Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Front fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2011, 07:17 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front fog lights

Is it me or does there seem to be a trend of peeps running their front fogs on day, night, rain or shine?!

What's it all about?
Old 11 March 2011, 07:20 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Meks em lk kool init blud *sucks through teeth*
Old 11 March 2011, 07:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Therer are lots of new cars about now with daylight driving lights.......sure it's not those? They can't be turned off.
Old 11 March 2011, 07:25 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Therer are lots of new cars about now with daylight driving lights.......sure it's not those? They can't be turned off.
No they are not DRL's. Too low and bright.

They are most definitely FOGS.
Old 11 March 2011, 07:28 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean you don't drive with your Fogs on constantly?

I pitty the fool.
Old 11 March 2011, 07:28 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antc
Meks em lk kool init blud *sucks through teeth*
As antc says, they think it makes them look cool .
Old 11 March 2011, 07:32 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

The VW lights can be deactivated according to the manual by pushing the indicator down and back and hold then switch the ignition on and off again for approximately 3 seconds.
Old 11 March 2011, 08:01 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
The VW lights can be deactivated according to the manual by pushing the indicator down and back and hold then switch the ignition on and off again for approximately 3 seconds.
yeah and you think a split **** is gona know how to do that, i have noticed recently there are quite a few with fogs on, it does my head in.
Old 11 March 2011, 08:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Just wait a few months, most VW's start de-activating stuff all by themselves as the legendary reliability takes hold.

FWIW, I'd make fog-light misuse a £500 fine, doubled for company vehicles with the employer paying half, the driver the other half. If the prosecuting officer is allowed to put a hammer through them, the fine would be reduced to £200

For the idiots who think having fog-lights on makes your Corsa or people carrier look more sporty, ask yourself this. What is sporty about fog, and how many REAL sports cars (Ferrari, Aston, Lambo etc) do you see with them on ?
Old 11 March 2011, 08:12 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

You mean leaving your fogs on doesn't give you a 10bhp increase?
Old 11 March 2011, 08:20 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

This is one thing with driving that doesn't bother me,it's not blinding people,so who care's?
Old 11 March 2011, 08:21 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
You mean leaving your fogs on doesn't give you a 10bhp increase?
I think you'll find it's 20bhp
Old 11 March 2011, 08:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Just wait a few months, most VW's start de-activating stuff all by themselves as the legendary reliability takes hold.
That won't be my problem.
Old 11 March 2011, 08:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by millsy3
yeah and you think a split **** is gona know how to do that, i have noticed recently there are quite a few with fogs on, it does my head in.
Why not? They can read too. Plus they aren't fogs anyway and look fine in the daytime. The new Citroen's day lights look a bit gay though.
Old 11 March 2011, 09:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But if they can fit that, AND on my ten-year-old Xantia, fit a system that defaults back to dip, if I switch my lights off with main beam selected...........
WHY CAN'T MANUFACTURERS FIT A SYSTEM WHEREBY FOGS DEFAULT TO OFF WHEN YOU SWITCH THE IGNITION OFF?
Old 11 March 2011, 09:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

WHY CAN'T MANUFACTURERS FIT A SYSTEM WHEREBY FOGS DEFAULT TO OFF WHEN YOU SWITCH THE IGNITION OFF?
Agree I think an audible warning buzzer to annoy people would deter many, along with MOT fails and fines for tampering with the buzzer.
Old 11 March 2011, 09:25 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

My front fogs have to be turned off to turn the headlights off (common VAG feature). That means any VAG car you see with them on, the driver has purposefully switched them back on!

Hows about this for a good idea: As fog lights are designed to be used in fog, surely they should activate a speed limiter. If it's foggy enough to have them on, it's only safe to drive at 30mph. Simples!

That would make the buggers turn them off!

Steve
Old 11 March 2011, 09:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Let's face it, how often is it foggy enough to legitimately use them ? I know the Midlands and maybe the Vale of York gets more frequent dense fog, but I can only recall once in the last 12 months that I thought about clicking them on. Most people have no idea when they're supposed to use them anyway, so click them on with the slightest morning mist

In case anyone doesn't know....

When visibility is reduced to 100m or less by fog, falling snow or heavy spray. You MUST turn them off is visibility improves. HC 226/236

I always advise my learners that 4 normally spaced street lamps are about 100m apart.
Old 11 March 2011, 09:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Can't car makers engineer a fog sensor? I'm surprised VAG don't do this, they have sensors for everything else?
Old 11 March 2011, 09:46 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Can't car makers engineer a fog sensor? I'm surprised VAG don't do this, they have sensors for everything else?
Please God no Just more to go wrong

I suppose a simple humidity sensor linked to the outside temp sensor could do it Maybe barometric pressure

Last edited by corradoboy; 11 March 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11 March 2011, 09:59 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Please God no Just more to go wrong

I suppose a simple humidity sensor linked to the outside temp sensor could do it Maybe barometric pressure
Old 11 March 2011, 11:47 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont get the issue with fogs. They dont blind you.

