Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Following the other Dreams thread, help me find a mattress pleas

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2011, 09:05 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Following the other Dreams thread, help me find a mattress pleas

Popped into Dreams yesterday and it was a hateful place. Salesmen full off bullsh1t and after the other thread on here I don't really want to buy off them.

We did see the bed below that was nice but I am trying to find the mattress elsewhere, I think it is the one on the jjbeds link. Do people agree?

http://www.dreams.co.uk/divan-sets/d...duct/Post.aspx

http://www.jjbeds.co.uk/Product-4089

Is the one below the same as then jjbeds one as I think it is

http://www.mattress24.co.uk/product/...t_Mattress-299

Cheers, Chop
Old 06 March 2011, 09:58 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Chop,

All I can say is DO NOT buy from Dreams.

Chip
Old 06 March 2011, 10:11 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The number of pocket springs?
Old 06 March 2011, 10:13 AM
Scooby Regular

Chip,

Had a feeling you might say that We aren't as to many bad reports out there, thus this thread.

Chop
Old 06 March 2011, 10:22 AM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Sleepmasters is where we went in the end. We bought one similar to the one in your bottom link. Paid £400 (kingsize) and I'm very happy with it, and the slight back ache I used to wake up with has completely gone. The customer service was brilliant and didn't try to sell me the most expensive one for my budget and I spent £100 less than what I told him my max was.

Aaron
Old 06 March 2011, 10:37 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If you know the exact make/model you're looking for, Homebase have a pretty massive range, and you might get lucky and find it in a sale.
Old 06 March 2011, 12:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Well, in January I bought a Matress, the bedding is off in the wash at the mo so I've just has a nosey at the make/model. Its a:

Sleepshaper

Supreme Pocket 1600.

Pocket sprung matress with "Outlast" covering, memory foam topping, washable anti-mite cover and 10year gaurantee. I think mine is the firm model. Not cheap either.

Takes a bit getting used to the memory foam and the spring seemed quite hard, but it seeme to soften up nicely after a month or so. Only critism is it can be a bit clammy - I was told it would breath better than a full memory foam mattress (something to do with this Outlast thingy), but this is still quite a warm mattress. I guess I'll know in the summer; My fancy super duper tog duvet doesn't help, so I probably have to swap it to something a thinner when it warms up.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 March 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06 March 2011, 01:15 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

We bought a kingsize bed just under a year ago having finished a new extension to the house giving us a rather large bedroom. Opted for Sealy cumbrian meadow base and mattress. Think both came in at around £580. Money well spent.

I would advise you to buy from someone who knows about beds, not one of the warehouse type places that will swamp you with sales BS.
Old 06 March 2011, 06:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

From a quick Google around I would hazard a guess that 'Body Response' is a Dreams sub-brand. Probably made for them by one of the major players, but exclusive to them with that name. I'd bet that the same mattress can be had elsewhere, but who made it and which model is a mystery that I don't have time to unravel.

To give you an idea what their business model is, our new mattress is a Sleepeezee Backcare Ultimate 2000, with 2000 individual pocketed springs, wool and cashmere, hand tufted, four row extra stiff sides and a 'Cairo' damask finish. We paid £385 delivered with a 5yr warranty. Dreams sold the exact same bed as the Sleepeezee 'Cairo' Exactly the same spec, and it IS exactly the same mattress, but they had it at £1150, plus £40 extended warranty, plus £35 delivery, plus £xx for disposal of the old if req'd.

The Eqyptian names (Cairo, Cleopatra etc) seem to have been dropped this year in favour of political names (Churchill, Kennedy, Lincoln etc) on Sleepeezee, but the same practise of renaming generic products and bumping the price through the roof continues.

One thing I would suggest is that you consider a separate memory foam topper. That way, if the topper gets tired or you fancy a different one, you don't have to change the whole bed.
Old 06 March 2011, 06:36 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
From a quick Google around I would hazard a guess that 'Body Response' is a Dreams sub-brand. Probably made for them by one of the major players, but exclusive to them with that name. I'd bet that the same mattress can be had elsewhere, but who made it and which model is a mystery that I don't have time to unravel.

To give you an idea what their business model is, our new mattress is a Sleepeezee Backcare Ultimate 2000, with 2000 individual pocketed springs, wool and cashmere, hand tufted, four row extra stiff sides and a 'Cairo' damask finish. We paid £385 delivered with a 5yr warranty. Dreams sold the exact same bed as the Sleepeezee 'Cairo' Exactly the same spec, and it IS exactly the same mattress, but they had it at £1150, plus £40 extended warranty, plus £35 delivery, plus £xx for disposal of the old if req'd.

The Eqyptian names (Cairo, Cleopatra etc) seem to have been dropped this year in favour of political names (Churchill, Kennedy, Lincoln etc) on Sleepeezee, but the same practise of renaming generic products and bumping the price through the roof continues.

