Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hotel Injury

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2011, 11:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hotel Injury

Was staying in a hotel in Cambridge with work last Thursday, quite a nice one and we got there, checked in and went to our rooms, arranging to meet for drinks and dinner at seven, I decide to have a shower as felt grubby after a day at work and three hours in a car.

Anyway, long story short, got in shower which was over the bath and immediately though "F*ck me this is slippy", noticed a hige pool of shower gel someone had left on the plinth at the end of the bath as well so I dont thinkit had been cleaned. I just continued and was very careful but managed to slip, hit the shower screen which stuck for about half a second and then sent me backwards, grabbed the shower hose which arrested my fall and then popped out of its bracket and I went backwards and smacked my head on the wall under the basin on the other side, proper bang on the head and gashed my elbow, to cap it all there was a nail stuck about 3 mm out of the carpet strip between the bathroom and the room and I managed to find that with my right foot. Typically being a modern hotel bathroom it was all hard tiling and sharp edges, not what you want to fall on, if I had arrested my fall with the shower hose I suspect it would have been a diffferent story.

So, bleeding like **** from my elbow I got dressed and went to reception and they were fairly helpful once they ascertained my main motivation was not to sue them there and then, they got me a taxi and off I went to Addenbrookes for four hours, felt dreadful, pukey and dozy, eventually got seen, kept under observation whilst various doctors and nurses had a look, had an ECG as BP and pulse was high but they decided eventually to stich me up and send me on my way.

So, thinking about it, am a bit peed off with the hotel, shower gel everywhere not cleaned up, greasy metal bath with no grip stuff in the shower bit and no bath mat available, nails sticking up which they said they would attend to and didnt, got back and they had cleared the blood up and the bath was very dry, shower gel still gracing the side.

Do you think its me being clumsy or them being negligent, I generally am pretty together and dont fall over but the bath was lethal, I am always wary of hotel showers as its not like your own and you need to weigh up how slippy it is, head still hurts, leg hurts where it hit the bath, arm hurts where the stitches are, am still taking antibiotics.

Do you think I should chalk it down to experience, be more careful (not that I feel I could have been), have baths instead or send them a letter or like everone at work said, sue them ?

Part of me wants to make sure that nobody else has to go through that (or worse) and I am trying to separate it from the opportunity to get a few quid.
Old 31 January 2011, 11:26 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it down to experience, it's just one of those things.

:-)
Old 31 January 2011, 11:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Bad stuff.

I was to get into the bath jaccussi thingy at the hotel the other evening, but underwater colour changing lights looked minging. I went to the reception and requested for the cleaner to attend to it. Cleaners were not to be on duty until the morning, so the manager had to clean them.

Jacko, if you are not into sueing culture thingy, you should still make a written complaint to the hotel management.They may refund the charges to your work (presuming your work paid for that stay). This may entice them to make changes into their shoite service, which may lead them to be more attentive in future, to what people pay for i.e. comfortable and safe stay.
Old 31 January 2011, 11:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Am thinking to ask they refund it and send the cheque tio Addenbrooks hospital who were great.

Not felt right since, kind of knocked my confidence, feel a bit p1ssed off, ironically though, my colleagues stayed in the bar all night amd I therefore still felt better than they did the following morning !

Last edited by J4CKO; 31 January 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 31 January 2011, 11:48 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Am thinking to ask they refund it and send the cheque tio Addenbrooks hospital who were great.

Not felt right since, kind of knocked my confidence, feel a bit p1ssed off, ironically though, my colleagues stayed in the bar all night amd I therefore still felt better than they did the following morning !
I think sending the cheque would be a lovely thing to do mate Perhaps you should write to the hotel to explain that's what you want done with your refund, that given your horrible stay, you feel entitled too. A nice little hamper from the hotel to the unit would be a bonus as well
Old 31 January 2011, 11:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Aw, man! Hope you feel better soon. A Russian and an Afgani airline made me feel this way twice upon two times. I was too vulnerable to react. To my pleasure, that Russian airline went bankrupt eventually, and the Afgani one made itself redundant soon enough after, due to the bombing of their tinshed airport. Needless to say that I was chuffed. What goes round comes round.

Last edited by Turbohot; 31 January 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01 February 2011, 12:21 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Frank J4CKO Spencer....MMMMMMnn Betty.
Old 01 February 2011, 07:02 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Was staying in a hotel in Cambridge with work last Thursday, quite a nice one and we got there, checked in and went to our rooms, arranging to meet for drinks and dinner at seven, I decide to have a shower as felt grubby after a day at work and three hours in a car.

