Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

L!bya

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2011, 01:39 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation L!bya

I'm in Libya at the moment (was working on a rig) but this morning was evacuated back to my company's compound in the desert to await evacuation to somewhere (not sure).

But I/we are stuck in the compound now because my company could not get civil aviation to authorise a bloody flight to allow us to GTFO. Told it should be tomorrow now.

What is not great is we have had guys in fatigues and tracksuits - armed with AK's - come into our compound and start taking vehicles, fuel, all sorts, they have not threatened anyone but strut about like they mean business. No idea who they are, they have no rank or other designations I can make out.

I fully expect them - or someone else - to come back tonight and take/demand more stuff.

It's not particularly comfortable here - especially being an expat, even though we are 100's of KM's from Tripoli and Bengazi. I have not seen that much news because the internet has been blocked, but looks like it is kicking off.

Hopefully out of here soon and not coming back!
Old 21 February 2011, 01:45 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Can you not take the aks from them ? shoot at will ?
Old 21 February 2011, 01:45 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, sounds bad from what I've heard on the radio. Hopefully you'll be out of there as soon as pos.

As I said in another thread, there was a recording on the radio of a phone call between a reporter and someone over there near the protests. You could hear gunshots and the arab guy on the other end of the phone was saying they were just letting rip on civilians. He sounded quite distressed (as you would expect!).

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 21 February 2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 21 February 2011, 01:50 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Tracksuits and AK's are you in Liverpool?

Hope you get back ok
Old 21 February 2011, 01:53 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I'm in Libya at the moment (was working on a rig) but this morning was evacuated back to my company's compound in the desert to await evacuation to somewhere (not sure).

But I/we are stuck in the compound now because my company could not get civil aviation to authorise a bloody flight to allow us to GTFO. Told it should be tomorrow now.

What is not great is we have had guys in fatigues and tracksuits - armed with AK's - come into our compound and start taking vehicles, fuel, all sorts, they have not threatened anyone but strut about like they mean business. No idea who they are, they have no rank or other designations I can make out.

I fully expect them - or someone else - to come back tonight and take/demand more stuff.

It's not particularly comfortable here - especially being an expat, even though we are 100's of KM's from Tripoli and Bengazi. I have not seen that much news because the internet has been blocked, but looks like it is kicking off.

Good luck, keep safe.

I would have thought you would be better off back out on a rig in the middle of the Med rather than where you are at the moment, less people likely to turn up...

At least your internet works, so you can browse SN
Old 21 February 2011, 01:58 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

A couple of news stories...

Oil majors stall Libya drilling as crisis continues
Monday, 21st February 2011
ENERGY
HARRY BANKS

Oil and gas companies have evacuated staff and suspended drilling preparations in Libya as violence spreads across the north African country.

Norway's Statoil, Austria's OMV and Royal Dutch Shell have moved some staff as scores of anti-government protesters were killed in the country's second-biggest city, Benghazi, and unrest spread to the capital Tripoli over the weekend.

Production at the Murzaq oil field run by Spain's Repsol has been unaffected so far, as has output from Eni's operations.

But UK oil major BP, which does not produce oil or gas in Libya but has been readying an onshore rig to start drilling for it in the west of the country, has suspended operations because of the escalating violence.

"We are looking at evacuating some people from Libya, so those preparations are being suspended but we haven't started drilling and we are years away from any production," a BP spokesman said, adding BP has about 40 staff in the country.

Royal Dutch Shell, whose operations in Libya are also limited to exploration, has temporarily relocated the dependents of expatriate staff outside the country, a spokesman for the Anglo-Dutch energy giant said, declining to comment further on operations.

Austrian oil and gas group OMV said none of its operations in Libya have been affected but that it was withdrawing expatriate staff.

Statoil, which participates in land-based oil production and exploration activities in the Mabruk field and in the Murzuk basin with Spain's Repsol, has closed its office in Tripoli and "a handful" of its foreign workers are leaving the country, a Statoil spokesman said.

Oil production from the isolated Murzuq oil field in the desert in the south of the country continues as normal, a spokesman for operator Repsol said on Monday.

Al Jazeera television reported on Monday that production from the Arabian Gulf Oil Company Nafoora oilfield had stopped because workers are striking, as violent unrest spread across the country which produces over one million barrels of oil a day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking News

2:01pm UK, Monday February 21, 2011
Libya: Violent Protests Paralyse Tripoli

o Share
* Comments (34)

Alex Rossi, in Cairo, and Natalie Fahy
Violent protests have paralysed Libya's capital city Tripoli, as cracks begin to emerge from within the ruling elite.

Anti-government protesters have reportedly ransacked the state television headquarters and set the central government building and a police station on fire.

Several other public buildings are also ablaze according to unverified reports coming from the city.

Snipers opened fire on protesters overnight, according to witnesses, while supporters of Colonel Gaddafi shot from speeding vehicles.

Other witnesses said protesters moved into Tripoli's Green Square last night, and were then attacked by plainclothes security forces and militiamen in clashes that lasted until dawn.