Infact for city and motorway driving where this is ample overhead (street) lighting I would prefer it if people just used their side lights and Fogs. The number of times I get blinded by some **** whos overly and unecessarily bright light completely fill my mirrors is starting to get out of hand.

You only need dipped lights on an unlit city street or A road. Full beam is only ever needed in the country where there is no surrounding lighting, and the roads are long and winding.
Old 11 March 2011, 11:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Fogs are deliberately a wide beam pattern which will stray into the oncoming lane, as they are intended to illuminate the white line and the kerb just a few metres in front of the car. The fact that the beam is only a few meters long negates any benefit at any speed over about 10mph, but the lack of any compulsory method of focussing the beam, or any check of that focus come MOT time means they often are directed wrongly, as well as being useless to the driver in all but the prescribed conditions. Their low positioning on the car, again done for a specific and justified reason (fog is less dense at ground level due to ambient ground temp and atmospheric pressure) means the angle of incidence for oncoming drivers can result in multiple reflections on a wet surface, doubling the potential for glare or distraction.

It's illegal, it's pointless, it's potentially dangerous, so just bloody stop it !
Old 12 March 2011, 12:20 AM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

I drive around with mine on during the day (unless it is sunny), it is a habit I have from being a motorcyclist and a train driver.

They are not there so I can see, they are there so others can see me!!!!!

You also find that Buses in central London used to have there lights on during the day by local order/law because of the amount of pedestrians around.

As for fogs being illegal I tend to disagree to a degree. Using side or fog lights instead of headlights in hours of darkness is just plain stupid and illegal, but having fogs on with your headlights is not illegal, fog lights do not have a focus so therefore they do not project light very far, if your blinding someone with your fog light I suggest the move further than 3 metres away from them as that is all they are effective for.

I use my fog lights (in conjunction with my head lights) to define the contours/pot holes of the horrendous UK roads as they do a better job at it than headlights by them self's

****Edit****
Side light only at night (whether in the city or not) are dangerous, the amount of times I have pulled out of my road (which has a van parked on the corner so I cannot see down the road which means you reliy on being able to see a head light coming) to have some **** flying along on his side lights.

People that blind you with there headlights is because there beams are not aligned, a car which is MOT passable will not have that problem. Either have a word with them, let them pass so your behind them or use that tab on your rear view mirror!!!

If you have an accident at night and you were found with side lights or fog lights you would be screwed.

Last edited by Nutzz; 12 March 2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:30 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Side-lights, fine √
Dipped head-lights, fine √
Fog-lights, NO X
Main beam head-lights, only on unlit roads when there are no moving vehicles visible in front.
Originally Posted by Highway Code
Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).
[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]
The word 'MUST' and the relevant legal reference tell you it is law, whether you agree or not, and it does carry a fine under 'misuse of vehicle lighting'.

Notice on this image how the light from the fog-lights seems brighter than that of the correctly aligned and focussed head-lights, and the reflection of the illuminated road directly in front of the car further adds to that glare. Also, I very much doubt that the driver can even see much of the effect beyond the bonnet....

It's illegal, it's selfish, it's arrogant, it's pointless.... must I keep repeating when there is no justification ?
Old 12 March 2011, 12:37 AM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

There was no doubt about Main beam head-lights (full beam) and that shows I am correct about head lights (dipped beam) and that driving with just side lights is a no no.

As regards for fog lights, I have checked mine for pattern and distance and they do not glare like the ones in your pics (which probably have over rated bulbs in to be that bright)

As for the law that is some thing I am prepare to challenge in a court room on the grounds of road safety

Last edited by Nutzz; 12 March 2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:49 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nutzz
driving with just side lights is a no no.

As for the law that is some thing I am prepare to challenge in a court room on the grounds of road safety
The minimum legal requirement on roads with a 30mph limit and street-lighting during the hours of darkness is SIDE-LIGHTS only. Dipped head-lights on other roads.

As for your willingness to challenge something so trivial and unnecessary, I would question your priorities and attitude. The law is there because the general opinion is that the glare caused is considered dangerous. Your singular opinion is unlikely to change that position, so you would be wasting a lot of time and money on a futile opinion based on arrogance.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:50 AM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

Your opinion bud, were all entitled to one.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:52 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Not opinion, law. Your opinion is wrong and you know it.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:53 AM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

Oh and I do take safety highly, see as I am responsible for transporting up to 800 people at a time. Like I said I have checked my fogs, maybe because there recessed into the bumper they don't glare like the ones in your pic, if I had any doubts I would not use them for what I use them for.

I tell you what I will even take some pics for you tomorrow night when I finished work. If that will make ya happy.

Quick Reply: Front fog lights