Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Libya evacuation - same sh!t - different government

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2011, 10:52 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Libya evacuation - same **** - different government

Just watched Cameron apologising for the delay in getting planes to Libya to bring back the British people stranded there. It's all very well saying sorry, but why yet again does this sort of thing happen in the UK. Most other countries in Europe got on with it, but no, we have to dither about... as long as he has said sorry though, then that's OK?

Then in the next breath the plight of the oil workers stranded in the desert is raised and we have a governemnt spokesman saying even thought the companies they work for have admitted they don't know how to get them out we need to proceed carefully and not send in the SAS just yet as discussions need to take place first

EDIT: Can a mod change the title on this - typing on a phone isn't easy

Last edited by f1_fan; 24 February 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 24 February 2011, 11:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't help thinking that it is all down to the importance placed on the plight of the people of this country by those of any party who are running the government.

Les
Old 24 February 2011, 11:36 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Isn't more to do with the Libya air space control? I.E. no flights were allowing in out for a while?
Old 24 February 2011, 11:40 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Isn't more to do with the Libya air space control? I.E. no flights were allowing in out for a while?
Yup, the options are to engage and destroy Libyan planes and anti aircraft defences then take over the airfields and airports if resistance is offered which could easily been seen as an act of war/aggression against a middle eastern country having 'internal difficulties'.

Hobson's choice really...
Old 24 February 2011, 01:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Laughing Stock Around The World!!!

This is what happens when you have elected boys and they are asked to do a mans job!!!

I am talking about the Lybian Airlift ... or non-airlift!!!!

You've got clueless rich Eton Boyz in charge - not done a proper days work in their lives - and expect them to do a mans job!!

Austria were well organised, the Germans (as you would expect), Turkey and Russia all stood up to the mark and did what had to be done ........... what did the Tories do?? They hired a clapped out plane which wouldn't start!!!

PLEASE can we have the MEN back who were running the country before?? PLEASE!!!!

Pathetic!! It saddens me that a once great nation is in the hands of kiddies who haven't a clue!!
Old 24 February 2011, 01:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The Plane was broken ......... we have Boys in charge where there should be Men!!
Old 24 February 2011, 01:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
The Plane was broken ......... we have Boys in charge where there should be Men!!

Get your facts straight:

The plane that broke down at Gatwick (G-OJIB) was privately chartered by BP. So had nothing to do with our Eton boys.
Old 24 February 2011, 01:35 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DO NOT FEAR... I've just been watching the news, the SAS are going in now.
Old 24 February 2011, 01:36 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Doofus lewis

And you go on about other people's spelling?
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 24 February 2011, 03:52 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

This is what happens when you have elected boys and they are asked to do a mans job!!!

You've got clueless rich Eton Boyz in charge - not done a proper days work in their lives - and expect them to do a mans job!!

Austria were well organised, the Germans (as you would expect), Turkey and Russia all stood up to the mark and did what had to be done ........... what did the Tories do?? They hired a clapped out plane which wouldn't start!!!

PLEASE can we have the MEN back who were running the country before?? PLEASE!!!!

Pathetic!! It saddens me that a once great nation is in the hands of kiddies who haven't a clue!!

When we were stuck in Thailand due to civil unrest it was a full week before we could get out. We watched as other tourists from France, Spain, Germany, Australia etc etc were all flown home by their governments.
This was Nov/ Dec 2008, I think Labour were in charge then?
Old 24 February 2011, 03:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
When we were stuck in Thailand due to civil unrest it was a full week before we could get out. We watched as other tourists from France, Spain, Germany, Australia etc etc were all flown home by their governments.
This was Nov/ Dec 2008, I think Labour were in charge then?
Correct , as I said.... same ****, different government! Ignore Pete, he is having a bad day in the old folks home. I think his piles are giving him trouble
Old 24 February 2011, 04:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Correct , as I said.... same ****, different government! Ignore Pete, he is having a bad day in the old folks home. I think his piles are giving him trouble
Yes and ignore the comments about invasion of Libyan airspace whilst you are at it. The stranded from all nations are stuck there, not just the Brits!
Old 24 February 2011, 04:51 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Yes and ignore the comments about invasion of Libyan airspace whilst you are at it. The stranded from all nations are stuck there, not just the Brits!
Niot true, Russia, Germany, China, Ukraine and 8 other countires all airlifted most of their citizens out on Monday/Tuesday.

