Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows them?
Learner drivers are fools
5.56%
Driving instructors are fools
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Do you HATE learners ? POLL

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2011, 09:50 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you HATE learners ? POLL

To compliment the other thread, what are your feelings on learners, be they slow fools blocking up the countryside, numpties in a micra choking up city centres at rush hour to prove some point, kids with no concept of safety, law, rules or consideration of others, or the solitary good learner driver (maybe Les?) once spotted in Oxford 40 years ago. Or are they the fools that teach the fools?
Old 11 March 2011, 09:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give learners plenty of room and time, but I do make a point of dropping a cog and overtaking at WOT when I can. This is especially fun with people on corporate defensive driving courses etc...you can see 'em white knuckle gripping with wheel with an instructor and two colleges in tow all criticising their driving style.

My Scoob isn't so great for this, but my Skyline was more fun with it's 3" turbo back and HKS muffler.
Old 11 March 2011, 10:04 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Tony, you might get a surprise if you try that with my learner car More torque, less weight, less drivetrain loss, all adds up to a potential embarrassment at your ***** waving antics On a cross country journey I'd eat you alive as you stop for fuel every 40 minutes You'd have me in the twisties though
Old 11 March 2011, 10:08 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Tony, you might get a surprise if you try that with my learner car More torque, less weight, less drivetrain loss, all adds up to a potential embarrassment at your ***** waving antics On a cross country journey I'd eat you alive as you stop for fuel every 40 minutes You'd have me in the twisties though
Ha ha LOL. It's a sport plus I feel I'm doing the Learners an education in real world driving? Seriously do you get this sort of antics a lot?
Old 11 March 2011, 10:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Seriously do you get this sort of antics a lot?
Oh yes It is indeed fun, when I'm driving. I quite like pootling along at bang on 30 (or whatever limit) with a BMW/Merc/Audi or whatever impatiently glued to my ****, and just as we get to the dual carriageway I let them pull out, get their revs up, then blow them out of the water It is very satisfying to watch them humbly limp back into the left lane, especially when you get to another lower limit and they surge back up behind you all angry and frustrated

180bhp, 312 lb/ft (or 420 Nm) and 30-70 in 6s Not many 'ordinary' cars can match that
Old 13 March 2011, 10:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Even easier on a half decent 'bike!

Les
Old 13 March 2011, 11:11 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just wish some of the driving instructors around here would practice what they preach. One tit in a red driving school corsa goes haring it around town like a madman. Probably in a rush to earn red driving school their £1200 a week before he starts earning anything.
Old 13 March 2011, 11:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The same instructors keep using my area constantly.

Not only that they go round and round and round. I mean what does a leaner lean by driving in circles on residential roads? How not to get dizzy?
Old 13 March 2011, 11:27 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I havent read all replies but I don't mind learners - Most are fit as hell lol. but on a serious note. we were all one so I give them a chance.

Driving instructors around here are the **** heads that just teach the students to pass the test and not actually learn.

I past my test 9yrs ago and in that time about 20 people I know have passed. As the years have gone on it seems they are learning less and less and just the test routes.
Old 13 March 2011, 11:30 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I hate people who hate learners , if thats any help .

Id cheerfully run these people off the road if i thought i could get away with it
Old 13 March 2011, 11:33 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

One of my instructors was a complete tosser, seemed ok but really brittle and highly strung. Seemed to have fallen into being an instructor because he had no other talent.

The other guy was older and really good. Miles more relaxed and seemingly not just concerened with booking the next lesson.
Old 13 March 2011, 11:34 AM
nickscooby
Scooby Regular

learners are fine. we all had to learn.

i do fine some instructors can be a bit unrealistic about students abilities, taking them on busy roads before they are ready.

my instructor was great, he would tell me off for faffing and would shout at other people if they were trying to intimidate me.

i remember on time when i had an mx5 sat up my **** my instructor told me to spank him when we came up to a national speed limit!! i did

Last edited by nickscooby; 13 March 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 13 March 2011, 11:36 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I hate people who hate learners , if thats any help .

Id cheerfully run these people off the road if i thought i could get away with it
Driving test examiners should be run off the road.

I failed one test, came up to this really busy/complex junction/roundabout in Leicester, she game me some last min instructions and it really flustered me, ended up getting a major fault. She was acting all outraged and tutting. Stupid ****ing bitch!
Old 13 March 2011, 11:40 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it shows arrogance of the highest order if you don't give Ls time, space and repsect. As said, we were ALL learners once (and felt 'scared'/out of our depth - to a lesser or greater degree).

It's so easy to 'mock'/look down on Ls, after we have had the benefit of X,Y,Z amount of years of driving experience...
Old 13 March 2011, 11:44 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
I think it shows arrogance of the highest order if you don't give Ls time, space and repsect. As said, we were ALL learners once (and felt 'scared'/out of our depth - to a lesser or greater degree).

It's so easy to 'mock'/look down on Ls, after we have had the benefit of X,Y,Z amount of years of driving experience...
I give them time/space plus the sound of my motor at full tap!
Old 13 March 2011, 11:49 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it my public duty to sit 3 inches off learner drivers bumpers bouncing it off the rev limiter, gives them some good real world experience.
Old 13 March 2011, 11:51 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

tdw, although I can see the 'funny' side of that, it's a bit naughty. Poor learner will just get more nervous/lose confidence, poor sod.

Also, they just might be doing their test!
Old 13 March 2011, 11:53 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

No issue whatsoever with Learners, can be a slight delay but like cyclists, horses, slower drivers, pedestrians just part of driving, none of them really add that much time to your journey, generally most of the time not moving is down to weight of traffic.

