
Old 29 March 2011, 10:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Errrr - she's accepted VOLUTARY redundancy and you want to moan about it? Blimey.
Er sorry where the **** did I say I was moaning about it. Read the original post again sunshine... It states I'm suspicious as her employers seem to be taking a more expensive (for them) route for redundancy. Now if you haven't anything positive to add to the thread...
Old 29 March 2011, 10:06 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I mis-read your post.
Old 29 March 2011, 10:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Sorry, I mis-read your post.
No worries, I over reacted a little myself. Nobodies perfect eh?
Old 30 March 2011, 10:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

In fact, Andy was in such a mood last night that he chucked boiling water all over Natalie..........He'll TELL you she spilled it on her hand herself, but we know...........
Old 30 March 2011, 10:56 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
In fact, Andy was in such a mood last night that he chucked boiling water all over Natalie..........He'll TELL you she spilled it on her hand herself, but we know...........

Damn - he's onto me

Old 30 March 2011, 11:02 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Get on to Unite Andy.
They'll put you right. Get your monies worth out of them.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Unite? They HAVE to be useful for something other than feathering their leader's nest, surely? Surely?
Old 30 March 2011, 12:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Unite? They HAVE to be useful for something other than feathering their leader's nest, surely? Surely?
Aye. I keep out all the politics bollocks and use them for my personal gain if that makes sense. I.E. not interested in this or that about protests etc, but if I have issues at work or Nat does then I will use their services to our benefit. Militant - yes but a lot better than other shambles like GMB or USDAW etc.