Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Middle East Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2011, 07:04 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Middle East Thread

Well according to the DM the Middle East is about to implode.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...no-effect.html

What effect, if anything, do you think this going to have on the price of oil? Will our petrol prices increase.

Discuss.
Old 03 February 2011, 07:37 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Well according to the DM the Middle East is about to implode.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...no-effect.html

What effect, if anything, do you think this going to have on the price of oil? Will our petrol prices increase.

Discuss.
That's what you want to discuss, is it? As people are dying in the streets you want to know how much impact this will have on filling up your noisy chav chariot!
Old 03 February 2011, 07:42 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JTaylor
That's what you want to discuss, is it? As people are dying in the streets you want to know how much impact this will have on filling up your noisy chav chariot!
That's what you want to discuss, is it? As African men, women and children are starving to death and dying of aids related complications you're more interested in mob violence!

Shame on you...
Old 03 February 2011, 07:45 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This always seems to happen when strong governments/dictators in the region ease power... chaos ensues.

The Daily Mail could be exaggerating a bit. From other stuff I've read, people don't seem to be that worried about it spreading to the oil-rich countries in a big way.
Old 03 February 2011, 07:52 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
That's what you want to discuss, is it? As African men, women and children are starving to death and dying of aids related complications you're more interested in mob violence!

Shame on you...
Does an alarm go off eveytime I post or something? Lol, it's like having a little child following me around coming up with misplaced irrelevances and thinking they're terribly clever. You and Tweedledum have been stalking me for some time now. It's odd. Really odd.

Last edited by JTaylor; 03 February 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:00 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It's odd. Really odd.
It is isn't it ..... it's like your posts are so utterly ****e that I can't help but post.....
Old 03 February 2011, 08:05 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
This always seems to happen when strong governments/dictators in the region ease power... chaos ensues.

The Daily Mail could be exaggerating a bit. From other stuff I've read, people don't seem to be that worried about it spreading to the oil-rich countries in a big way.
yes I understand the DM is a **** rag and enjoys the sensationalism, it's what sells papers, and while i have every sympathy with those caught up in the violence per Mr Taylor et al, they are so far away, so remote, and being the shallow, paranoid individual that i am, I am only concerned with my plight.

maybe they will now know how i felt growing up in belfast in the early 70s

Last edited by bigsinky; 03 February 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:05 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

...and with boundles hypocrisy many on the left who are now rejoicing in Murbarak being almost run out of office, were only recently praising Saddam for 'stability' and attacking America for removing him.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:07 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

It is isn't it ..... it's like your posts are so utterly ****e that I can't help but post.....
You say that, but you and Tweedledum seem to be fixated with me. f1_fan is absolutely infatuated, bless 'im! It's flattering in a way, I suppose, although it does rather remind me of that Eminem track, Stan.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:07 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

At least it's honest though, the opposite is alienation where conflicts 1000's of miles away are presented and seen as front and centre in your daily political life. The middle East and Islamic world is like that about Israel-Palestine.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:11 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It's flattering in a way, I suppose, although it does rather remind me of that Eminem track, Stan.
Never heard of it... hang on, isn't that the one with "Dido".... JTaylor - Dido fan

Now back to business... what about that camel charge at what point did some mobster go... "Oi Mustaf, I've just had a fantastic idea.. you know that film 'Charge of the Light Brigade'.... well...."
Old 03 February 2011, 08:12 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

yes I understand the DM is a **** rag and enjoys the sensationalism, it's what sells papers, and while i have every sympathy with those caught up in the violence per Mr Taylor et al, they are so far away, so remote, and being the shallow, paranoid individual that i am, I am only concerned with my plight.

A couple of days without oil and we'd end up worse than them anyway. Must have been mad growing up in NI back then.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:35 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with that ( except substitute Belfast for Nottingham ).

When times REALLY hit hard here and there's anarchy on our streets, will any other country in the world REALLY give a $hit about us?

Nope.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:40 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
At least it's honest though, the opposite is alienation where conflicts 1000's of miles away are presented and seen as front and centre in your daily political life. The middle East and I****ic world is like that about Israel-Palestine.
"As for the 'caring', I think that sympathy or empathy without effective action is self-indulgence. And I believe that instant communications and 24-hour TV have made this sort of indulgence very common. And I think it is largely false. It's not that those who emote about the current far-away tragedy are deliberately or consciously insincere. On the contrary, they are behaving concientiously and decently, as if the events were within their reach and influence.
It does not occur to them that this is, necessarily, a false relationship.
But it is. And that is why the feeling is necessarily a false one. The watcher is not really there. His interest did not exist before he saw these pictures, and will not long survive the replacement of this tragedy with a new one. He knows nothing of the place and the people, save what the camera shows him. In many cases the reporter who is describing it to him is in more or less the same plight."

Peter Hitchens.

Well put, I thought. Nevertheless, if one's an internationalist or actively pro-secularism, one does 'care' as one has investment in the outcome. It isn't dishonest, it's just not isolationist and insuler.

Last edited by JTaylor; 03 February 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:47 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I have to agree with that ( except substitute Belfast for Nottingham ).

When times REALLY hit hard here and there's anarchy on our streets, will any other country in the world REALLY give a $hit about us?

