Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance, AGAIN: they ARE scamming us!

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2011, 04:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Insurance, AGAIN: they ARE scamming us!

My lad has just got his renewal through. Renault Clio 197. He HAD three years and now has FOUR years ncd. He has also passed the 25 years old threshold this year.

Last year: £700
This year: £1100, so a rise of 57% even before we take into account the extra he SHOULD have off for 4 yrs ncd and over 25.

What the HELL is going on? Is there NO control over this?
Old 23 March 2011, 04:45 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Profiteering free for all, relying on the weakness of people not to shop around.

Name and shame the company please!
Old 23 March 2011, 04:46 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Everyone is claiming for compensation when they don't need to as well as women complaining that they want to be treated the same as men.

With a little nippa on the way, there is no way I can afford the insurance on anything other than a 'normal' car these days. Especially with the price of fuel.

Just out of interest, was it his first year with the insurance company? They do discount heavily in the first year to get you through the door, then whack the prices up come renewal.
Old 23 March 2011, 04:52 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Insurance costs have rocketed 40% in the last year so it's not OTT.

Im also sure that this age 25 discount is a myth, my insurance never dropped when I hit 25 a couple of years ago either. NCD is only a % of the cost. If the cost has gone up 40% but his discount for that extra year only gives him an extra 5% off then his premium will inevitably rise
Old 23 March 2011, 04:53 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fella i know just got hit by a young driver, car wrote off but nothing wrong with anyone in the car. He went to the doctor said his back was sore as did all the other occupants in the car. He has now just bought a brand new M'd up to the hilt 1series fully paid for by the insurance company.

And you wonder why Insurance companies shaft us all?
Old 23 March 2011, 04:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Exactly, this sort of thing has got to stop.
It makes having an accident a good thing.
Old 23 March 2011, 04:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

It would easily be solved by making the the actual start of the claim process harder - you have to go to two doctors who give an annonymous (sp) opinion so they can't be claimed against.

This way the doctor doesn't feel obliged to say the patient is injured and gets a free whippo claim.

It would be easy to tighten up so the question is really why isn't it?
Old 23 March 2011, 05:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Anyone want to crash into me? I'll split the compensation with ya!
Old 23 March 2011, 05:14 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Anyone want to crash into me? I'll split the compensation with ya!
I've had 2 non-fault accidents in the past 2 years and i'm getting punished enough for other peoples stupidity, so i'll pass!
Old 23 March 2011, 05:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
It would easily be solved by making the the actual start of the claim process harder - you have to go to two doctors who give an annonymous (sp) opinion so they can't be claimed against.

This way the doctor doesn't feel obliged to say the patient is injured and gets a free whippo claim.

All I would ask is, Do you like dags? if the answer is yes, the claim is fraudulent. I have just saved the insurance industry millions without the need to pay extra doctors fees or involve any third party.
Old 23 March 2011, 05:51 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

The thong with insurance companies is the person you speak to has a price on the screen that is the lowest they can go, they will make commission on anything over that price! So when they put you on hold and speak to their 'supervisor' they're actually just putting you on hold just to take £20 or £30 off the price they've just given you!

You need to play them off against each other, get a few different quotes and go back to them! Their 'supervisor' will try to beat the other ones My mate works for Admiral and gets plenty of commission off people who don't really want to argue their renewal premiums!
Old 23 March 2011, 06:06 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

Why do they need compensation at all? Whats the point? You get whiplash, man up and stop whining like a big sissy girl and get on with it. My mate crashed me into a tree at 50mph, I got whiplash but didnt have any time off and it wasnt really a problem. If we only allow claims to compensate victims that lose out financially then we can stop this nonsense, its not rocket science. If you really need 2 weeks off work due to whiplash then the insurance companies can cover the cost for the sick leave but dont pay them in additional to the sick leave otherwise all you are doing is fuelling the incentive to 'crash and claim'.
Old 23 March 2011, 06:39 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
My mate works for Admiral

I hope he's not the one at Admiral who's written to me AFTER I've accepted a quote, saying that there is an additional fee as I didn't declare this, that and the other (even though everything was declared through a 'comparision' website)! They've done it (well tried to ) three times now.
Old 23 March 2011, 06:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Profiteering free for all, relying on the weakness of people not to shop around.

