Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

It breaks my heart.......

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2011, 04:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It breaks my heart.......

We watch quite a bit of National Geographic on Sky. There are many programmes on endangered species and it breaks my heart watching mankind destroy so many beautiful animals and marine creatures - not forgetting the decimation of rain forests.

Often for nothing more than a useless medicine, foul tasting soup or for what what really pisses me off vehicle fuel.

I was watching a film on Tigers today, in my mind the most beautiful creatures on earth with just a few thousand left.

So in a few years time what would you choose to save - the Lions or the Tigers or perhaps something else?

d
Old 30 January 2011, 05:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn’t worry too much about it – the earth has another 4 billion years left and species extinction is all part of the wonder of nature, if it wasn’t we would all have dinosaurs as pets

I would prob worry about us first tbh, the earth/nature will look after itself
Old 30 January 2011, 06:19 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Hodgy, i agree with you somewhat, but the dinosaurs died out without our help.

When we're the cause of current animals dieing in vast amounts with no REAL need, it becomes a different story entirely.

We all play the ignorance is bliss card(including me), but we could all be doing a lot more to help the planet.
Old 30 January 2011, 06:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see mans population decimated. Half would be good, that'd give the animals a chance. Of course, nature itself is sometimes to blame. Panda's are an evolutionary fart and deserve to die out, regardless of how cute they are. They should be meat eaters like all bears, but are too lazy to hunt and so have chosen to rely on vegetation, specifically bamboo, which is even less nutritious than a McDonalds. Sure, man encroaching into their habitat hasn't helped them, but as a species they are doomed.
Old 30 January 2011, 06:48 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I blame the bankers!
Old 30 January 2011, 06:53 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drb5
Hodgy, i agree with you somewhat, but the dinosaurs died out without our help.
yes - i take your point, the dinosaur point was an extreme one, (odd isn't it, that the perception of the dinosaurs is that they were not a very successful species, when in fact they ruled the world for millions of years - far longer than we will)

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 30 January 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 30 January 2011, 06:56 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always pi$$es me off how sharks are treated by humans!
Old 30 January 2011, 07:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The thing about man's efforts to wipe out a species is that it is taking just a few years, a blink of an eye in nature's timescale so it's far more noticeable. Look at the poor old Bluefin - being fished to extinction right now

d
Old 30 January 2011, 07:25 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trout
I blame the bankers!
Or New Labia.
Old 30 January 2011, 07:28 PM
Will
BANNED

Like the program Girdon Ramsay did with shark fining!!! Disgusting!!!!
Old 30 January 2011, 08:25 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Encountered a wild Orang-utan in Malaysia a couple of years ago - it was an awesome sight, scared the hell out of me and fascinated me at the same time. Another animal facing extinction due to the greed of man, cutting away ancient rain forests to grow palm trees for palm oil.
Old 31 January 2011, 07:52 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I'd like to see mans population decimated. Half would be good, that'd give the animals a chance.
ok you can be in that half
Old 31 January 2011, 08:12 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Panda's are an evolutionary fart and deserve to die out, regardless of how cute they are.

99% of all creatures that have ever existed are now extinct.
Old 31 January 2011, 04:55 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Never had a bowl of shark fin soup in all my life
Old 31 January 2011, 05:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
We watch quite a bit of National Geographic on Sky. There are many programmes on endangered species and it breaks my heart watching mankind destroy so many beautiful animals and marine creatures - not forgetting the decimation of rain forests.

Often for nothing more than a useless medicine, foul tasting soup or for what what really pisses me off vehicle fuel.

I was watching a film on Tigers today, in my mind the most beautiful creatures on earth with just a few thousand left.

So in a few years time what would you choose to save - the Lions or the Tigers or perhaps something else?

d
I am somewhat baised having been involved with charities to help tigers for many years now.

The biggest single issue is certian governments paying lip service to the idea of preserving these creastures all the while turning a blind eye to poaching and illegal killing and trafficking of these animals for some hairbrained hocus pocus herbal medcine and the likes.

There was the case a few years ago of the tigrer sanctuary in China who were serving tiger in their cafe.... I kid you not.... what do the Chinese government do about it? Nothing!!! That is what. B**tards!!!!

I am not generally a violent person, but I would enjoy watching acts of extreme violence bestowed upon the manager of that sanctuary!!!!
Old 31 January 2011, 05:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Fantastic creatures

d
Old 31 January 2011, 06:00 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"Fantastic creatures..."

d
...As long as you're not in close proximity and on thier menu.

Then the sentment goes something along the lines of, "OOOOOH SHIIIIIT!!!"

Last edited by joz8968; 31 January 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01 February 2011, 03:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

d
I feel the same way as you DL, being an animal lover it is not surprising.

I would like to be able to save them all, but it is a natural affair to lose species as time goes by. I would hate to see loss of those noble creatures the lions and tigers. It would be a great loss to this world.

Les
Old 01 February 2011, 04:12 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see mans population decimated. Half would be good, that'd give the animals a chance. Of course, nature itself is sometimes to blame. Panda's are an evolutionary fart and deserve to die out, regardless of how cute they are. They should be meat eaters like all bears, but are too lazy to hunt and so have chosen to rely on vegetation, specifically bamboo, which is even less nutritious than a McDonalds. Sure, man encroaching into their habitat hasn't helped them, but as a species they are doomed.

Funnily enough I've always said the worst thing to happen to this planet was the Homosapien, and the worst bits of our existance have only been done in the last 200 years.

European Grey Wolves, Lynx Buffalo all used to roam our countryside at will, not any more
Old 01 February 2011, 04:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Pandas are an evolutionary fart and deserve to die out, regardless of how cute they are. They should be meat eaters like all bears, but are too lazy to hunt and so have chosen to rely on vegetation, specifically bamboo, which is even less nutritious than a McDonalds. Sure, man encroaching into their habitat hasn't helped them, but as a species they are doomed.

Cannot agree with this. That's like blaming dodos for being flightless. Animals evolve for a reason, and pandas eat bamboo because at the time it was almost limitless in supply. We do not have the moral authority to determine an animal's fate just because we have destroyed their natural habitat, in my opinion.
Old 01 February 2011, 04:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I feel the same way as you DL, being an animal lover it is not surprising.

I would like to be able to save them all, but it is a natural affair to lose species as time goes by. I would hate to see loss of those noble creatures the lions and tigers. It would be a great loss to this world.

Les
You're right about nature taking its sometimes cruel (to us) course but the particular gripe I have it that it is man that is responsible for so much unnecessary and selfish destruction of some species. Animals, fish, trees - we just don't seem to care

But I suppose we shouldn't be surprised given the way we treat each other

dl
Old 01 February 2011, 05:06 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You're right about nature taking its sometimes cruel (to us) course but the particular gripe I have it that it is man that is responsible for so much unnecessary and selfish destruction of some species. Animals, fish, trees - we just don't seem to care

But I suppose we shouldn't be surprised given the way we treat each other

dl
Could not agree more

Beautiful, aren't they and deserve to be protected.