Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile phones - trying before you "buy". Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2011, 11:35 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile phones - trying before you "buy". Possible?

Got a rough idea what the answer will be

I'm looking at offloading this POS of an iphone (there: I've said it!!! AND I'm a major Apple-user too). There's just too many limitations for what I want out of a smart-phone.

My contract is due up relatively soon, and I was toying with a conversion to the "dark-side" - Blackberry. A Torch.
FWIW, I can try the Android stuff, as Wifey has one - I can mess with her phone until I'm blue in the face!!
And I have. My conclusion is a great idea, but it seems like a collection of apps, rather than a cohesive OS.

Anyhoo, digression. I have no issues with signing up to a new contract, and don't mind paying for the phone as part of that contract..... but only if it's the right phone for me.

So, is there any way of trying a mobile prior to commiting to the contract? I know that some phone providers give you the option of returning the phone during a usual 2-week period, but that is just the phone, not the contract. I want to keep my options open.

Is it possible (before I call O2 and get laughed at) to try a phone on your old contract prior to making the jump?

I don't even mind paying a deposit/hire charge - only fair as these handsets aren't cheap.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 13 February 2011, 11:40 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You'll be majorly disappointed with the torch , if I was to get rid of my iPhone I'd go for a htc or the new galaxy s 2 that's about to cone out this year
Old 13 February 2011, 12:15 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Try before you buy is usually possible with a new contract or renewal. Usually getting a cooling off period of 7 days to return.

Ant, I disagree, depends what he wants from a phone really, because you don't like it, he might love it. By all accounts thousands do.

Although that said, I would not get one as they just aint my thing.
Old 13 February 2011, 12:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Blackberry are bringing out out some models with improved hardware specs. I'd avoid the torch for that reason as it will be 'old' very soon
Agreed, torch 2 will have a 1.2ghz processor etc so even if i got a torch it would not be til the new one was out.
Curve touch is coming, storm 3 which is much changed, or my favourite the Bold Touch
Old 13 February 2011, 12:26 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Try before you buy is usually possible with a new contract or renewal. Usually getting a cooling off period of 7 days to return.

Ant, I disagree, depends what he wants from a phone really, because you don't like it, he might love it. By all accounts thousands do.

Although that said, I would not get one as they just aint my thing.
He's moving from a iPhone to a blackberry ! He'll be dissapointed
Old 13 February 2011, 12:32 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Can you not just pop into a carphone warehouse and have a play albeit you will only play for half an hour or so but it may give you more of a direction to where you want to go?
Old 13 February 2011, 12:34 PM
kz-scoob
Scooby Regular

If you're moving on because of limitations, why not just jailbreak the phone?
Old 13 February 2011, 12:36 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

yeh - looking at holding on tbh. Said before, no issues being tied into a 2yr-commitment, but only if it's on a phone that will "last" the duration. Torch hasn't even lasted 12 months. Lot of money to waste on a phone imho.

My iPhone is a 8Gig 3G running OS4. Doesn't set the world on fire. Even less so now it's not jailbroken - even tempted to keep it: throw it in the car as a "carphone" with ipod. Got Pioneer multimedia ICE which has a rather nice ipod interface.

Or chop it in and get a knackered ipod classic 160Gb (say with a faulty screen - don't need screen in the car).

Back on topic: looking moreso at how the OS works on the Berry, and I don't think that the phone-provider's 7 day is long enough to get to live with an OS....

Seems like a missed opportunity on the phone manufacturers' aspect. Even a VR version on their website, say with free (limited) texting, as this aside from phone calls, seems to be the next most popular feature...... You'd still need to get "hands on" for feel/tactility etc, but it would also get around that whole "fumbling around the OS" when you look at a phone in a shop. Plus the phone monkeys can leave you alone for a bit!!
Just an idea.....
Old 13 February 2011, 12:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Jailbreak is an option on OS4, but issues such as additional storage (on memory card) aren't.

Also moving on because in all fairness, I think I'm bored of the Apple OS. Bits of it are clunky (I appreciate that *some* of that will be down to my 3G phone).
Don't want iphone 4 - I don't actually like the styling. (won't even start on the desgin "issues")

Not going to turn this into an iPhone-bashing thread!!!
JackClark & F1 Fan - you hear me?!

It is a good phone, but I just think it's time for me to move on. I've grown out of it, I think. (Did the same with the Scoobs)

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 13 February 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 13 February 2011, 12:46 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

What limitations?