The latest wave of violence comes amid reports of an increasing number of fatalities, and fierce crackdowns by security forces.

Media has been banned from the country, making reporting the unrest difficult. Internet and phone connections in Libya are also sporadic, but some activists have managed to post updates on social media sites.

Colonel Gaddafi's son has spoken out against the protests, insisting his father is still in charge of Libya.

During an unscripted and seemingly threatening speech on state television, Saif Gaddafi said his father would fight "until the last man, the last woman, the last bullet".

Saif Gaddafi Speaks Out Against Protests

In the regime's first comments on the anti-government unrest, he warned the protesters they risked igniting a civil war in which Libya's oil wealth would be burned.

Cracks from within the ruling elite have begun to emerge, however.

Mohamed Bayou, who was chief government spokesman until a month ago, said the leadership was wrong to threaten violence against its opponents and called on Saif Gaddafi to start talks with the opposition.

"I hope that he will ... change his speech to acknowledge the existence of an internal popular opposition, to enter into dialogue with them regarding thorough changes in the Libyan system."

The Warfalah Tribe, one of the country's largest, have also spoken out, announcing their allegiance with protesters.

In a statement from tribal elders, the group denounced "the hideous crimes of Gaddafi and his regime".

"[We] call upon all our brave sons and daughters, throughout Libya, to fully rebel against this enemy of God and his regime who murdered their own people in cold blood," the statement added.

All the security forces have surrendered or joined the protesters, the only city left is Tripoli.

Anti-government protester, Khaleel Suwelhi

Security forces are now said to be operating a "shoot to kill" policy, using high velocity live ammunition on unarmed protesters.

Medical officials, human rights groups and exiled dissidents say hundreds of people have been killed since the unrest began about a week ago.

A doctor working in Benghazi's general hospital, Dr Ahmed, told Sky News the fatalities there were now near 300.

Anti-government protester Khaleel Suwelhi, in Tripoli, said that the capital city was now the main battleground.

"Most cities have been overwhelmed by protesters.

"All the security forces have surrendered or joined the protesters, the only city left is Tripoli and there were many clashes there yesterday night."

LS-Libya-Benghazi-Flag-Poles

People climb flag poles in front of the internal security headquarters in Benghazi

The protesters will take it to the end. We have a statement, which we keep saying: 'We will either die or win'.

Ahmed, Libyan Youth Movement

An activist with the Libyan Youth Movement, who only wanted to be named as Ahmed, told Sky News that protesters were willing to either "die or win".

"We have had enough of oppression, injustice, corruption and brutality.

"These protests are happening across the country, they are huge, but obviously we do not have any media coverage inside so you are not able to see [all that is happening]."

He alleged that African mercenaries had been drafted in by Colonel Gaddafi, adding: "I have spoken to some of my relatives in the country and they are saying that those African mercenaries are going into the hospitals and killing those who are there.

"The protesters will take it to the end. We have a statement, which we keep saying: 'We will either die or win'.

"There is no going back because we have seen the brutality of this regime."

Last updated: 2011-02-21 13:01:36

The Spread Of Protests In Libya

View Libya Protests in a larger map

Hundreds of armed Libyans also stormed a South Korean-run construction site in the capital last night, sparking a clash in which at least 18 foreigners were hurt.

A total of 15 Bangladeshis were hurt - two of them stabbed and in a serious condition. Three South Koreans were also injured.

The response by the Libyan regime to the protests has been the harshest among the various Arab countries where political demonstrations have sprung up.

We are not Tunisia and Egypt. Moammar Gaddafi, our leader, is leading the battle in Tripoli, and we are with him. This is not the Tunisian or Egyptian army.

Seif al-Islam Gaddafi

Saif Gaddafi said: "We are not Tunisia and Egypt. Moammar Gaddafi, our leader, is leading the battle in Tripoli, and we are with him.

"The armed forces are with him. Tens of thousands are heading here to be with him. We will fight until the last man, the last woman, the last bullet.

"This is not the Tunisian or Egyptian army."

Although there was no statement from the elder Gaddafi - who has run the country for 41 years - his son has often been put forward as the regime's face of reform.

The coffins of protesters are carried through the streets

Coffins of protesters are carried through the streets. Photo: Flickr a7fadhomar

He conceded the army had made mistakes but insisted the number of deaths had been exaggerated, putting the number of dead at 84.

However, his speech showed how rattled the leadership were feeling, and he appeared at times incoherent and contradictory.

Now that protests have hit Tripoli, Gaddafi's power base, he will be feeling the pressure.

L-Libya-London-Embassy-Protest

Protesters have been voicing their anger outside the Libyan Embassy in London

But it is difficult to see where Gaddafi would be able to seek exile abroad - making it even more likely that the regime will fight until the last man standing.

The violence has also prompted BP to indicate it was making preparations to evacuate some staff from the country.

The company said they would be evacuating families and non-essential staff over the next couple of days, although there have been no reports so far of staff being targeted.

