Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

People in the office who put URGENT in their emails

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2011, 07:25 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People in the office who put URGENT in their emails

I'm seeing a lot of this lately. One or two colleagues using the exclamation mark in Outlook and using the word "URGENT" in their email titles when more often than not, the issue is not urgent.

Some people just want to be answered quickly regardless of other priorities which in reality are often more important, or URRRRRGENT as they like to say.

Nick
Old 21 February 2011, 07:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a member of staff you used to do this - his e-mails were far more important and urgent than anyone elses!!!!

He is only young, after I told him that red exclaimation marks make me ignore them for a few days he has stopped
Old 21 February 2011, 07:37 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

people who request read receipts on every email they send - boil my ****
Old 21 February 2011, 07:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Outlook Rules and Alerts, look for the word urgent...sent to "delayed" folder
Old 21 February 2011, 08:06 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I do occasionally use the "!" but as it is occasionally I normally mean it ...

Steve
Old 21 February 2011, 08:07 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I just don't send back "read" receipts to them. thus, I let them boil their own blood and/or p!ss over it.

Nothing is worse than receiving nonsense jokes from some idle idiots within a professional email network. TBH, receiving such is very annoying even in personal email network. Same is with chain emails ****. I delete this sort of nonsense straight away, without looking at it. They are usually forwared messages with titles such a "look!" or "Very Funny, Must See!" or "I thought this was funny!" to a group of people. Some people have too much time in their hands to circulate garbage around, I suppose.

Last edited by Turbohot; 21 February 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 21 February 2011, 08:09 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To be fair, I think people have got into this habit as these days emails simply do not get read at all, nevermind answered, well that's my experience anyway. People seem to have the lost the ability to get off their ***** and speak with someone or pickup the phone.
Old 21 February 2011, 08:11 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Nothing is worse than receiving nonsense jokes from some idle idiots within a professional email network. TBH, receiving such is very annoying even in personal email network. Same is with chain emails ****. I delete this sort of nonsense straight away, without looking at it. They are usually forwared messages with titles such a "look!" or "Very Funny, Must See!" or "I thought this was funny!" to a group of people. Some people have too much time in their hands to circulate garbage around, I suppose.
Agreed. Like those joke emails that are forwarded, forwarded, forwarded.... etc. Why not just cut out the **** and paste into a fresh email!
Old 21 February 2011, 08:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
Agreed. Like those joke emails that are forwarded, forwarded, forwarded.... etc. Why not just cut out the **** and paste into a fresh email!

Old 21 February 2011, 08:35 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I never use the Urgent feature . If it is that important I follow up the email by a call and if it is very urgent then I send it like this

URGENT - PLEASE FIND ATTACHED A LINK TO GET FREE MONEY

and then dont attach anything
Old 21 February 2011, 08:40 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I've Just checked an automatic reply from professional contact. In fact, I usually delete automatic "out of office" replies, too. That's because I am not interested in people's holidays. I'd rather know when they are at work. I checked this person's automated response for no apparent reason, perhaps by mistake. To my no surprise, I found it bizarre like a few others; a few of the ones that I end up opening for a reason, or by mistake. I know that it is too late "out of office" time, and not many "roundtheclocks" like me are sending out/checking work emails at this hour of night. Anyhow, the issue is, why don't some people update their "out of office" automatic messages? The automated response I have just received reads: "I am currently out of office. I should be back to work on 04/05/2010. Please ring ********** if urgent." How can some one be back at work again in past date FFS? what a plonker! I will set my "out of office" automatic reply in 1920s, just for revenge, and leave it activated all times, even when I am working.
Old 21 February 2011, 08:44 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

e-mail do not **** swati off
Old 21 February 2011, 08:46 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bloody office monkeys always moaning
Old 21 February 2011, 08:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
e-mail do not **** swati off
Yes, you tell them, Jimbo.
Old 21 February 2011, 09:12 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

***************PLEASE READ*****************

no, **** off
Old 21 February 2011, 09:26 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Some basic time management principles....

* Important = activities that have an outcome leading to the achievement of your goals.
* Urgent = activities demanding immediate attention, often associated with the achievement of someone else's goals.

Important wins every time!!!!
Old 21 February 2011, 09:34 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Some basic time management principles....

* Important = activities that have an outcome leading to the achievement of your goals.
* Urgent = activities demanding immediate attention, often associated with the achievement of someone else's goals.