Funny isn't it, if this was a Labour government you would have a completely different pint of view.

Last edited by f1_fan; 24 February 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 24 February 2011, 05:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Niot true, Russia, Germany, China, Ukraine and 8 other countires all airlifted most of their citizens out on Monday/Tuesday.

Funny isn't it, if this was a Labour government you would have a completely different pint of view.
Yup, make mine a pint

A lot closer to the truth
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/af...252240283.html

Despite the efforts of foreign governments, tens of thousands of expatriates from around the world still remain stranded in Libya.

A Filipino industry support group said thousands of its workers are desperate to be rescued, while rough weather has left hundreds of Americans stranded on a ferry in Tripoli, the Libyan capital.

Al Jazeera's James Bays said there was "a desperate scene at Tripoli's airport", with a "log-jam" including people who have been trying to leave the country for three days.

"The airport is still very firmly under the control of Gaddafi's people," he said, adding that secret police are patrolling the area, and several checkpoints have been set up on the road leading there.

You cannot land planes of there isn't any space or is unsafe to do so. It is not About NL and scoring points off of the Con-Diim pact and it is not just Brits stranded there! I seem to remember it was NL who put pressure on the Scottish government to release Al Magrehy(sp?)and where seen photographed with Gadaffi so lets not get to high and mighty about NL and how clean they are - they took us into the ME war of attrition we are now in by lying to us about the threat to us!

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 February 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 24 February 2011, 05:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Get your facts straight:

The plane that broke down at Gatwick (G-OJIB) was privately chartered by BP. So had nothing to do with our Eton boys.
There you go .......... confusing the issue!!!

I like to keep things simple for the simple ...
Old 24 February 2011, 05:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

"Hundreds of terrified Britons were still trapped in Libya today as the plane meant to rescue them sat on the tarmac at Gatwick with a ‘technical fault’.
The first specially-chartered flight to Tripoli designed to rescue 500 stranded men and women had been announced yesterday by Foreign Secretary William Hague.
But as Colonel Gaddafi’s regime teetered on the brink of bloody civil war, and other nations evacuated their citizens from danger, Britain’s response to the crisis descended into chaos"

No mention of a BP Flight ... but, of course, the Daily Mail could just be 'selective' with the facts?

Fact is, William Hague seems to be taking all the credit for the plane .... understandable really, as, if it was sorted by BP then the Tories were even MORE pathetic than we all thought!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1EtrgKxLl

Last edited by pslewis; 24 February 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 24 February 2011, 06:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yup, make mine a pint

A lot closer to the truth
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/af...252240283.html

Despite the efforts of foreign governments, tens of thousands of expatriates from around the world still remain stranded in Libya.

A Filipino industry support group said thousands of its workers are desperate to be rescued, while rough weather has left hundreds of Americans stranded on a ferry in Tripoli, the Libyan capital.

Al Jazeera's James Bays said there was "a desperate scene at Tripoli's airport", with a "log-jam" including people who have been trying to leave the country for three days.

"The airport is still very firmly under the control of Gaddafi's people," he said, adding that secret police are patrolling the area, and several checkpoints have been set up on the road leading there.

You cannot land planes of there isn't any space or is unsafe to do so. It is not About NL and scoring points off of the Con-Diim pact and it is not just Brits stranded there! I seem to remember it was NL who put pressure on the Scottish government to release Al Magrehy(sp?)and where seen photographed with Gadaffi so lets not get to high and mighty about NL and how clean they are - they took us into the ME war of attrition we are now in by lying to us about the threat to us!
So did those 12 countires send planes and get many of their citizens out? Yes or No? Hint: If not what the f**k is Cameron apologising for?

