Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What detector

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2002, 08:18 PM
Catalunya Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all the fixed cameras and mobile vans about I think it's time I invested in a detector. I'd be glad for any advice on which to spend my hard earned on.
Old 17 April 2002, 12:11 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bell 550... I have the Bell 990 which has been replaced with the 550.. very happy with it...

JGM
Old 17 April 2002, 12:28 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Same as JGM, 990i never had a problem and never missed a Gatso.
Old 17 April 2002, 12:40 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Ditto, got a Bell 550 and a Geodesy Plus.
Stereo - no need!!

Old 17 April 2002, 12:49 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Very much a newbie to speed detectors so got a quick question (hope you don't mind Pete ).

Do these also detect the hand helds? We have loads of these down here! I understand the Geodsey (sp?!) is only a database of the Gatso's so that wouldn't....am I right?

What would you have to get to detect the hand helds as well - and are these legal?!

Sorry...one question turned into 1000's!!

Jen
Old 17 April 2002, 04:02 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jen,

Right... the geodesy (sp?) and the blue i style detectors only tell you about fixed cameras... including the specs..
and read from a central database...using GPS or similar.

The radar detectors like the Bell for example detect frequencies of radar used by the police and cameras and laser..
so they detect hand held and camera's including Specs apparently although I haven't been through specs with mine yet (I hope).

They are all legal at the moment as they just detect the radar or laser etc.. or mark locations of camera, the jammers are illegal but perhaps we shouldn't go there...

They were illegal before a court case in 1998 proved that the detectors only detected the frequency and therefore didn't modify or interrupt the signal whcih is the law that was being used to prosecute people for using them previous to this case.
Some police frequency law.

Hope that helps...

JGM
Old 17 April 2002, 04:20 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

JGM you're a star Thanks!

So do the Bell etc, radar detectors also spot those big grey speed camera things? (probably a stupid question, but I don't mind rolleyes! )

Jen
Old 17 April 2002, 04:34 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes they do... a lot seem to be switched off too as the detector doesn't go off...

there are some new camera's whcih apparently use sensors in the road which the detector doesn't detect but there are not many of these camera's yet.. whcih is where the GPS system will be better I guess..

the GPS systems will go off whether the camera is switched on or off.. where as the detector only goes off if the camera is real and active.. but still cannot drive through a switched off camera without watching my speed.. it is just an extra warning and you cannot mistakenly set a camera off with a detector switched on.

Saved me a ticket the other week... roadworks and dual carridgeway speed limit down to 30mph.. everyone set the camera off at about 40mph around me.. except me.. I suspect I would have done so too as I was towing at the time so there is no way I would have slowed in time from 40 (speed of the traffic flow) to 30mph in the time it was in view (was dark etc)... also the roadworks were not active just cones everywhere hence everyone did 40mph +.

I won't call any one silly or roll the eyes.... well not today

JGM
Old 17 April 2002, 07:22 PM
Timmy Tato
Scooby Regular

Question

So this geodesy (sp?) database, how is it maintained? Does it rely on some nice person entering in where the cameras are, or does some official body maintain where they are? Or is it more clever than that and the cameras signel where they are to the database? I'm just curious.

What's the Geodesy "plus" bit do?

By the way, I've no complaints about my Snooper 815i, it's small and compact and never let me down. I did have a comparison article which I might be able to dig out if people are interested, but I cannot remember why I chose this over say the Bell at the time.
Old 17 April 2002, 07:35 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

JGM - thanks again!

Got alot to think about now - I'll continue investigating as I've spent the "mod budget" for a while on a shiney new set of Godspeed brakes Hopefully it won't be too long 'till I can look into getting one though.

Tim - I think (if I'm right, sure someone'll correct me if I'm not! ) you plug them into the internet and they download all the latest information from there. Also - if you see a speed camera that's new there's a button you press to log the position, then next time you connect your machine it adds this to the database and everyone else benifits...

Jen
Old 18 April 2002, 09:18 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I believe what you are saying Jen about the Geodesy is correct but I would hope someone from them goes out and checks the locations..
Otherwise some muppet not knowing how to use the thing might press the camera found button insead of the brightness
30 camera's within a mile on the A38???!!!

The detectors do come up in the for sale forum occasionally.. that is where I bought mine from.. far cheaper.

JGM
Old 18 April 2002, 10:44 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Good idea - I'll keep an eye out

...oh, and someone must check 'em! ...otherwise I could be really annoying...

Jen
Old 18 April 2002, 11:01 AM
ChrisB

The radar detectors like the Bell for example detect frequencies of radar used by the police and cameras and laser..
so they detect hand held and camera's including Specs apparently although I haven't been through specs with mine yet (I hope).
A radar detector WON'T warn you of a SPECs installation. SPECs uses a pair of CCTV esq video cameras and times you between two points. Hence slowing down as you pass the 1st camera and speeding up again equals trouble. The cameras grabs your number plate at the start & end of the segment and work out your speed.

Only a Geodesy GPS type device will warn you of these. Last month I was driving through Northampton in the dark. First time I'd been round there and I was checking my map as well when my Geodesy went off. Turns out to be two SPECs installs on the dual carriageway I was on but I'd not seen them in the dark. Probably saved me at least £40 there.

Radar detectors won’t get cameras which use induction loops mounted on the road either.

With my Geodesy you get a little desktop cradle that you plug into your phone line at home. You drop the unit into it and it dials up for a few minutes to pull down the new database. If you spot a new camera whilst out and mark the location, the info is uploaded but you need to ring up to confirm it.

The Plus upgrade adds a couple of features like the audio warning only activates if you are travelling over the posted speed limit for that area.

http://www.morpheous.com/morpheous.asp for more info.
Old 18 April 2002, 11:04 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Good info Chris - thanks...didn't think it would be as easy as I first thought

Jen
Old 18 April 2002, 12:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

A mate reconned that he got a weak but detectable signal on his Bell 990i when going through the SPECS... dunno why or how.. because what you say is correct as far as I know.. perhaps the system monitors traffic speed approaching so to know whether to monitor the system or something? don;t think so though.
Until I go through it myself I cannot confirm..
Sounds like you will be correct though Chris and no warning with a detector for SPECS.

JGM
Old 19 April 2002, 12:06 PM
Catalunya Pete
Scooby Regular

Has anyone tried Snoopers or the Valentine 1?

Talking about SPECS do they only work in pairs or can a few be linked together maybe covering miles?
Old 19 April 2002, 12:28 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

I've got a Valentine 1.

Very good - looks both forwards and backwards to give you direction, type and signal strength of the "bogey".

Pretty expensive (£500-£600) to buy here (got mine from America.)

The Bel Euro 550 gets very good press on Scoobynet.

Can't give you a comparison between the two or others because I've only ever used the V1.

I will probably also get a GPS unit as well (Geodesy or Blue-i) soon to supplement the detector.

Check here for some excellent info. and test comparisons of the various devices.

Rich