Anyway, long story short, got in shower which was over the bath and immediately though "F*ck me this is slippy", noticed a hige pool of shower gel someone had left on the plinth at the end of the bath as well so I dont thinkit had been cleaned. I just continued and was very careful but managed to slip, hit the shower screen which stuck for about half a second and then sent me backwards, grabbed the shower hose which arrested my fall and then popped out of its bracket and I went backwards and smacked my head on the wall under the basin on the other side, proper bang on the head and gashed my elbow, to cap it all there was a nail stuck about 3 mm out of the carpet strip between the bathroom and the room and I managed to find that with my right foot. Typically being a modern hotel bathroom it was all hard tiling and sharp edges, not what you want to fall on, if I had arrested my fall with the shower hose I suspect it would have been a diffferent story.

So, bleeding like **** from my elbow I got dressed and went to reception and they were fairly helpful once they ascertained my main motivation was not to sue them there and then, they got me a taxi and off I went to Addenbrookes for four hours, felt dreadful, pukey and dozy, eventually got seen, kept under observation whilst various doctors and nurses had a look, had an ECG as BP and pulse was high but they decided eventually to stich me up and send me on my way.

So, thinking about it, am a bit peed off with the hotel, shower gel everywhere not cleaned up, greasy metal bath with no grip stuff in the shower bit and no bath mat available, nails sticking up which they said they would attend to and didnt, got back and they had cleared the blood up and the bath was very dry, shower gel still gracing the side.

Do you think its me being clumsy or them being negligent, I generally am pretty together and dont fall over but the bath was lethal, I am always wary of hotel showers as its not like your own and you need to weigh up how slippy it is, head still hurts, leg hurts where it hit the bath, arm hurts where the stitches are, am still taking antibiotics.

Do you think I should chalk it down to experience, be more careful (not that I feel I could have been), have baths instead or send them a letter or like everone at work said, sue them ?

Part of me wants to make sure that nobody else has to go through that (or worse) and I am trying to separate it from the opportunity to get a few quid.
"lack of self adhesive ducks" from the "Big Bang Theory".

J.
Old 01 February 2011, 09:04 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speye91
Frank J4CKO Spencer....MMMMMMnn Betty.

Old 01 February 2011, 09:14 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Tell the truth Jacko youve been flicking wet towels at the lads from work in the shower haven't you
Old 01 February 2011, 09:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well I just hope you've offered to pay for all the damage you caused

Pulled the shower to bits and blood all over the floor. tut, tut.

I suppose you hit the minibar and standing up in the shower was asking a lot?

dl
Old 01 February 2011, 09:52 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Ouch! hope you're. ok

Complain and don't get fobbed off.

I was scalded in a shower in Miami - halfway through my shower the water suddenly went red hot leaving a nice red burn on my chest. Within 30 seconds of showing my chest at reception we were upgraded for the week to a beachfront appartment. I would like to think it was showing off my physique in receptoin that earned the upgrade but I suspect the truth may be closer to the fact that they didn't want a lawsuit.
Old 01 February 2011, 09:56 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember a few years back having walked back from a club in the summer I decided to have a shower to freshen up. I slipped and in my drunken wisdom grabbed hold of the shower curtain for support pulling the whole thing down, flying out of the bath head first and cracking my head on the radiotor. I came to lying on the floor wrapped in a shower curtian in a pool of blood. Looked like something out of a bloomin horror movie.
Old 01 February 2011, 10:05 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I stayed in a hotel and when I checked in was given a room which had not been cleaned. In fact it was worse than that; someone had wiped their **** on the towel and left it on the floor. I complained to the manager who immediately offered me a full refund, I declined and asked to change room. Unfortunately, the second room had a broken handle in the bath which I found out the following morning when I nearly broke my wrist as the handle parted company from the bath as I climbed out. The duty manager was less than accomodating, so I demanded a refund there and then. It was a business trip so I didn't benefit but I thought that they were slack and shouldn't be paied for very poor service.
Old 01 February 2011, 12:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Just thought sod it and called Claims Direct, if it goes through I will make a donation to Addenbrookes, said I would never do this but I do feel that the bath was not clean (minging in itself) and considering the shower was over the bath, the bath was not set up for being stood up in, the nail on the door strip was the clincher, the attitude of the desk staff was more concern for the Hotel than me so sod them, see what they can do, if it comes to nothing then at least I had a go.
Old 01 February 2011, 12:06 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I stayed in a hotel and when I checked in was given a room which had not been cleaned. In fact it was worse than that; someone had wiped their **** on the towel and left it on the floor. I complained to the manager who immediately offered me a full refund, I declined and asked to change room. Unfortunately, the second room had a broken handle in the bath which I found out the following morning when I nearly broke my wrist as the handle parted company from the bath as I climbed out. The duty manager was less than accomodating, so I demanded a refund there and then. It was a business trip so I didn't benefit but I thought that they were slack and shouldn't be paied for very poor service.
Ah so you stayed in the Jurys Hotel in Glasgow too then ?
Old 01 February 2011, 02:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

In all fairness, although it was poor behaviour by the hotel to leave that gel there, the fact that you continued and decided to take the risk instead of clearing the gel yourself, or asking the hotel to do it puts you on the back foot if you did try to sue.

