Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

After Weeks Of Looking We've Bought A Pram!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2011, 02:48 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Weeks Of Looking We've Bought A Pram!

Never thought buying a Pram would be such a pain in the ****. Made it worse cos we don't want to know the Sex of the baby. Anyways after weeks if looking we've gone for the new Babystyle Oyster!

It's only been around a month. Anybody got one?
Old 03 February 2011, 02:54 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's not a ridiculously stupid wide one with massive tyres?

Why oh why are prams/pushchairs getting so wide they barely fit down a normal pavement let alone get on buses, trains etc?
Old 03 February 2011, 03:02 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

Why oh why are prams/pushchairs getting so wide they barely fit down a normal pavement let alone get on buses, trains etc?
No mate. We did like some of those but the Practical side of em was rubbish. The Mrs doesn't drive so it had to be user friendly! It nearly was the ICandy or the My4. But this ones really light and folds down small and easy. Most are just a Fashion Statement and very over priced. So many of our friends bought theirs on the look of it and not how it works. Shown us the Light!

Really pleased with this one. Slim, Light, Compact and you can get colour packs too. Like having a new Pram! Comes in 4 weeks but don't need it till June so it's staying at her Mums till then. Nursery Furniture Next. Hoping to get the Kuba. Seen loads of these n all. Very Stressfull for something that's not even here yet can't wait tho
Old 03 February 2011, 08:06 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

This is type provided by Northampton Borough Council to single mums under the age of 17 and in receipt of free (to them anyway) council housing and associated benefits - you see literally 100's of them in town, all day - every day!
Old 03 February 2011, 08:11 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
This is type provided by Northampton Borough Council to single mums under the age of 17 and in receipt of free (to them anyway) council housing and associated benefits - you see literally 100's of them in town, all day - every day!
..and they are all brand new!

back when I was a kid in the 80's even middle-class parents traded second hand baby/kids stuff.

Now everyone wants to wheel a massive new buggy out of the back of their shiney new matt white Range Rover Sport.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:18 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Crazy isn't it. Some that we saw was well over £1000 when you added everything together! And there not in it that long.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:22 AM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep I was as you mr was looking at some that were really expensive. When my first daughter was born we got One from mothercare for £250 for everything Inc car seat. Now that jut about covers the car seat and base for the car haha.

We just bought a Jane slalom (or shoul I say I bought it she picked it).

Doug
Old 03 February 2011, 08:23 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Concord Neo Carbon Mobility Set 2010

The frame is manufactured from carbon, piece by piece individually by hand. The high tech material offers clear advantages in everyday life. Its ultra light, exceptionally strong and resilient and features superb damping characteristics.
A snip at £2,500
Old 03 February 2011, 08:24 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

The trouble with the ultra-wide prams is you simply can't get around shops, let alone the pavement (and you need a huge car to get them in), they are the pavement equivalent of the BMW X5.

We opted for a Jane powertwin with the seats one behind the other. It's done well over 500 miles walking and been through two races with the kids being pushed at speed Whilst it has large-ish wheels they are needed with the state of the pavements and if you ever want to take the kids out for a walk/push in the countryside. Now they are coming up on 3 though it doesn't get used so much and it's most likely going to be junked before the end of the year as it's pretty shot-at.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:25 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

We bought our little one the silver cross 3d, I knOw how you feel Its a nightmare shopping for them
Old 03 February 2011, 08:27 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Pushchairs are a big con anyway, many people manage without. I'm one of the ones who can't.
I would love to be into Eco living a use a sling. Sadly, my daughter was born before my son could walk properly!

I had a phil and ted. The ultimate skimline double buggy!
Old 03 February 2011, 08:30 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice.

we had a bugaboo chameleon when we needed one. looked the business, cost about 700 quid. but in actual fact was no better or more practical than one half its price.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:31 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Pushchairs are a big con anyway, many people manage without. I'm one of the ones who can't.
I would love to be into Eco living a use a sling. Sadly, my daughter was born before my son could walk properly!

I had a phil and ted. The ultimate skimline double buggy!
Slings are all well and good but you have to be built like Geoff Capes to carry twins in one (or two). The alternative is being housebound /which is no good for either the kids or the parent.

I like the Phil and Ted but I found the headbar on the lower seat was at precisely the right height to hit my knees nearly every step
Old 03 February 2011, 10:04 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

don't get me started on giant prams

why do people feel the need for them? The amount of people I see struggling to get them in cars and crashing in to things with them, when I used to work in a shop it would make my blood boil when they came in and started crashing in to stuff

People with giant prams also tend never to let go of them, its as if there hand is super glued to them, as if some one would still there scabby kid!

Old 03 February 2011, 10:09 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Missus is due end of April, bought **** all so far

Just can't see the point in spending ££ on this stuff, it only gets a couple of years use at best. Save your cash for when they are older as then they'll be spending it as fast (or faster) than you earn it

I'll be looking at eBay, Mumsnet, etc. for some bargains...
Old 03 February 2011, 10:36 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Top tip

Go to the NCT classes - don't listen to all the doctors are the devil stuff, but just get the dates of the next NCT sale - pick one in a posh neighbourhood and then get there early. Generally spotless top end stuff at rock bottom prices.

A word of warning though about get there early - some mums to be (and ebay pros)- will be there at least an hour before opening to get first in the queue. It's like being in a scrum when the doors open
Old 03 February 2011, 10:42 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised babies these days without all this gubbins actually reach adulthood.

We had no money when mine was born, so made do. She is healthy and happy(ish) most of the time and is nearly 12. I think if I ever had another, (not likely) I would borrow off other people. It's not nearly as important as new parents think
Old 03 February 2011, 11:18 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Many parents kid themselves into thinking that baby will appreciate the pram/buggy it's in which is complete bollox of course

We got all our stuff from Mothercare which fitted the bill admirably. The only concession we made was that meme-sahib wanted new stuff for the first one!