Most of BP's 140 employees in Libya are based in Tripoli.

Dependents of British Embassy staff in Tripoli are also now leaving the country, but the Embassy is still open.

The British Foreign Office has also said it was summoning Libya's ambassador to condemn the use of lethal force against demonstrators.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague was among a number of Western leaders who expressed concern at the violence.

He said he spoke to Saif Gaddafi by phone and told him the country must "embark on dialogue and implement reforms".

"The credibility of the Libyan government in these matters has been undermined so far by the failure to protect their own people and to respond to the legitimate grievances of the people in Libya," he added.

The British government has also revoked eight arms export licences to Libya.

Protesters have also been gathering outside the Libyan Embassy in London to voice their anger at events.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how much you can get access to if you say the internet is blocked.

This may be of interest too -
:: British citizens in Libya who need help or advice are urged to call 00218 21 335 1084. From the UK, the number to call for advice is 020 7008 1500.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 21 February 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 21 February 2011, 02:00 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

:: British citizens in Libya who need help or advice are urged to call 00218 21 335 1084. From the UK, the number to call for advice is 020 7008 1500.

That would just do>>>> not all that crap above it ffs
Old 21 February 2011, 02:01 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

What is not great is we have had guys in fatigues and tracksuits - armed with AK's
You need to stop w@nking playing havoc with your eyes
Old 21 February 2011, 02:02 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Nice delete Jamie
Old 21 February 2011, 02:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Which oil co. was it btw ,
Old 21 February 2011, 02:06 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Keep your head down Tony.
Old 21 February 2011, 02:08 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Mercs to me. Reckon you should keep your head down until you're evacuated.
Old 21 February 2011, 02:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought he mainly had his head in the sand !

Last edited by dpb; 21 February 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 21 February 2011, 02:18 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie

That would just do>>>> not all that crap above it ffs
Touchy today?

Perhaps TdW has not got much access to news in a totalitarian state, so the above information would be of use to him in keeping him informed.
Old 21 February 2011, 02:26 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

F1_Fan and DCI have been quiet today you sure it's not them looking for you?
Old 21 February 2011, 02:31 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

Good luck.
Old 21 February 2011, 02:56 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Touchy today?

Perhaps TdW has not got much access to news in a totalitarian state, so the above information would be of use to him in keeping him informed.

No not at all now fek off

Old 21 February 2011, 02:58 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by antc
F1_Fan and DCI have been quiet today you sure it's not them looking for you?

antc you are like one of them ginger kids i use to smack about the face very annoying
Old 21 February 2011, 03:09 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

TDW, Good luck, hope you make it back safely.
Old 21 February 2011, 03:17 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
antc you are like one of them ginger kids i use to smack about the face very annoying
Ditto remind of the miserable b4astards I have to deal with everyday.
Old 21 February 2011, 03:35 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

No need for that i am sure she is nice
Old 21 February 2011, 06:59 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Keep your head down Tony.... hope you get back safe and soon
Old 22 February 2011, 02:47 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

My company are trying to get a flight sorted out today but the problem is getting permision from the civil aviation authority, apparently there is talk of airstrikes and they want to free up air space for their (the regimes) jets to fly in or something?

Had the base alarm go off last night because some looters? or somone was in a nearby compound/base taking vehicles.

Need to GTFO.
Old 22 February 2011, 03:03 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Do you not have guards?
Old 22 February 2011, 07:38 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a difficult thread. Does one say what first comes to mind, or should one be more charitable to ones fellow man even if he is a **** jockey?
Old 22 February 2011, 09:33 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
This is a difficult thread. Does one say what first comes to mind, or should one be more charitable to ones fellow man even if he is a **** jockey?
There is probably no one who has sparred with TdW more than I, but I wouldn't wish this situation on him or anyone come to that. Let's hope he and his colleagues get out of there very soon.
Old 22 February 2011, 10:14 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Allegedly two Libyan Migs have flown to Malta to defect due to being ordered to undertake strike operations against innocent civilians/those who dare to protest.

IF that is true then this is going to be the worst consequences so far out of all the recent attempted regime changes in the Middle East and North Africa.

It's about time someone got rid of Gaddafi permanently. Does anyone else's p!ss boil when you see on TV previous video clips of Gaddafi smiling and laughing with Tony Blair and Obama? He has been allowed to get away with murder purely for oil and natural gas deals.
Hope that is true about the jets, and yes it boils my p*ss, he needs sorted out.
Old 22 February 2011, 10:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************

It's about time someone got rid of Gaddafi permanently. Does anyone else's p!ss boil when you see on TV previous video clips of Gaddafi smiling and laughing with Tony Blair and Obama? He has been allowed to get away with murder purely for oil and natural gas deals.
I couldn't agree more BUT the fact is that Blair managed to persuade/bribe him into stopping supplying arms to the IRA and developing weapons of mass destruction thus bringing Libya back into the international arena. Later paving the way for things like the BP contract.

dl

Quick Reply: L!bya