Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

F1 in HD?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2011, 05:08 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1 in HD?

Does anyone know if the F1 is actually in HD now for qualifying and the race?

Looking at the sky guide today it displayed it in orange which usually indicates the programs are broadcast in HD. However, looking at the guide for tomorrow it only displays the F1 in the normal white text (looking at BBC One HD channel)?

Comparing the F1 today to say football or tennis which has previously been on in HD, the F1 didn't seem to look as good?

Not that im really too bothered as it looks like it could be the same procession as last year with Vettel miles out in front so I will probably end up nodding off
Old 26 March 2011, 05:10 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it is in HD, but as you have seen BBC's HD is not as good as others, in fact pretty poor for some programs.
Old 26 March 2011, 05:28 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Bit of a let down IMO.

Eurosport HD makes things like Le Mans or WTCC really clear and defined. F1 BBC HD looked no different.

As for the season, if the RB and Vettel don't cook the tyres they'll be well away. Hopefully we'll see more action in the mid field.
Old 26 March 2011, 06:01 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

That was no way hd surely? It looked like that upscaled ****
Old 26 March 2011, 06:28 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Def HD, upscaled SD is noticeably worst than that. Well on my TV it is anyway.
Old 26 March 2011, 11:29 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I certainly wouldn't bother to put my glasses on to watch the "HD" the qualifying was shown in.
Old 27 March 2011, 12:15 AM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

It looked pretty average for a HD broadcast to be honest, I don't think the overcast weather helped. Even the mirror finish Mclarens looked dull.

The in-car footage for Vettel on a hot lap was awesome, he may look like a 12 year old in racing overalls but he can't half drive!
Old 27 March 2011, 04:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I thought it was significantly better on my Panny plasma and via satellite.

Les
Old 27 March 2011, 05:50 PM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

I watched the race live this morning in bed upstairs, this meant I could choose between built in Freesat HD or the hdmi over cat-5 feed from Sky HD downstairs. The BBC Freesat feed was noticably better, perhaps it uses a better bit rate.

As for the race, I enjoyed it but I don't think that either kers or silly rear wing buttons are adding to the racing.
Old 27 March 2011, 05:56 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BurgerKing
I watched the race live this morning in bed upstairs, this meant I could choose between built in Freesat HD or the hdmi over cat-5 feed from Sky HD downstairs. The BBC Freesat feed was noticably better, perhaps it uses a better bit rate.

As for the race, I enjoyed it but I don't think that either kers or silly rear wing buttons are adding to the racing.
It's the same bitrate as its the same feed from the same satellite
Old 27 March 2011, 06:09 PM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

Maybe Panasonic include a kick *** Freesat decoder in their sets (it's a 37" G10 lcd)? Whatever the reason, it looked better on the Freesat feed.
Old 27 March 2011, 06:12 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BurgerKing
Maybe Panasonic include a kick *** Freesat decoder in their sets (it's a 37" G10 lcd)? Whatever the reason, it looked better on the Freesat feed.
I'm not disagreeing with you, i find my sky hd picture not as good as my "other" satellite receiver.
Old 27 March 2011, 06:31 PM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
I'm not disagreeing with you, i find my sky hd picture not as good as my "other" satellite receiver.
I do have my doubts about the quality of Sky decoders, definitely built to cost (cheap capacitors in the power supply etc.). The software is sluggish as well

Having said that, I'm very happy overall because Sky+ is just so damn convenient (especially with a 1TB home upgrade).
Old 28 March 2011, 09:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I certainly also find Sky+ very convenient and easy to use with such a very wide variety to choose from too. I thought the HD effort was appreciably better than SD.

I agree with Burgerking, the Kers and Switchable Rear Wing have done nothing to improve the racing or the spectacle. Means nothing significant to me.

The real way to improve the actual interest as well as the racing is to ban wings completely so that they are forced to design a suspension which moves more than an inch to get the roadholding rather than pushing the car downwards to get more friction for the tyres artificially. The racing would be vastly improved and driver skills would count for something again rather than just pushing buttons. It might just improve road cars as well which is one of the stated requirements for F1.

Les
Old 28 March 2011, 09:58 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I thought it being in HD was great and definately better than SD!

I'm not sure how long the start/finish straight is compared to straights in other grand prix's, but i seen quite a lot of overtaking possibilities on offer because of the KERS and DRS, but added with such a tight first corner and having to brake longer and harder than the car they're attempting to overtake, makes the straight not quite long enough IMO.
Old 28 March 2011, 10:26 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I also didn't think much of the HD quality.
Looks exactly the same as last year, which was upscaled.

Hopefully this will improve as the season goes on.....as well as the racing!
Old 28 March 2011, 01:13 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

As the OP suggested the race was not highlighted in Orange on the planner, usually tends to indicate it aint HD, picture was nice on the Panny but not earth shattering.

Are the broadcasters using HD camera's now? I remember reading that Bernie was going to allow it but cant remember when it was suppossed to start.

It looked no different to the watching the 2009 season in Oz on a dedicated HD channel and they weren't using HD cameras then.

Expected start to the season, enjoyed the midfield battles more than anything.

No one has mentioned Rubens taking out Rosberg, a case of mistaken identity ? I know he passed Schumacher just before punting Rosberg out, maybe he was confused because he certainly went in with a lot of conviction, i.e. to get the job done

Not too impressed with the punishment meted out to Sauber, a little harsh imo, would it have bneen the same for the front runners.....
Old 28 March 2011, 05:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Maybe it was upscaled then, but normally things such as graphics are noticeably jagged in upscaled SD, so I assumed it was HD as the gfx were rounded and quite sharp. Not a touch on sky sports/eurosport etc though.