Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this Chernobyl 2 ?

This doesn't look good at all,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219
Old 12 March 2011, 11:56 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the TV reports the answer is no,There is difference between the two.At Chernoby the reactor was working when the accident took place where in Japan the reactor was shut down automatically when the earthquake took place.Also the two reactor are quite different in design.

Last edited by richie001; 12 March 2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:00 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/pwrs.html

Assuming it's one of the above type reactors the core should hopefully still be intact......

Shaun
Old 12 March 2011, 12:06 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Could be something similar

When I first heard that the power plant had problems I thought it could turn quite serious, and imo the nonsense they were feeding us on the news isnt half of what was happening

I've been paying attention to it as much as I can first it was,

'the reactors getting slightly got'

then 'evacuate people in a 3 km radius'

then 'evacute people in a 10km radius'

then 'a state of emergency'

then 'we might need to vent some gas into the atmosphere, dont worry thought its not toxic and even if it is it wont do any damage'

Woke up this morning to find out it exploded

I hate it when they lie to us, sitting on the news channels saying theres nothing to worry about when there clearly is
Old 12 March 2011, 12:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, when something explodes with that kind of force it does major damage, hopefully it has been contained but I reckon we are a seeing a re-run of 1986, at least the Japanese have a 8.9 on the Richter scale earthquake as a reason.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:18 PM
Diamanti
Scooby Regular

i think it will be more of a Three Mile Island at worse than a Chernobyl.

Still not good whatever is happening over there
Old 12 March 2011, 12:19 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

There was a guy on Breakfast this morning who seemed to suggest that it probably wasn't anything to be too concerned about and deliberately venting steam is better than allowing pressure to build.

Didn't stop that insincere witch Reid from putting words like Chernobyl into his mouth.

The way the media have covered this has really f*cking annoyed me - its like they are will for some massive catastrophe.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

For me, apart fromt he actual disaster, what concerns me is the damage this does to the nuclear industry, we need nuclear power and this gives the anti debate ammunition,
Old 12 March 2011, 12:36 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
There was a guy on Breakfast this morning who seemed to suggest that it probably wasn't anything to be too concerned about and deliberately venting steam is better than allowing pressure to build.
Thats what annoys me, all the 'experts' and 'pms' insist its nothing to worry about even if it is

What slightly ammuses me is the amount of people that just eat this stuff up as gospel
Old 12 March 2011, 12:45 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

A huge explosion is not the same as venting a bit of steam.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:54 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Anyone else thinking this?

Ripley: [looking at the colony from a window] It's very pretty, Bishop, but what are we looking for?
Bishop: [emergency venting goes off] That's it. Emergency venting.
Hudson: [knows what it is] Ho, that's beautiful, man. Oh man, that that... that just beats it all...
Hicks: How long 'til it blows?
Bishop: Four hours. With a blast radius of 30 kilometers; equal to about 40 megatons.

Old 12 March 2011, 12:55 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The breakfast news "expert" said the explosion wasn't one of the reactors. Some kind of seperate fuel tank - although I missed what type of fuel it was.

The venting he mentioned was to prevent the pressure build up within the reactor.

I might be wrong but comparing this to Chernobyl is scare mongering.
Old 12 March 2011, 02:25 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

From what I understand of what happened at Chernobyl the culture at the time compounded the problem. The engineers were carrying out tests without following correct procedures, there was an important public holiday coming up, it was important for the USSR not to lose face to the rest of the world....so a big difference to if it had happened elsewhere. At least with Japan being watched they aren't going to try and cover it up (IIRC Chernobyl only came to light when Sweden picked up on radiation alarms).
Old 12 March 2011, 03:03 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

sounds like theyre gonna flood the place with sea water and boric acid and write the plant off
Old 12 March 2011, 03:13 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
sounds like theyre gonna flood the place with sea water and boric acid and write the plant off
Nothing to be worried about if your in the surrounding area though

The 'experts' on the news said so
Old 12 March 2011, 03:16 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
Based on the TV reports the answer is no,There is difference between the two.At Chernoby the reactor was working when the accident took place where in Japan the reactor was shut down automatically when the earthquake took place.Also the two reactor are quite different is design.
Sure but I believe any nuclear reactor can suffer meltdown/failure of containment.
Old 12 March 2011, 04:33 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Japan has now said radiation has leaked, oh dear
Old 12 March 2011, 04:59 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

been another aftershock hasnt there? few workers gone to hospital due to radiation exposure
Old 12 March 2011, 05:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This is more like a "Three mile Island 2"

Essentially this is the escape of reactor coolant due to over-pressurisation due the failure of the pumping systems and/or heat exchangers.

