Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motorbike not happy.

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2011, 06:54 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorbike not happy.

When you show a sportsbike rider a trick or two they get offended that his machine wasn't the best at the time.
I nailed a r6 through a long sweeping bend and on to a straight he didn't real me in although I expected him to fly by although I could see him tuck in?
When we got on the long straight I did the right thing with traffic ahead and slowed off and moved over so if he wanted to overtake he could, he then swerved really wide in to on coming lane gave me a hand gesture to say come on then. His bike was real nice and I rode a 650 suzuki for 5 years but why take offense that he was a ***** through the bends and my AWD could go through the bend 15mph or more quicker?
Old 27 January 2011, 07:13 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

be careful out there, although it is tempting, it is dangerous game racing a bike, time behind bars for you if it goes pair shaped for him, a witness to say you were racing as they scoop him up is all it takes.
Old 27 January 2011, 07:31 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Old 27 January 2011, 07:32 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Cue a "bikes are faster than most Scoobs apart from on wet twisties" thread.

Old 27 January 2011, 07:50 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

To be fair I was expecting to fly past me after the bend but he didnt. The ground was damp in patches and the rider isn't going to want to bin it but a bike cant go around bends as quick as cars can if both riders/drivers are average in skill.
Old 27 January 2011, 07:52 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

What bhp do you reckon your Scoob is Graeme? What model, year and mods?
Old 27 January 2011, 07:57 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Maybe he knew his limits through bends which as an ex rider you probably know cause a very high percentage of motorcycle accidents.
Also, as said earlier if i were you i wouldn't 'race' bikes as it will end in tears not only for the rider, but for you too.

Originally Posted by graeme jones
When you show a sportsbike rider a trick or two they get offended that his machine wasn't the best at the time.
I nailed a r6 through a long sweeping bend and on to a straight he didn't real me in although I expected him to fly by although I could see him tuck in?
When we got on the long straight I did the right thing with traffic ahead and slowed off and moved over so if he wanted to overtake he could, he then swerved really wide in to on coming lane gave me a hand gesture to say come on then. His bike was real nice and I rode a 650 suzuki for 5 years but why take offense that he was a ***** through the bends and my AWD could go through the bend 15mph or more quicker?
Old 27 January 2011, 07:58 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

the biker would need to be a lot more skilled than the car driver to carry the same speed through a bend, most riders don't have the skill/boll0cks/death-wish to take the bike to the limit of adhesion, where most car drivers do. check any circuit laptimes, the fastest cars are always quicker than the fastest bikes.
Old 27 January 2011, 08:03 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Cold, damp, potholes and crap on road, not the best time of year to be thrashing a bike.

Originally Posted by gallois
the biker would need to be a lot more skilled than the car driver to carry the same speed through a bend, most riders don't have the skill/boll0cks/death-wish to take the bike to the limit of adhesion, where most car drivers do. check any circuit laptimes, the fastest cars are always quicker than the fastest bikes.
Old 27 January 2011, 08:06 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Popcorn
Old 27 January 2011, 09:16 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Smile

check any circuit laptimes, the fastest cars are always quicker than the fastest bikes.
Is that an actual fact or a sweeping generalisation that you made up
Old 27 January 2011, 09:23 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

In what way did you 'nail and R6'?

Just wondering if this was a chap on his way home from work and suddenly finding some goit in a scooby looking to race him. I'd have possibly cruised past when you had to slow for traffic too. Probably just dusted the shoulder off though.

Don't think this is covering yourself in glory dude.

5t.
Old 27 January 2011, 09:36 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

be careful out there, although it is tempting, it is dangerous game racing a bike, time behind bars for you if it goes pair shaped for him, a witness to say you were racing as they scoop him up is all it takes.
jail bait if you re not careful one mistake by the motorbike he goes splatt and you are behind bars only place to race bikes is on a track its safe if you have to. take care
Old 27 January 2011, 09:54 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Are you kidding? Find any circuit that hosts broadly-speaking like-for-like equivalent race events for cars and bikes - say BTTC and Superbikes, or F1 and MotoGP - and the car lap times will be a good 10 or 20 seconds quicker than the bike ones.
Old 27 January 2011, 10:10 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by markjmd
Are you kidding? Find any circuit that hosts broadly-speaking like-for-like equivalent race events for cars and bikes - say BTTC and Superbikes, or F1 and MotoGP - and the car lap times will be a good 10 or 20 seconds quicker than the bike ones.
Oops - My apologies - I thought we were talking real world here.... like the OP. Say a 10 grand bike against a 10 (or 20 or 30 or 40) grand car on a trackday.
Old 27 January 2011, 10:28 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke

yeh nice one.
Old 27 January 2011, 10:58 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
In what way did you 'nail and R6'?

Just wondering if this was a chap on his way home from work and suddenly finding some goit in a scooby looking to race him. I'd have possibly cruised past when you had to slow for traffic too. Probably just dusted the shoulder off though.

Don't think this is covering yourself in glory dude.

5t.
hhhm the fact he made a point of egging me on from the 3 sets of lights before and that he shot of from the lights and so did I. If you read the my original post I never said it was a race. I said I nailed him through a long sweeping bend and for a short straight until we hit traffic in which he risked his own safety to prove he could overtake in an unsafe manner after I moved over closer to the curb as I expected him to do this after his riding ability was tested for a second.