I think under the circumstances it woulf be unfair to do so anyway.

Les
Old 01 February 2011, 04:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Les, the pool of Gel wasnt int he bath, was onthe side, the bath looked clean but was very slimy when I got in, the pool of gel really was a clue but not the cause, the bath may well have been cleaned and the gel overlooked.

As for being on the back foot, I wasn't on any feet, I was on my ****
Old 01 February 2011, 04:47 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

A few years ago I was working a lot in Dublin, travelling down from Belfast on a Sunday or Monday, living in a hotel, and heading home again on the Friday.

Once I checked into my room and there was a turd in the toilet.
That was a 5 star hotel believe it or not.

I've also checked into a hotel and found the room not made up - bed still not changed, even had a room service tray still left!
Old 01 February 2011, 04:51 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

What an awful thing to happen
Have you told all this to the hotel? Might be worth seeing what they are prepared to offer you, before going down the claims route
Old 01 February 2011, 04:52 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by urban
A few years ago I was working a lot in Dublin, travelling down from Belfast on a Sunday or Monday, living in a hotel, and heading home again on the Friday.

Once I checked into my room and there was a turd in the toilet.
That was a 5 star hotel believe it or not.

I've also checked into a hotel and found the room not made up - bed still not changed, even had a room service tray still left!
Those floaters are a bugger to flush. Sorry but I have to
Old 01 February 2011, 04:55 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I would have spoken to the Manager before setting the vultures on them.
As they may have mad a contribution to the hospital as you originally wanted.

Now all its doing is lining the pockets of scumbag solicitors
Old 01 February 2011, 05:27 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

J4cko - isn't Elbow one of your favourite bands?

Old 01 February 2011, 06:55 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Just thought sod it and called Claims Direct, if it goes through I will make a donation to Addenbrookes, said I would never do this but I do feel that the bath was not clean (minging in itself) and considering the shower was over the bath, the bath was not set up for being stood up in, the nail on the door strip was the clincher, the attitude of the desk staff was more concern for the Hotel than me so sod them, see what they can do, if it comes to nothing then at least I had a go.
Why not speak to the hotel owners/manager first to see what they would consider to be a fair way to compensate you for your troubles.

I booked 10 rooms in a hotel for Goodwood 3 years ago and we had a few problems with rooms, food etc. I complained to the owners ( large chain) and we were offered the same 10 rooms for 2 nights B&B FOC for the Goodwood weekend the following year. When we did return all was well as the hotel had had a refurbishment and a new manager ,staff etc.

Chip
Old 01 February 2011, 07:10 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

I personally wouldnt claim unless it was leaving me with some sort of longterm problem, or cost me a considerable amount of money somehow. Not a personal dig, but everyone is out to get a claim these days where they can, when half the time its not really needed. Same deal with car crashes, people wanna claim as much as they can, pushing everyones elses premiums up as well might i add!
Old 01 February 2011, 08:14 PM
Lady Luck
Scooby Regular

I live in a hotel during the week and I'd deffo complain highly. If they pay you off, send it off to Addenbrookes like you said if your conscience wont let you pocket the compo.

On a personal note, I have a bit of an OCD complex when it comes to baths in hotels and always stands on a hand towel as the rubber grips always look rancid and the bathmats invariably are a bit mildew-y

Living in a hotel for 8 month has warped my sensibilities
Old 01 February 2011, 08:38 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Although a clouseau-esque series of events caused your injuries, who's fault was it, if it was remotely theirs (which in my opinion it was wholly theirs, you should expect taking a shower to be a relatively safe thing to do, not requiring testing of surfaces, or removal of sharp objects ), then let their insurance company do what they are there for, and sue them.
Old 01 February 2011, 10:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Will see what transpirtes, havent had a call back of the claims company, you never know I might change my mind as to be honest it isnt really my style, will be interesting to see what the process is.

Its funny, I stay in hotels in America fairly regularly, they are bang on with safety.

Worst bit is all the stick I have had a work, funnily enough we had been discussing whether after 40 (like me since Nov) you still fall over or "have a fall" or what age you start to "have a fall" like its out of your control due to age !
Old 03 April 2012, 06:15 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Question

Any update?
Old 03 April 2012, 06:25 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Stayed in a hotel in Paris where the sink drain was blocked so couldn't clean teeth or shave. Reported to reception who sent a maintenance man straight away.

15 minutes later I was let back into the room. He had undone the U-bend and put the bin under the sink to catch the water!!

I was given another room in which to ablute as the hotel was full other than just-vacated rooms.

When on business you ideally want a voucher for a free night or similar. It's you who has suffered, and refunding your company doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Last edited by speedking; 03 April 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Just noticed the OP date :O

Quick Reply: Hotel Injury