I always associate expensive buggies with mums with Baby of Board stickers

dl (dad)
Old 03 February 2011, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I can still remember my own pram as a baby. It was dark green and looked quite smart. I think it was bought for us by my parents' employers. Just as well because they were both paid peanuts.

I used to be put out on the lawn at the big house where my mother worked as a tweeny and I once rocked it about so much that I got it to fall over!

Les
Old 03 February 2011, 01:22 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Slings are all well and good but you have to be built like Geoff Capes to carry twins in one (or two). The alternative is being housebound /which is no good for either the kids or the parent.

I like the Phil and Ted but I found the headbar on the lower seat was at precisely the right height to hit my knees nearly every step
Tell me about it! I have (only just) 17 months between my two, and was gutted to get rid of my all terrain beast and have to be lumbered with a hoofin' great big double!
I had people tell me not to bother with a double as he would most likely want to walk most places... Yea right! I think some people need a reality check.

I think if I knew then what I know now, maclaren do a great buggy that is a travel system and compatible with the recaro young profi plus, which was the car seat we bought.

To be quite honest, I never used the travel system for my son, and didn't have the choice with the P&T.
It is a massive bugbear of mine to see babies in car seats on buggys all day.
Sure, a quick nip to the shops isn't an issue, but sometimes I see people in town/shopping centres all day with their babies hunched up in car seats ALL DAY!
My neighbours even take their 1 month old out for a walk to the local farm in her carseat, on the buggy. It's so odd.
It's much better for them to be lying flat.
Old 03 February 2011, 05:35 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

16 months between ours and the second one was a 10lb 10oz thumper, so Mrs FB was delighted to evict him (eventually).

We spent a fortune on a 3 wheel maclaren all terrain job to start with only to find that it wouldn't go through shop doorways, so it hardly got used, apart from sitting in the garden for snooze time. That soon was flogged ( for booger all at a NCT sale) and the lightest possible Mac stroller (in which they can still lie flat) was acquired instead, only to be replaced by a double Maclaren stroller when the Fridge turned up

second kid got all hand me downs and nct second hand jobs
Old 03 February 2011, 08:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Mrs mum and dad bought us our baby pram as their gift to us for when the little 'un comes in 5 weeks. It's a nice pale light brown/silver Graco pram/push chair/car seat 3-in-1. Was on offer at Toys'r'us when the Mrs picked it out. Really simply to use and not chavvy at all. Car seat fits well in the Pug although it's a pain as the car is a 3 door. Was under £200 I think too. Nat was originally looking at a second hand Silvercross as they are the daddy apparently but in the end she wanted the above.
Old 03 February 2011, 09:06 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Razorwrx1
Never thought buying a Pram would be such a pain in the ****. Made it worse cos we don't want to know the Sex of the baby. Anyways after weeks if looking we've gone for the new Babystyle Oyster!

It's only been around a month. Anybody got one?
C'mon then Craig,get some pics up
Old 03 February 2011, 09:11 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
don't get me started on giant prams

why do people feel the need for them? The amount of people I see struggling to get them in cars and crashing in to things with them, when I used to work in a shop it would make my blood boil when they came in and started crashing in to stuff

People with giant prams also tend never to let go of them, its as if there hand is super glued to them, as if some one would still there scabby kid!

that's the Mountain Buggy Duo -- we had one for our twins

the evenings I spent mending punctures for that pile of ****

anyway we ebayed it the other day, all my 5 kids out of buggies now – as soon as the twins can put their seatbelts on I can have my life back
ooh fvcking ray

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 03 February 2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: might be a trio
Old 03 February 2011, 09:43 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

im after a pram now after the daughter got herself up the duff silvercross any one got one

Last edited by nick172sport; 03 February 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03 February 2011, 09:51 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
C'mon then Craig,get some pics up
It's not arrived yet Neil! Go on Babystyle website and it's the Oyster!
Old 03 February 2011, 09:52 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
im after a pram now after the daughter got herself up the duff silvercross any one got one
You Coughing up Granpar
Old 03 February 2011, 10:04 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Tell me about it! I have (only just) 17 months between my two.
Try beating 11 minutes!

Felt more like 11 years to me at the time
Old 04 February 2011, 10:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We got the Mamas & Papas MPX for our little'un (now 3). Easily collapsable chassis which can take either the car seat directly, meaning you don't need to wake the baby when leaving the car; the seating system, which lays flat for newborns or (variable) upright seat with footmuff; or the carrycot, which effectively changes it from a buggy to a proper pram, and all bits can face forward or backwards. All the bits can also be clicked into a collapsable stand for use in the house (we use the carrycot as a cot for our new newborn) so again it makes it easy to bring the baby in from the car asleep. We paid about £385 IIRC, but didn't get the carrycot initially. When we were expecting the new baby the missuse decided she wanted the carrycot, so I bid on eBay for a complete system worth over £600 with everything, including two carseat bases and won it for £23.99 So, now we have two chassis's, seats, carseats, stands, a carrycot and three bases, oh, and a raincover. I wish we'd bought from eBay the first time 'round

It has been superb !

We've also got a Phil & Teds Sport which can carry both the NB and 3yo....

....for when we go walking.

All images Googled, not ours.
Old 14 June 2011, 10:09 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Finally built the bugger! Bit late but that's me all over in it

We really like it, more because we don't know what sex their going to be. Only a quick picture on my phone. You get the idea tho

Name:  0103b095.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  30.8 KB

Quick Reply: After Weeks Of Looking We've Bought A Pram!