I forgot that you own a fast car and never put your foot down occasionally when someone else fancies a go? People getting on their moral high horse on here is hilarious. As I said I have owned bikes if your not interested then you let people pass by and don't get involved. I would have never risked my life to prove my skinny crotch rocket can squeeze through dangerous gaps that my car obviously can't.

I think the reason he never overtook me on the straight was that the next bend wasn't far away and if he had tried he would have had to hit the breaks hard and probably needed stableisers to get around it.
Old 27 January 2011, 11:29 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Yep. Check the lap times for the Nurburing, a "public" road, and see how expensive a car you have to have to go faster then the the sub-£10K bikes do ....

Oh, ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times ...

Dave
There is a lot of info there, and you haven't been allowed to time bikes on the Ring for around 16 years (due to the people dying trying to be quicker than the other lunatics on 2 wheels)

Ultimate cars seem quicker overall, but I can't see an option to compare a standard car and bike.

Graeme, well done on your driving skills and teaching him a lesson. When you 'nailed him' you obviously passed him. Did you pass him around the outside of the bend, or did you wait for him to run wide and cut inside?
Old 28 January 2011, 12:06 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Not very clever admitting to racing a bike on a public forum.
Old 28 January 2011, 12:10 AM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Not very clever admitting to racing a bike on a public forum.
Boring i'm out. I may join the who's selling their scooby thread now that you cant have fun.
Old 28 January 2011, 12:28 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Boring i'm out. I may join the who's selling their scooby thread now that you cant have fun.
Aw you can have fun, but if you decide to drive like a semen stain, you probably shouldn't try to brag. HTH
Old 28 January 2011, 12:49 AM
P1 LTD
Scooby Regular

hhhm the fact he made a point of egging me on from the 3 sets of lights before and that he shot of from the lights and so did I. If you read the my original post I never said it was a race. I said I nailed him through a long sweeping bend and for a short straight until we hit traffic in which he risked his own safety to prove he could overtake in an unsafe manner after I moved over closer to the curb as I expected him to do this after his riding ability was tested for a second.

I forgot that you own a fast car and never put your foot down occasionally when someone else fancies a go? People getting on their moral high horse on here is hilarious. As I said I have owned bikes if your not interested then you let people pass by and don't get involved. I would have never risked my life to prove my skinny crotch rocket can squeeze through dangerous gaps that my car obviously can't.

I think the reason he never overtook me on the straight was that the next bend wasn't far away and if he had tried he would have had to hit the breaks hard and probably needed stableisers to get around it.

You set him straight graeme jones! How many superbike riders really stick to the speed limit!
Old 28 January 2011, 10:44 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares which is faster, the difference isnt going to be that much and what do you do with the time saved when you get there anyway, I like to enjoy my driving without anyone else involved.
Old 28 January 2011, 11:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

About 10 years ago one bright and sunny afternoon coming back from M40 to Stony Stratford having spent most of the day stuck in traffic i decided to go back on the lanes in my scoob. I encountered a sports bike on this glorious warm late afternoon.

He pulled up close behind me and we travelled at a fair pace (convoy of two), the pace picked up and up and i had one of the best and most rewarding drives of my life, i wrung the scoob out and used all of my skill (such as it is) hammering down the wide open traffic free lanes for some 10 miles.

The bike would catch me at on the straights and i left him in the 'twisties'. Eventually we came to a crossroads, i was going left, him right. He pulled up next to me and we both had the biggest grins - like schoolboys, said goodbye and disappeared of in different directions with friendly waves.
Old 28 January 2011, 11:45 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
About 10 years ago one bright and sunny afternoon coming back from M40 to Stony Stratford having spent most of the day stuck in traffic i decided to go back on the lanes in my scoob. I encountered a sports bike on this glorious warm late afternoon.

He pulled up close behind me and we travelled at a fair pace (convoy of two), the pace picked up and up and i had one of the best and most rewarding drives of my life, i wrung the scoob out and used all of my skill (such as it is) hammering down the wide open traffic free lanes for some 10 miles.

The bike would catch me at on the straights and i left him in the 'twisties'. Eventually we came to a crossroads, i was going left, him right. He pulled up next to me and we both had the biggest grins - like schoolboys, said goodbye and disappeared of in different directions with friendly waves.

Thats when its good, two like minded individuals, having fun within reasonable bounds but to be honest I have got very wary, mainly down to the speed cameras and having got 3 points, but also the last time I had a dabble it was with a Monaro, in my humble Saab and it wasnt really any quicker so the driver of the Monaro started taking stupid risks to make a point, he nearly hit another car so I just backed off, didn't want to be any part of it.
Old 28 January 2011, 12:48 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

Did the same thing on the A38 to plymouth many years ago, reached some stupid speads though so not very clever but lots of fun had by me and the biker who gave a thumbs up and then went on his way.

Last edited by Wurzel; 28 January 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 28 January 2011, 12:50 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Thimbs up was he from outer space ?
Old 29 January 2011, 01:42 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by hutton_d
It's called 'reading', using your eyes and brain to compare the car times and the bike times ....

Dave

doesn't list mods though.... looks like the the quickest time in a car you can actually buy for 10k is around 10 minutes, while the quickest time on a bike you can buy for a similar amount of cash is 7.30.....but I could be reading it wrong. Hopefully markjmd can enlighten me

Quick Reply: Motorbike not happy.