Quite why anyone would go past a learner at "WOT" in a loud car and try to alarm them I don't know, learning is stressful enough.
Old 13 March 2011, 11:57 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Quite why anyone would go past a learner at "WOT" in a loud car and try to alarm them I don't know, learning is stressful enough.
I'm trying to de-sensitise them to the stress of real world driving.
Old 13 March 2011, 11:58 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A whole depth of insecurity imo
Old 13 March 2011, 12:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to de-sensitise them to the stress of real world driving.
I can sort of see that and it is a valuable service you are providing but I am sure it will happen anyway.
Old 13 March 2011, 12:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Relax - I don't really do this, much anyway.
Old 13 March 2011, 05:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Don't ever be upset about the minor inconvenience of having learners using your area. Recently, an estate in Nottingham caused such a fuss that the DSA removed it from test routes and requested instructors stop teaching there. Burglary rates went through the roof and they quickly asked for a reversal. I have twice reported suspicious behaviour whilst out teaching, and once helped an old man who'd fallen asleep and driven into a wall.

The DSA no longer publish test routes, and they have all been changed to implement the 'independent driving' phase of the new test. We are asked to simply teach them to drive, anywhere, not just test routes. However, we obviously know many of the new routes as they are just the old ones with slight changes, and it is still good for the learner to be forewarned of some of the more troublesome junctions.

As for Tony, go read up on Section 59 of the Road Traffic Act. Do that twice and you could potentially have your car seized.

Originally Posted by SECTION 59
Vehicles used in a manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance:
(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which —
(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and
(b) is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public, he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

(3) Those powers are —
(a) power, if the motor vehicle is moving, to order the person driving it to stop the vehicle;
(b) power to seize and remove the motor vehicle;
(c) power, for the purposes of exercising a power falling within paragraph (a) or (b), to enter any
premises on which he has reasonable grounds for believing the motor vehicle to be;
(d) power to use reasonable force, if necessary, in the exercise of any power
conferred by any of paragraphs to (a) to (c).

(4) A constable shall not seize a motor vehicle in the exercise of the powers
conferred on him by this section unless —
(a) he has warned the person appearing to him to be the person whose use falls within subsection (1) that he will seize it, if that use continues or is repeated; and
(b) it appears to him that the use has continued or been repeated after the warning.

(5) Subsection (4) does not require a warning to be given by a constable on any occasion on which he would otherwise have the power to seize a motor vehicle under this section if—
(a) the circumstances make it impracticable for him to give the warning;
(b) the constable has already on that occasion given a warning under that subsection in respect of any use of that motor vehicle or of another motor vehicle by that person or any other person;
(c) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that such a warning has been given on that occasion otherwise than by him; or
(d) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that the person whose use of that motor vehicle on that occasion would justify the seizure is a person to whom a warning under that subsection has been given (whether or not by that constable or in respect the same vehicle or the same or a similar use) on a previous occasion in the previous twelve months.

(6) A person who fails to comply with an order under subsection (3)(a) is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) Subsection (3)(c) does not authorise entry into a private dwelling house.

(8) The powers conferred on a constable by this section shall be execrable only at a time when regulations under section 60 are in force.

(9) In this section —
• “driving” has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52);
• “motor vehicle” means any mechanically propelled vehicle, whether or not it is intended or adapted for use on roads; and
• “private dwelling house” does not include any garage or other structure occupied with the dwelling house, or any land appurtenant to the dwelling house.
Old 13 March 2011, 06:05 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

And we wonder what some many learners go on to buy Audi A3's ffs.

Anyway don't hate the player, hate the game. I have no problem giving learner drivers space and time if for instance if i'm popping into town to go shopping or heading to see a mate, I do find it annoying the amount of Learners out at Peak-times during the morning and evening when i'm trying to get to and from work.
Old 13 March 2011, 06:29 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Good luck with that law Corradoboy.
Old 13 March 2011, 06:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I do find it annoying the amount of Learners out at Peak-times during the morning and evening when i'm trying to get to and from work.
Unfortunately, learners also work, and need to fit lessons in before/after work.
Old 13 March 2011, 06:54 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Unfortunately, learners also work, and need to fit lessons in before/after work.
very true and understandable but it doesn't make it any less annoying.
Old 13 March 2011, 07:00 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
very true and understandable but it doesn't make it any less annoying.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love all my clients to be available during the day so I could have a lie in and early finish. Only so many students though, especially ones with enough cash to learn.
Old 13 March 2011, 07:48 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I give them all the time they need.

I have never been stuck behind a learner and been in such a rush I have had to overtake or get irritated by the situation.

I have seen idiots who seem to think overtaking a learner driver is standard practice.
I am not sure what is worse, the fact they think they need to get past them, because their lives are so so important, or that they shoot past them only to slow down to 30mph because of the dreaded speed trap area.

It's crappy enough being a learner but when people think you are the scum of the road it can be pretty miserable.

There really isn't any need to be disrespectful.
Old 14 March 2011, 11:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I give learners plenty of room and time, but I do make a point of dropping a cog and overtaking at WOT when I can. This is especially fun with people on corporate defensive driving courses etc...you can see 'em white knuckle gripping with wheel with an instructor and two colleges in tow all criticising their driving style.

My Scoob isn't so great for this, but my Skyline was more fun with it's 3" turbo back and HKS muffler.
I am disappointed to see that you choose to act like such an **** with no thought about others, just the fact that you want to display how manly you are by alarming someone who is trying to cope with learning how to drive.

I wonder what you think you are trying to prove by getting satisfaction out of startling someone who may well be already having a hard time trying to cope with learning a new skill.

I reckon that is a real sh*t's trick!

Les