One thing I would suggest is that you consider a separate memory foam topper. That way, if the topper gets tired or you fancy a different one, you don't have to change the whole bed.

Oooh........I suddenly fancy a different topper!
Old 06 March 2011, 06:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Oooh........I suddenly fancy a different topper!
I don't mind, I'll stay on the bottom
Old 06 March 2011, 06:41 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I don't mind, I'll stay on the bottom

You, my dear........can go wherever you like!
Old 06 March 2011, 06:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
You, my dear........can go wherever you like!
So now we only need to sort out when
Old 06 March 2011, 06:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Woah! This sounds like a serious rip off.
Old 06 March 2011, 07:44 PM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the posts, some really helpful information.

Going to look into it further as still can't quite get my head round what we actually want/need.

Definitely not going to buy off dreams, the experience yesterday still irks me when I think of it.

Thinking of maybe just getting a memory foam topper as suggested by corradoboy, as most of the mattresses we liked had a memory foam top.

Didn't realise buying a bed would be so much hassle.

Cheers all, Chop
Old 06 March 2011, 08:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
Didn't realise buying a bed would be so much hassle.
You spend over a third of your life there, so it needs to be right
Old 06 March 2011, 09:28 PM
Scooby Regular

You spend over a third of your life there, so it needs to be right
Absolutely, thanks for your posts.

Just bought a 4inch memory foam mattress off eBay. Me and mrs chop thought let's see if we like memory foam as we were looking a a memory topped matress and if so we can make the big purchase when this one wears out.

As I see it, it isn't much different to buying a brand new mattress with a memory top.

For £80 it is feels a good halfway house anyway.

Cheer, Chop
Old 06 March 2011, 09:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Be careful with cheap MF products. Many simply aren't MF, some are part MF, so maybe 3" of normal foam with 1" of MF sandwiched on top. Some bed places have samples of proper MF where they display Tempur products, handy for comparing.
Old 06 March 2011, 09:43 PM
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks,

The seller had 36,000 feedback with only 3 negatives on 15,000 in the last year. He mainly sells memory foam so hopefully it's sells ok stuff. More expensive as well than lots of sellers.

Will report on the results!
Old 06 March 2011, 09:44 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Dont get a memory foam one. Wife came home and found out what I was doing to the dog ! lol
Old 06 March 2011, 09:55 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Dont get a memory foam one. Wife came home and found out what I was doing to the dog ! lol
Old 06 March 2011, 10:40 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Loads of advice on this site.
http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/
Old 06 March 2011, 10:40 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

No idea if www.sleepingsolutions.co.uk is any good
but just found them on quidco offering 20% !
Old 07 March 2011, 12:26 AM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Lol im the ex regional sales and product trainer for the whole of the North for Dreams any questions hit me with them i trained them all. Its not all Bull**** its if you want to believe what the sales guys are saying obviuosly some took the training on board better than others and can offer better advice.
A couple of pointers though with memory foam use egyptian cotton sheets to cool when you sleep.
Number of pocket springs King size mattress generally can hold up to 1000 springs and when you get 2000 3000 springs etc they are springs within springs.
Your pillow is the most important factor to a great nights sleep i turned away so many customers to buy a bed and sold them a pillow instead,.
I have a bed called the Chaucer from dreams with a pocket memory pillow and pillows that have a ltex core and goose down outer and believe me i sleep well and its all about the pillows.
Hit me with any questions i no longer work there but have a wealth of knowledge where i can help you choose the right bed if you were to shop there and then you can cut through any said bull**** and get what you want.
Your duvet is also a very important factor relating to a good night sleep having the correct TOG i.e. there is no point getting cotton sheets and mattresses that breathe and if you are a warm sleeper go and buy a 14.5 TOG duvet its all about getting the right balance, i even have a Goose down duvet thats Egyptian cotton, and i can tell you some horror stories about bed mites in pillows after 6 months so change pillows regular as they can cause allergies and any asthmatics will suffer.
My bed Duvet and pillows must have come to well over £3000 and its not a place where you should skimp on moneywise after all its where you spend a 3rd of your life and the nights sleep you have and how you sleep denotes your health.
I left to further my career and spend more time with my children as i were travelling the north and staying away from home far too much.
Anyway im off to my lovely bed
Old 08 March 2011, 09:34 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

We went for a Millbrook 2500 pocket spring one. I'm sure the above guy is right that past 2000 springs etc it is a sping in a spring. But the thing I liked about this one is you can be right at the edge of the bed and there is no slouch as there are meant to be 1000 springs around the edge that hold it up. Handy if your on a bit on the podgy side like me

We found the independent stores a lot cheaper.
Best bet is to just try a load for yourself.