What happens when the sealed cooling system overheats is it presurises to a point that a blow-off valve opens (to prevent a explosion). When that happens radiation contaminated coolant flows out into overflow-tanks. Once this happens the tanks are contaminated due to the radiaoctive coolant that has 'leaked'/vented into them, but the reactor still remains 'sealed'. Although the reactor is pretty much fubared and highly unlikely to be be used ever again.

This is a bad situation, but not as bad as the massive steam explosion at chernobyl where it blew the lid off the reactor leaving the core exposed to the outside environment. There is big difference between some leaked radioactive coolant and an exposed reactor core.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 March 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12 March 2011, 05:14 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Ali I've always wondered you seem to know quiet alot about everything and seem very clued up.

Or is just copy and paste gOogle?

If it's the former im impressed
Old 12 March 2011, 05:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Both Its pure geeky fascination. I love engineering stuff so what I don't know I read up on or work it out for myself. The above is from memory so its probably not totally correct, but its probably close to the mark in lamen's.

I do have a degree in electronic and mechanical control systems, so my mindset is part and parcel of that; A nuclear power plant is just a electro-mechanical control system (with some chemistry thrown in ). Essentially all you have is a bloody hot reactor core that needs to be cooled all the time. If the cooling system fails...BOOM! Unless there is a failsafe. The failsafe takes form in the way of auxillary pumps, relief valves and overflow tanks. I reckon the latter is what has happened in Japan - reactor coolant has filled up these overflow tanks. I don't know if these tanks are exposed to the outside or what are the consequences of them being filled...you need to ask an expert on that bit

I'm no nuclear expert but Chernobyl is the worst case scienario, and I don't think Japan is that bad (yet - touch wood). Three mile Island on the otherhand was a big **** up that the Americian government did will to keep quiet, and it did result in a nuclear reactor being written off and radioative coolant being leaked.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 March 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12 March 2011, 06:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ch4 now: expert talking sense

Old 12 March 2011, 06:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Where's pslewis? I thought he worked as a consultant in the nuclear industry?
Old 12 March 2011, 07:20 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

just seen this tweet on bbc website

1910: Japanese workers in masks and\rprotective clothing are scanning evacuees from the Fukushima area for radiation exposure, Reuters reports. Seventeen-year-old Masanori Ono says: "There is radiation leaking out, and since the possibility\r(of exposure) is high, it's quite scary."
Old 12 March 2011, 07:23 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
The way the media have covered this has really f*cking annoyed me - its like they are will for some massive catastrophe.
Completely agree.

The papers are having a field day with their headlines.
Old 12 March 2011, 07:36 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Sky plays this discordant ambient sound effect when they roll images of the disaster.
Old 12 March 2011, 11:13 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope they have good underwear as there will be alot of fallout
Old 12 March 2011, 11:31 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Serious problems methinks,goverments always play down Nuclear problems so as not to cause mass hysteria....
Old 13 March 2011, 09:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If the reactor goes into melt down it will be pretty difficult to deal with. It was close to that last thing I heard.

Les
Old 13 March 2011, 11:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I think part of the core has probably already melted Les (edit - unit one HAS partially melted, unit three is likely to be damaged). Long Mile Island only had a loss of coolant circulation for 7 hours and it resulted in half the core being melted, and we're long past this stage in Japan.

And they did admit on the day after the quake that cooling sytem was running 1.5 times its designed pressure limit. That means venting into relief tanks and loss of primary coolant. This will cause steam voids meaning parts of the reactor will not be covered in coolant, and so will overheat and melt.

It really all depends if they managed to get main pumping systems back online and reduce the system pressure so thay can re-introduce the lost coolant (think of trying to top up a car radiator on a engine that is overheating - you need to remove the cap to reduce/vent the excess pressure, and when you do add coolant, its so hot spits it back out).

The 'expert' claimed they were using pumping control systems running on battery backup that in turn runs steam-driven emergency pumps. I guess there are nowhere near as powerful as the main ones that run off the power grid. They were in the process of setting up emergency gensets that were flown in to get other pumping equipment back online. But the 'quake may have damaged system/pipework that supply the reactor with repacement coolant meaning they could be ineffective.

Last edited by ALi-B; 13 March 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this Chernobyl 2 ?