Nope.
Have you been to Cairo? It makes the Falls and Shankhill Rd of the 70s look like Rodeo Drive. You can't, in all seriousness, draw camparisons between the UK and Egypt.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:55 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

"As for the 'caring', I think that sympathy or empathy without effective action is self-indulgence. And I believe that instant communications and 24-hour TV have made this sort of indulgence very common. And I think it is largely false. It's not that those who emote about the current far-away tragedy are deliberately or consciously insincere. On the contrary, they are behaving concientiously and decently, as if the events were within their reach and influence.
It does not occur to them that this is, necessarily, a false relationship.
But it is. And that is why the feeling is necessarily a false one. The watcher is not really there. His interest did not exist before he saw these pictures, and will not long survive the replacement of this tragedy with a new one. He knows nothing of the place and the people, save what the camera shows him. In many cases the reporter who is describing it to him is in more or less the same plight."

Peter Hitchens.

Well put, I thought. Nevertheless, if one's an internationalist or actively pro-secularism, one does 'care' as one has investment in the outcome. It isn't dishonest, it's just not isolationist and insuler.
You sound like a politician. I really find it hard to believe that you care so much about this stuff, and that you don't just say it for the benefit of others, to get across some kind of persona that you want them to see (for whatever reason? ). So really I think it is dishonest.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:59 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Have you been to Cairo? It makes the Falls and Shankhill Rd of the 70s look like Rodeo Drive. You can't, in all seriousness, draw camparisons between the UK and Egypt.
No I haven't been and I have no intention of going.

If you think I could 'in all seriousness' compare the UK for ANY Middle East country, then you misunderstand me.

It was a flippant remark.

And I have to agree with Glesga's post above
I think you should be out there as a Peace Envoy - a bit like Terry Waite.

Last edited by zip106; 03 February 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03 February 2011, 09:01 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I really find it hard to believe that you care so much about this stuff
Maybe that exposes more about your inner workings than you planned to reveal. I do care about this 'stuff', don't you?
Old 03 February 2011, 09:01 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I worked in Egypt for several years, this has always been on the cards. Like I said in the other thread, this is being allowed to happen.... but the question is by whom and to what end...
Old 03 February 2011, 09:06 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I worked in Egypt for several years, this has always been on the cards. Like I said in the other thread, this is being allowed to happen.... but the question is by whom and to what end...
...and what do you think the answer is?
Old 03 February 2011, 10:01 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I really find it hard to believe that you care so much about this stuff, and that you don't just say it for the benefit of others, to get across some kind of persona that you want them to see (for whatever reason? ).
Old 03 February 2011, 10:19 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Morning, f1_fan.

I see you describe Egypt as: "two sets of idiots throwing stones at each other". Nice and simple, eh?
Old 03 February 2011, 10:59 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I kind of imagined holiday co share price would go down further but not much so far
Old 03 February 2011, 11:02 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

No I haven't been to Cairo but I can tell you (having seen first hand) the poverty and squalor in West Belfast enclaves like Falls, Shankill, Andytown, Poleglass et al (circa late 70s early 80s) is no different from the poverty and squalor elsewhere. People still have that feeling of utter helplessness and feel like 2nd or 3rd class citizens compared to the Bourgeois middle and upper classes living a mile down the road, so get off your moral high ground and smell the conceited, condesending, inane sh1te you're peddling.
Old 03 February 2011, 11:08 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 03 February 2011, 11:22 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
And I have to agree with Glesga's post above
I think you should be out there as a Peace Envoy - a bit like Terry Waite.

do you think he could get kidnapped for 5 years.
Old 03 February 2011, 11:24 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

No I haven't been to Cairo but I can tell you (having seen first hand) the poverty and squalor in West Belfast enclaves like Falls, Shankill, Andytown, Poleglass et al (circa late 70s early 80s) is no different from the poverty and squalor elsewhere. People still have that feeling of utter helplessness and feel like 2nd or 3rd class citizens compared to the Bourgeois middle and upper classes living a mile down the road, so get off your moral high ground and smell the conceited, condesending, inane sh1te you're peddling.
And how would you have felt if people had reduced those points of deep principle to the cost of a commodity or stone throwing? Given your first hand experience of social struggle I'm surprised you haven't shown solidarity, or, at the very least, empathy.
Old 03 February 2011, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
...and with boundles hypocrisy many on the left who are now rejoicing in Murbarak being almost run out of office, were only recently praising Saddam for 'stability' and attacking America for removing him.
This is an entirely different affair. SH was used as an excuse, even though it was illegal, to attack Iraq for the selfish purposes of those responsible.

In this case, the people have revolted since they are obviously fed up with Mubarak's style of rule. They are of course entitled to do this, it is their country and Mubarak is responsible to them in the way that he rules them. Mubarak has produced a bunch of thugs to support him and it is inevitable that people do get killed and that is a shame.

Anyone with any kind of a conscience would have stepped down in the face of the people's opinion but dictators of course don't possess such a thing as a conscience, merely the wish to maintain power at all costs. It is to be hoped that he does not continue to try to extend his rule until September thus prolonging the troubles.

It is a shame that the Iraqi's were unable to do the same thing with respect to SH, but it would be so much more difficult with the three main factions in Iraq, none of whom can stand the sight of each other.

Other world leaders should take the Egyptians' example as a warning for their own style of leadership.

Les