Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bernie has the power to make it rain.

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2011, 01:41 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bernie has the power to make it rain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...in-formula-one
Old 04 March 2011, 01:49 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only Bernie would decide to build a load of tracks in the desert, and then decide we don't have enough wet races.
Old 04 March 2011, 01:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

haha, do away with all the daft rules about the car shoudl this and that and be this sizre and that, take it back to the true height of design and then see what happens, i think you'll find the amount of inovation and specticle of the racing goes sky high
Old 04 March 2011, 01:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
haha, do away with all the daft rules about the car shoudl this and that and be this sizre and that, take it back to the true height of design and then see what happens, i think you'll find the amount of inovation and specticle of the racing goes sky high
Common sense isn't it?
Old 04 March 2011, 01:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Common sense isn't it?
to most folks yes,,, lol
Old 04 March 2011, 02:49 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Angry

God, he's a frikkin idiot!
Old 04 March 2011, 02:51 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that can be done these days, it would simply be a case of who can afford to spend the most. I think the rules should help to advance technology that can be applied to day-to-day technologies such as road cars, the aerospace industry, etc.
Old 04 March 2011, 03:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Get rid of aerofoils and negative lift items. These can have on effect on the design of road cars which is one of the aims of F1 since its beginnings.

Make the designers have to work on suspension design which is applicable to road cars, as it has been in the past, instead of suspensions which hardly move at all, and that would also create far more interesting racing. no problems with wings when following a car through a corner as it is today.

Les
Old 04 March 2011, 03:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
I don't think that can be done these days, it would simply be a case of who can afford to spend the most. I think the rules should help to advance technology that can be applied to day-to-day technologies such as road cars, the aerospace industry, etc.

not sure i agree tbh. i think it would put more pressure on inovation. whats the point in spending 20mill to get 0.01 seconds advantage when your competitors spend £500 on a different wheel design and it makes the car 1 second quicker?

its trying to get the last 0.1% of performance out of something that is always 90% of the cost.

as far as day to day tech, where have ABS, traction control etc origionated from? and there now banned

Last edited by Tidgy; 04 March 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04 March 2011, 08:38 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Why just go for rain, surely an ad hoc oil slick here or there will liven it up no end
Old 04 March 2011, 08:50 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

not sure i agree tbh. i think it would put more pressure on inovation. whats the point in spending 20mill to get 0.01 seconds advantage when your competitors spend £500 on a different wheel design and it makes the car 1 second quicker?

its trying to get the last 0.1% of performance out of something that is always 90% of the cost.

as far as day to day tech, where have ABS, traction control etc origionated from? and there now banned
In an ideal world this would be great.
Just a limit on either minimum weight or engine cc.
Reality is some what different.
You would end up with 2 cars out in front winning everything. Remember Ferrari+schumacher from 2000-2004?
I was a massive fan of the combination, but there is just no decent action when one team dominates. Look at what we had last year though. No testing, resource restrictions and we get the best year of F1 I have seen for the past 15 years. Ok, so there isn't 'that much' over taking in modern day F1. Tell me when there was! It is all about stupidly fast cars racing close together with super humans behind the wheel.

If teams are as super close and super competitive as they were last year, how do you expect another driver to easily overtake another? Yeah sure, it might look easy from the comfort of your arm chair whilst your sunday roast is slowing digesting, but come on. If you moan about a lck of over taking from F1, then you just don't get what it is all about. Last year was a monumental year for the enthusiast.
Old 04 March 2011, 09:06 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Why just go for rain, surely an ad hoc oil slick here or there will liven it up no end
& some banana skins ...& some turtle shells!
Old 04 March 2011, 09:22 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Perhaps more interesting than the article itself is this link below it:
Rule changes could make Button champion, says Ecclestone

Did anyone else predict JB winning the 2009 championship that early, before the season had even kicked off?
Old 04 March 2011, 10:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Perhaps more interesting than the article itself is this link below it:
Rule changes could make Button champion, says Ecclestone

Did anyone else predict JB winning the 2009 championship that early, before the season had even kicked off?
Yes anyone who saw the test times from the first time the Brawn ran in January 2009
Old 04 March 2011, 10:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
In an ideal world this would be great.
Just a limit on either minimum weight or engine cc.
Reality is some what different.
You would end up with 2 cars out in front winning everything. Remember Ferrari+schumacher from 2000-2004?
I was a massive fan of the combination, but there is just no decent action when one team dominates. Look at what we had last year though. No testing, resource restrictions and we get the best year of F1 I have seen for the past 15 years. Ok, so there isn't 'that much' over taking in modern day F1. Tell me when there was! It is all about stupidly fast cars racing close together with super humans behind the wheel.