And where the hell did I claim NL were clean? Why can't you get it through your head that people don't have to be Tories or Labour in this country, they can destest both parties or even all parties as indeed I do. You read **** into my posts that just isn't there. It's pretty weird to be frank!

Last edited by f1_fan; 24 February 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 24 February 2011, 06:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

So did those 12 countires send planes and get many of their citizens out? Yes or No? Hint: If not what the f**k is Cameron apologising for?

And where the hell did I claim NL were clean? Why can't you get it through your head that people don't have to be Tories or Labour in this country, they can destest both parties or even all parties as indeed I do. You read **** into my posts that just isn't there. It's pretty weird to be frank!
Easy now, this is just the internet, perhaps you need to give it a rest
Old 24 February 2011, 06:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Easy now, this is just the internet, perhaps you need to give it a rest
And perhaps you should answer my question!!
Old 24 February 2011, 06:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

And perhaps you should answer my question!!
In answer to your question, you did not - however, i did not say you did i just pointed out NL hardly have a clean record when it comes to Libya, no more no less and i feel you reading more into the 'high asnd mighty' comment

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 February 2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 24 February 2011, 06:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

In answer to your question, you did not - however, i did not say you did i just pointed out NL hardly have a clean record when it comes to Libya, no more no less
Ahem... the planes question?
Old 24 February 2011, 06:54 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Ahem... the planes question?
Oh i give up...FFS it is one of the problems with non 2f2 communication...
Old 24 February 2011, 06:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Oh i give up...FFS it is one of the problems with non 2f2 communication...
I'll take that as a yes then

P.S. Do';t be so obsessed with NL, it's not good for you
Old 24 February 2011, 06:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'll take that as a yes then

P.S. Do';t be so obsessed with NL, it's not good for you
Old 24 February 2011, 08:29 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Gheyers.
Old 24 February 2011, 10:31 PM
jonnyrex
Scooby Regular

Nick Clegg was tonight forced home from holiday in Switzerland to help handle the Libya crisis...."These Libyans sure know how to F@@k up your school holidays "...He allegedly thought
Old 24 February 2011, 10:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

"Hundreds of terrified Britons were still trapped in Libya today as the plane meant to rescue them sat on the tarmac at Gatwick with a ‘technical fault’.
The first specially-chartered flight to Tripoli designed to rescue 500 stranded men and women had been announced yesterday by Foreign Secretary William Hague.
But as Colonel Gaddafi’s regime teetered on the brink of bloody civil war, and other nations evacuated their citizens from danger, Britain’s response to the crisis descended into chaos"

No mention of a BP Flight ... but, of course, the Daily Mail could just be 'selective' with the facts?

Fact is, William Hague seems to be taking all the credit for the plane .... understandable really, as, if it was sorted by BP then the Tories were even MORE pathetic than we all thought!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1EtrgKxLl
Where the hell is flightman when you need him

The plane is an Astraeus charter hired by BP.

I only know as the rumour-mill thought it was "Ed Force One" (The Iron Maiden Tour plane), which is operated by the same airline. But that was confirmed to be somewhere in Australia, well, according to PPRuNe at least - which is certainly a step higher in accuracy than our tabloids.
Old 24 February 2011, 10:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

^^^^ So, the Tories did absolutely NOTHING then?

That is a disgrace and shows that the boys in power haven't a clue when a situation arises which needs men to call the shots ............... and it worries me!
Old 24 February 2011, 11:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

More of a case that the contractors out there should have evac'd them sooner IMO.

I'm sure our government would happly send in a few VC10s if they could send the bill to BP. Problem with sending in military transport is its highly unlikely that Libya would allow them to land. And pretty much all civil planes are privately owned....I can really see the likes of Willie Walsh saying "yeah we'll send our brand new A380 over there, free of charge".

Quick Reply: Libya evacuation - same sh!t - different government