Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fuel duty regulator and the EU

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2011, 04:33 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel duty regulator and the EU

Did you know that if the governemnt decide to implement either a fuel duty regulator to keep duty down when the oil price is high or to offer less duty in rural areas thereby bringing the cost of fuel down in comunities where people drive further than they do in urban areas that it qualifies as state aid and therefore has to be ratified by the EU

Why the hell should what we do with our taxes and fuel prices have anything to do with them?
Old 07 February 2011, 04:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But if we had ANY ***** at ALL, we would say fine and do it anyway.

Here's an example:
In France, since 2000 or so, the French government have been levying TVA, (their VAT), at 5.5% on all renovations so long as they are carried out by a French registered worker. He can be English etc, but must be registered to work over there.
The TVA includes any materials bought in by said worker. It meant that when we had all our windows/doors replaced, it was only €5 EXTRA for someone to do it for me, than to do it myself, (HE paid 5.5% TVA, I would have paid 19.6%).

Now the EC have been telling France that this is illegal EVERY YEAR since it's inception. The French government response is to say, "Oh yes, sorry, it will be chnaged next year."

It's still on.

It benefits France, it benefits the local areas and their workers. The French government agree with the EC, then ignore them.

What it all comes down to is this:

GROW A SET, UK GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07 February 2011, 05:16 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Here's an example:
In France, since 2000 or so, the French government have been levying TVA, (their VAT), at 5.5% on all renovations so long as they are carried out by a French registered worker. He can be English etc, but must be registered to work over there.
The TVA includes any materials bought in by said worker. It meant that when we had all our windows/doors replaced, it was only €5 EXTRA for someone to do it for me, than to do it myself, (HE paid 5.5% TVA, I would have paid 19.6%).

Now the EC have been telling France that this is illegal EVERY YEAR since it's inception. The French government response is to say, "Oh yes, sorry, it will be chnaged next year."

It's still on.

It benefits France, it benefits the local areas and their workers. The French government agree with the EC, then ignore them.

+1 Trouble is they will use this as the excuse as to why they cannot do it.
Old 07 February 2011, 05:41 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Here's an example:

It's still on.

It's the same with the French chucking out Gypsies. The EU froths about human rights but the French do it regardless.
Old 07 February 2011, 05:50 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

This is why the EU will never work - there is too much of a difference in cultural approach to rules and regulations. The anglo-saxon approach is to gold-plate and police rigidly, the gallic/mediterranean approach is much more relaxed.

It seems like most of the EU legislators think they are operating in the gallic tradition, so it is our (and germany's) anglo saxon approach that is out of kilter. I'm sure our civil service just loves all the regulations coming out of Europe!
Old 07 February 2011, 07:26 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

The EU ruled that the so called "golden share" that meant strategic infrastructure assets could not be sold to foreign ownership was illegal. Our Govt said, "Ooops soory about that" and gave up the shares. Asset like our airports are now foreign owned. The French and Germans said "up yours Delors" and still own these strategic assets.

Our Govt, of all colours, are populated by wimps.
Old 07 February 2011, 11:07 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I suspect the handing over of powers and obeying EU law is part of the idea of creating a European superstate and the small minority who run the civil service are pro europe and if your not like that you cant get promotion to a senior level in the Civil Service.

As to growing a pair just do what our parliament wants and if they take us to court just ignore them and refuse to pay the fine, what they going to do? we pay a massive contribution into the EU slush fund to be goven to countries like Greece where it is "lost".

Any fine they take we just cut out of our next contribution payment eventually they will realise they cant win.
Old 07 February 2011, 11:50 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Something puzzles me about this EU milarky.
How come other Countries, part of the EU, ignore what does not suit them.
Good old Blighty does what it is told, without question, no matter who it upsets.
The will of the people matters not to our government, as long as the EU is happy.
Well, that's the way it looks to me.
Old 08 February 2011, 12:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

If I'm in cynic mode, Lee, which my friends will tell you I generally am, I'd say it was because of TWO things.
Firstly, successive governments WANT the electorate to hate Europe so we never have to fully integrate and they can constantly hold the threat of leaving, over the EC.
Secondly, successive governments need someone else to blame and, "oh look, that nasty EC has forced us to do this now............."

How many folk in the UK actually KNOW that other member states ignore anything that doesn't benefit them?

Oh, and of course, under Lying Labour, the more rules you enforce, the more bureaucrats you need to enforce them = more people working for, and owing livelihood to, Labour.
Old 08 February 2011, 02:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is long past time when we had a real leader as we did have once who is prepared to stand up to them and tell them that we will run our own affairs thank you!

The bunch we have had in recent years are a disgrace to this country in the way they have betrayed us. What is their motive I wonder?

Les
Old 08 February 2011, 03:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Did we EVER have one who stood up for this country?

Thatcher made it LOOK like we did, but EVERY PENNY of the so-called rebate we got was knocked off what else we might have had from the EC, which is why the other members have so much infrastructure attributable to the EC and we have virtually none.

OUR lot kept the money and wasted it keeping people out of work and on benefits. HER government started THAT little scam.
Old 08 February 2011, 06:05 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and of course, under Lying Labour, the more rules you enforce, the more bureaucrats you need to enforce them = more people working for, and owing livelihood to, Labour.
I think your friends may be right
As indeed you are!
Old 09 February 2011, 09:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Did we EVER have one who stood up for this country?

Thatcher made it LOOK like we did, but EVERY PENNY of the so-called rebate we got was knocked off what else we might have had from the EC, which is why the other members have so much infrastructure attributable to the EC and we have virtually none.

OUR lot kept the money and wasted it keeping people out of work and on benefits. HER government started THAT little scam.

At least she was prepared to take a swing at them with her handbag which is a lot more than this modern bunch of weaklings will do.

I seem to remember that Billy Liar gave the rebate back anyway, or most of it!

Les