If teams are as super close and super competitive as they were last year, how do you expect another driver to easily overtake another? Yeah sure, it might look easy from the comfort of your arm chair whilst your sunday roast is slowing digesting, but come on. If you moan about a lck of over taking from F1, then you just don't get what it is all about. Last year was a monumental year for the enthusiast.
Sorry I disagree. We got lucky last year. The sport has always had seasons where one team dominates and others where racing is closer. The new rules had nothing to do with last year and anyway many of the races weren't that great until something untoward intervened like the rain - a lot of wet sessions last year.

While the no testing idea and limited development sound great they stopped teams like McLaren and Mercedes being able to catch up as quickly as they once would and if it hadn't been for a lot of mistakes from Red Bull the championship would have been sealed by three quarters distance anyway.

The constant mooting of gimicky rules is costing the sport its credibility. It should be about driver excellence and engineering innovation not artificially wet tracks, races on streets and stupid tyre rgeulations not to mention the green and endurance aspects of it.

It's shadow of what it once was I am afraid. I know people will say otherwise, but I remember organising barbeques on Sunday afternoons where a lot of my friends and their wives/girlfriends would gather and we would ALL watch the race.

Nowadays it's only the hardened fans who have any interest left.
Old 05 March 2011, 02:45 AM
Alg
Scooby Regular

1/Red turtle shells.
2/Green turtle shells.
3/Banana skins.
and
4/ Boost start if you hold the throttle down for the right amount of time.

That should do it.
Old 05 March 2011, 01:47 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I`m suprised he hasn`t suggested having sheep, cows, foxes and horses crossing the track like they have in rallying just to make it even more interesting.
Old 05 March 2011, 03:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The answer is allready there.

Get rid of the huge run off areas and rumble strips...

Kitty litter to the track edge. Sharp corners to force cars to slow down before entering..

Dump tracks that dont encourage overtaking... bye bye Monaco

Mart
Old 05 March 2011, 07:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ar-enough.html
Old 06 March 2011, 02:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Sorry I disagree. We got lucky last year. The sport has always had seasons where one team dominates and others where racing is closer. The new rules had nothing to do with last year and anyway many of the races weren't that great until something untoward intervened like the rain - a lot of wet sessions last year.

While the no testing idea and limited development sound great they stopped teams like McLaren and Mercedes being able to catch up as quickly as they once would and if it hadn't been for a lot of mistakes from Red Bull the championship would have been sealed by three quarters distance anyway.

The constant mooting of gimicky rules is costing the sport its credibility. It should be about driver excellence and engineering innovation not artificially wet tracks, races on streets and stupid tyre rgeulations not to mention the green and endurance aspects of it.

It's shadow of what it once was I am afraid. I know people will say otherwise, but I remember organising barbeques on Sunday afternoons where a lot of my friends and their wives/girlfriends would gather and we would ALL watch the race.

Nowadays it's only the hardened fans who have any interest left.
I agree with those sentiments.

Overcontrol of the regulations is restricting designers from producing real innovation in basic design which is against the original idea behind the meaning of F1 in that it was meant to be the vehicle of top design.

The present regulations which include the use of wings bear little resemblance to the future development of personal transport and the designers are stuck with non existent suspension design and the hope of a more powerful engine that the other competitors.

Les
Old 06 March 2011, 05:30 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

maybe that bang on the head during the robbery last year has caused some real damage!
step aside Bernie, dementia is on its way.
Old 07 March 2011, 04:15 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Get number of cars
Divide by two
Send first half clockwise
Send second half anti-clockwise
There you go, much more interesting