eBay question

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2011, 11:22 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default eBay question

I bought something off a listing that had

NO COMPENSATION CLAIM FOR ITEMS LOST IN THE POST CAN BE ENTERED INTO, UNLESS RECORDED POSTAGE IS PAID FOR. THERE ARE NO EXEMPTIONS TO THIS RULE.

As I understand it, posting that means **** all.. and the seller is responsible for the item ? I've passed it over to eBay now, its only a cheap item, but I paid for it.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:49 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

scrap that, eBay just gave me the money back.
Old 22 February 2011, 12:24 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never understand why sellers put this, they are responsible in getting the item to you and recorded delivery is not worth anything! our postman puts all our recorded parcels in our letter box or near our front door with out a signature.
Old 22 February 2011, 01:52 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I never understand why sellers put this, they are responsible in getting the item to you and recorded delivery is not worth anything! our postman puts all our recorded parcels in our letter box or near our front door with out a signature.
so what happens then if you have a item from ebay do you say you haven't received it?
Old 22 February 2011, 02:51 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
so what happens then if you have a item from ebay do you say you haven't received it?
why would I say that

I'm not a scammer unlike most ebayers (or as i call them: ebay scum!)
Old 22 February 2011, 04:34 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

so what happens if someone else who has your postman has an item from ebay, couldn't they say they haven't received it?
EF?
Old 22 February 2011, 07:02 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I almost stopped selling anything on Ebay when they started insisting I have to accept Paypal - and then changed their T&Cs to allow them to hang on to my money until the buyer says they're happy. Sod that, frankly; at least buyers have a choice of who to buy from, sellers don't. Whoever wins your auction is the person you have to deal with, however dodgy they are.

On that basis I do now insist that buyers have to pay for postal insurance whether they like it or not, and I build it into my P&P charge. It's not worth the risk that someone might buy an item off me, claim it got lost in the post and leave me high and dry. At least if it's insured there's someone to recover my costs from if it goes "missing".
Old 22 February 2011, 07:14 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

If it is only "recorded delivery" then that does not require a signature on delivery, it just gives the sender proof that they sent it.

For it to be signed for on delivery they need to send it "recorded delivery - signed for", or whatever the exact term is.
Old 22 February 2011, 07:16 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

why would I say that

I'm not a scammer unlike most ebayers (or as i call them: ebay scum!)

not saying that you would say it, although i know a lot of people who would as ebay/paypal always favour the buyer irrelevant of the circumstances and to be honest your postman doesn't deserve his job, after all people are paying for a service and are not receiving it.
Old 22 February 2011, 07:21 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
If it is only "recorded delivery" then that does not require a signature on delivery, it just gives the sender proof that they sent it.

For it to be signed for on delivery they need to send it "recorded delivery - signed for", or whatever the exact term is.

recorded delivery is just that it needs to be signed for by the recipient or the dodgy postman.
Old 22 February 2011, 09:03 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby

don't state facts when you don't know what you are talking about!

not saying that you would say it, although i know a lot of people who would as ebay/paypal always favour the buyer irrelevant of the circumstances and to be honest your postman doesn't deserve his job, after all people are paying for a service and are not receiving it.
I deal with many postmen on a daily basis and I'm sorry to say that nearly every one is a complete lazy ****er! They all want sacking and just employ the few good ones,
Old 22 February 2011, 09:10 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

don't state facts when you don't know what you are talking about!

I deal with many postmen police sergeants and higher ranks on a daily basis and I'm sorry to say that nearly every one is a complete lazy ****er! They all want sacking and just employ the few good ones,
ETA.