I'm hardly pro Apple but the 3G is what nearly 3 years old?
Old 13 February 2011, 12:46 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

the new samsung galaxy s is 1ghz dual core

ull high resolution press image of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S2 (or Galaxy S II) has been leaked in the wild. The new Galaxy S II is said to be just 8.49mm thick, and it weighs around 116g. It packs 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus display, 1Ghz Dual Core CPU, Android 2.3 Gingerbread, HSPA+, Bluetooth, WiFi 802.11b/g/n and more.
Old 13 February 2011, 01:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Not going to turn this into an iPhone-bashing thread!!!
JackClark & F1 Fan - you hear me?!
Loud and clear I agree with everything you say, my 3GS lasted 3 months before I went back to the Nokia 6310 as it could actually make calls and tell me when a text had been delivered to the recipient!
Old 13 February 2011, 01:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You won't hear me bashing any thing. You're right, a 3 year old iPhone will feel a bit tired and if you don't like the styling of the iPhone 4 then move on or wait. I can't fathom how you feel the Blackberry will give you more freedom, but each to their own.
Old 13 February 2011, 01:30 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

iv been asking the same question to alot of phone shops round me and the answer is no if you go to a store and look at the phone and decide you want it take the contract out and next day dont want it they dont even give you the severn days cooling of anymore once you take it from the shop your stuck with because you tried the phone in the shop,

but was told by many of the shops if you order on line you have the 14 days cooling of period because your buying a phone with out trying it stupid i know but also taking a contract out and the canciling it a few time till you find the right phone may affect your credit rating
Old 13 February 2011, 01:45 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The whole Blackberry issue is moreso that it's the one phone OS, I'm not overly au fait with (well, and Windows Phone 7 or whatever it's called).

Agreed, my iphone is circa 3 yrs old. Hardware aside, the OS is the latest one.

To tip the scales, I may find that the phone and freedom I want (to mess with ALL of my phone, not just the bits that service-provider/manufacturer wants me to) doesn't actually exist.
The Berry may not be the phone for me.
The Android-whatever may not be the phone for me.
The *current* Apple may not be the phone for me - iPhone 5 might be.

In all fairness I think my MAIN issue with the iphone is that the X-millions of units sold, Apple has created a usergroup of clones. Once you've seen one iphone, you've seen em all. I've bleated on about the text alerts before - this to me, is quite an important feature - as part of MY individuality.
It would be nice to utilise attachments with the email client.....
That said, it IS a good device that combines a great many useful aspects into one point. And that has been useful. And the user-interface (screen) is sublime. Simply brilliant - this they HAVE got spot on (imho)

I don't know. But I'd be a fool not to explore ALL options before jumping in. And a costly mistake if you get it wrong (imho)
Old 13 February 2011, 01:58 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Borrow a Blackberry if you can, personally I was pleased when mine was stolen, it really is a dire operating system on cheap feeling hardware.

If I was to change right now I' get a Win 7 phone, MS will update it soon to add a few missing features just as Apple did. Saying that I'm not sure it plays too well with Mac's.
Old 13 February 2011, 02:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Back on topic: looking moreso at how the OS works on the Berry, and I don't think that the phone-provider's 7 day is long enough to get to live with an OS....

I have to agree, with any phone it's hard to get to grips with, and decide if it's you in 7 days. But I can say from the 6 OS it's quite straight forward, customisable and fairly natural to use. But that's coming from someone who has used a berry for a few years. That said 6 is somewhat different to the older OS's and I would think probably more user friendly.
Old 13 February 2011, 02:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I've bleated on about the text alerts before - this to me, is quite an important feature - as part of MY individuality.
Infuriating isn't it? I am so with you on this!

From your posts I really think you need to try and find an outlet or provider that will genuinely let you try one properly as I suspect the phone for you may not exist yet. I went barrelling in to iPhone ownership believing all the hype of the press and people on here only to find it didn't work for me.

Ignore subjective and unhelpful comments like the Blackberry is dire as none of these phones are dire, they are just different and you need to try and find out what one suits you best. I have two friends who swear by their Balckberrys and two more who couldn't get on with them... horses for course!
Old 13 February 2011, 03:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

Ignore subjective and unhelpful comments like the Blackberry is dire as none of these phones are dire, they are just different and you need to try and find out what one suits you best. I have two friends who swear by their Balckberrys and two more who couldn't get on with them... horses for course!

Totally agree. Could find that phone for you is none of the above.
I think the 7 day cooling off period is about as good as you are going to find really to get to grips. Technically there is no limit to how many you can try, but you will find yourself paying the return special delivery postage on each.

I think the way most manufacturers operate nowadays the OS will begin to feel natural on any handset using that OS.
Once you like the basic OS of the phone, then start to look at specific handsets that suit your purpose.

For me, I avoid the Torch after trying one because I don't like touch screens and still don't even on a Blackberry.

Good luck finding something that suits you.

Only other thing I can think of is a mobile phone rental, but that would probably work out rather expensive.