Name and shame the company please!
Privilege Insurance, underwritten by RBS, (THERE'S a shock )

Banks trying to raise money any which way.
Old 23 March 2011, 06:48 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by alcazar

They did the same to me, robbing gets It was my 3rd year with Privilege, yet they still tried it on. Lost out though
I moved to LV, can't fault them. Easy to talk to and excellent quote.
Old 23 March 2011, 07:03 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I had a non-fault accident at the end of 2009 where someone skidded into the back of my car while I was stationary in a queue of cars. My insurer passed my name on to a claims management company to handle reclaiming uninsured losses from the other party, and this company were practically begging me and my son to claim for non-existant whiplash injuries. I resisted, but I don't think I would in future given how much I was stung at renewal time (even shopping around) for an accident that wasn't my fault and did not cost my insurer a penny (in fact they probably made money from the referal to the claims management company).
Old 23 March 2011, 07:45 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

im getting prices for my 172 scoob 750 clio cheapest i could get was 600 and im 45 lol group 18 car 750 group 15 car only 150 cheaper work that one out
Old 23 March 2011, 09:25 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Put the shoe on the other foot....if 25% of all your policies paid out in the last 2 years because of the snow, and the retatds driving in it would'nt you hike up your policy costs rather than lose your business and cost all your staff their jobs??.....it sucks i agree but we must be mindfull of the amount they have paid out in the last 28 months or so....money gotta come from somewhere??!!
Old 23 March 2011, 10:00 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

As has been said on countless threads before over many months now it is mainly down to all the false claims, crashes for claims and all the fraud that takes place. It isnt really the insurance companies fault, in fact its them that are getting 'scammed' and we are the ones who foot the bill. Until the government steps in and tackles these issues its only going to get worse and the resulting 'How Much??', 'are they taking the mick', they are scamming us' will continue from people who only realise whats going on when it affects them on their renewal.

Try living in and around Bradistan in good old West Yorkshire, its even worse there.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:00 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

As i've said before, more companies are reviewing their underwriting these days, and if they don't want to take on that particular risk anymore they'll put their prices up to force you elsewhere.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:04 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
if it's his renewal then don't be so naive as we all know that is not the real price. Obviously they hope lazy people will just renew but the real price requires you to shop around.
Not always the case

Some companies () give you their most competitive price from the start, no save getting involved in a 'Dutch auction'

I get pissed off when people ring me and say their prices have gone up with their current company, but they've said ring around and get other prices then they'll match it.

Why are you/me doing their underwriting for them? That'd ring alarm bells to me.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:06 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Moley any more happening since we last conversed in December/January regarding combating fraudulent claims?
Old 23 March 2011, 10:08 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Not that i've been told of.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:12 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Im really hoping that something will happen by 2012 otherwise I fear for my renewal quote next year if things are left to continue the way they are going.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:18 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I was actually working out how much I spend on motoring each year and considering just using taxis everywhere.
£2000 on fuel
£1000ish on insurance
£1000 a year depreciation
£250 road tax
£200ish servicing
£what ever goes wrong with it in the year, so far £300

£4750 a year to drive my car. I dont think there is anyway I would get near that on taxis, in fact I've worked out that I would spend £2500 if I used taxis for work and 2 round local trips over the weekends.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:34 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

£1000 for insurance on an SR sport??....are you 18?....
Old 23 March 2011, 10:49 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

I think car insurance is one industry that needs nationalising, or at least some serious auditing. I also had Claims Direct type scumbags chasing me after someone hit me from behind - details must have been provided by one or other of the insurers, not uncommon I believe - there was something about it on the BBC News site the other day. They also claim that premiums are all about statistics and clever models etc, yet there are plenty of examples which disprove this - no or very little discount for garaging, alarms or trackers, for example. It's all very well them saying they have to put up the premiums due to increased personal injury claims - but that's only as a direct result of them allowing, and encouraging, fraudulent claims. In Oz I believe 3rd party insurance is included with your tax disc - I wonder if there are any caveats to that (ie not for under 25s etc) and how much that tax disc costs.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:50 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

No 29. It was £1700 for most of the first week of looking. In the end I paid £850.
160bhp,
6 years NCB,
10 years licence,
No convictions, claims etc,
£1200 excess.
Now the killer; I live in West Yorkshire.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:54 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

This is just the start of it.
More people unemployed,big increase in cost of living,expensive fuel,second hand cars, sh*t boxes,gas-guzzlers etc, getting cheaper,massive hikes in insurance prices.
It dosn't take a rocket scientist to work out that there will be even more un-insured
drivers on the road.This will spiral out of control soon.
Old 23 March 2011, 10:56 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoobyster
In Oz I believe 3rd party insurance is included with your tax disc - I wonder if there are any caveats to that (ie not for under 25s etc) and how much that tax disc costs.
That'll never happen over here, as the government would then have to foot the bill for the injury claims.

FWIW insurance IS regulated and audited etc

Quick Reply: Insurance, AGAIN: they ARE scamming us!