Important wins every time!!!!
Very true.
Old 21 February 2011, 09:37 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

email, especially external is not a guaranteed service. If people have something important to be done then they should use the tellingbone. (Phone)
Old 21 February 2011, 09:43 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Coudnt care less about what status they give the mail, upon opening or reading quickly I will summise whether its valid to get an immediate reply. What does **** me off is people who spend time writing an email which there is no need for a formal documented response rather than getting up and walking the 20 feet across the room to ask face to face - probably quicker than the time they take to type. Is everyone looking to hide behind a PC these days?
Old 21 February 2011, 10:08 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

rule #1 delete any email that you have been CC'd: on as there is no action for you..
Old 21 February 2011, 10:40 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
rule #1 delete any email that you have been CC'd: on as there is no action for you..
Absolutely I have a rule for this actually
Old 21 February 2011, 10:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sandyRS16i
Coudnt care less about what status they give the mail, upon opening or reading quickly I will summise whether its valid to get an immediate reply. What does **** me off is people who spend time writing an email which there is no need for a formal documented response rather than getting up and walking the 20 feet across the room to ask face to face - probably quicker than the time they take to type. Is everyone looking to hide behind a PC these days?
Yes, valid point. I do understand that even some "not so important" things are better circulated to everyone e.g. everchanging office rota etc. in a medium size office with 10+ people or bigger. Otherwise, you could spend all day going around, asking each and every one of them who can be @rsed to go out and buy biscuits with petty cash. Emails are also very helpful in keeping an evidence of important communication. One can't tape conversations without other party's consent, but one can at least keep his/her own outgoing email with important message as an evidence, even in the lack of response. However, sending an email out to the person sitting 2 desks away from you about something as stupid as if he wants 2 sugars in his coffee is just reddiculous!

I sit miles away from my main office, thank God! Not into bitchy and gossipy office culture. I get daft group emails about office rota e.g. "Can one of you buy fresh skimmed milk this week?" I answer "Yeah, sure! I shall bring it with me when I visit next month." Daft people!

The other thing that's weird is XX= kisses in work emails. That surely is a wind up. Who in right mind would send kisses in work emails, man? You just don't do it!

Last edited by Turbohot; 21 February 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 21 February 2011, 10:53 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

rule #2 when thanking the original emailer don't CC everyone else in the email chain.
Old 21 February 2011, 11:30 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Just reply:

A lack of planning or ineptitude on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

or:

Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.

Last edited by legb4rsk; 21 February 2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 21 February 2011, 11:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
People seem to have the lost the ability to get off their ***** and speak with someone or pickup the phone.
Old 22 February 2011, 12:13 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

I like the fact u liked my comment Moley, but when I called you last time, I couldn't get hold of you for days I'm kidding I know you are super busy... *cough
Old 22 February 2011, 08:09 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
rule #2 when thanking the original emailer don't CC everyone else in the email chain.

Rule 3: when working for a company with >35,000 employees don't send a personal email to a friend and accidentally include the ALL_******_Group mailgroup.

Rule 4: When replying to an email, make sure you WANT to reply to all. See Rule 3.

Rule 5. FOR GOD'S SAKE YOU ARE SENDING YOUR EMAILS TO THE WHOLE OF THE BLOODY COMPANY YOU DAFT MARE!

Yes this did happen and only stopped when a manager in my office took pity and privately emailed her.
Old 22 February 2011, 08:44 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Just reply:

A lack of planning or ineptitude on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

or:

Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.
OH I think I'm going to use the first one as have a few people that really do think that their emails or them sending an email is more important than anything eles, so important that they often get up and find me as I dont spend much time at my desk and come and tell me that they have sent me an email !

The "thats nice" comment does not seem to be getting through to them.

Richard
Old 22 February 2011, 09:06 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
but are quite useful when you get them back stating "Deleted, Unread". comes in handy at briefing meetings when senior managers have been asked for responses and are then button holed by chief exec when i state that the email was ignored. it called covering your a$$
Old 22 February 2011, 10:04 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
Absolutely I have a rule for this actually

Do you not need to keep up with things? I work in IT faults, so I need to read all the emails I'm copied into or I might miss something important that someone else is fixing.

Originally Posted by bigsinky
but are quite useful when you get them back stating "Deleted, Unread". comes in handy at briefing meetings when senior managers have been asked for responses and are then button holed by chief exec when i state that the email was ignored. it called covering your a$$
Belittling your senior managers is never a smart move.

Quick Reply: People in the office who put URGENT in their emails