Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Family (legal) problem

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2011, 01:28 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Family (legal) problem

How can I find out who is the legal owner of my father in law's house. (in Scotland)

My wife's sister is a gold diging bitch. She works in the finacial services market, so she knows what she's doing. Her life revolves around money. She has put my father in law into a home. The gold digging bitch is controling everything. My wife is completely in the dark about what is happening.
In my opinion, I think my wife's sister has had her dad's house signed over to her a couple of years ago. Its a legal requirement in Scotland that anyone going into care has to sell their home to provide the finance for their care. I think she has anticipated this by getting her dad to sign the house over to her.
He's been in a home since the end of November. My wife wife was'nt even told what home he was in until today. She was also told by her sister not to mention a word about the house when she visits him tomorrow.
It's unikely he'll live more that another year. I think my sister-in law is totally shafting her dad, and also my wife out of her inheritance
I need to know as soon as possible who the legal owner of the house is. The house has to be cleared on Friday.
Old 18 January 2011, 08:35 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.scotlandlandregistry.co.uk/
Old 18 January 2011, 10:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

And I bet your charming s-i-l has got the old boy to sign over giving her Enduring Power of Attorney.

Has he made a Will?

d
Old 18 January 2011, 12:06 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sti-04!! Thanks for that.

I had a look at the site's FAQ's and it says ownership could take a year or more to be registered. So if I pay the £16 fee, it could still show ownership as the father in law.

I don't speak to the stuck up bitch sister in law, however my wife says that over the past couple of years, her sister frequently got her dad to sign things without him knowing what they are.
I have no idea if he's made a will.
Old 18 January 2011, 12:24 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Get a solicitor,it may need to be a Scottish one as their laws differ to English law,& say your wife has an interest in her fathers affairs/assets/welfare.They will have to disclose your sister-in-laws interests.
Old 18 January 2011, 12:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate it when people do that, so obsessed with money they will sell their own flesh and blood out for a few quid, I have alwasy said when it comes to me and my brother there will be none of that and I firmly beleive it, we just arent like that, I care more about my own integrity than money, hence why I am not loaded

I would just ask her outright, who currently owns the house, if she intends taking
the entire proceeds for herself and how she justifies that morally.
Old 18 January 2011, 12:52 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Speaking from experience, can I suggest your wife gets things sorted sooner rather than later? If you don't, it just gets messier and costs more.

And if the thought comes up "I can't do that, it's family", get it out of your head sharpish, because the family probably won't be as nice to think the same about you.
Old 18 January 2011, 07:49 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

On the other hand though she could be signing everything over to her so she can avoid paying death taxes on the assets so both your sil and wife don't get shafted by the government?
Old 18 January 2011, 08:51 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by john_s
And if the thought comes up "I can't do that, it's family", get it out of your head sharpish, because the family probably won't be as nice to think the same about you.
Amen to that

My Mother always harps on about 'blood being thicker than water', despite her parasite sister providing copious evidence to the contrary

Fortunately my Dad has always known what a scheming thieving witch my aunt is, and thanks to him my Mum has just narrowly avoided being on the wrong end of exactly this situation

To the OP, tell your wife to get herself a solicitor well versed in Scottish law, and to take nothing her sister tells her at face value, there is a very good reason why you almost always see the word 'Feud' preceded by the word 'Family'
Old 19 January 2011, 09:28 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Sounds as though your sister in law has been looking after her father, sorting out care etc etc. I dont want to be rude but what has your wife done for her father during his current illness? I understand she probably lives some distance away, but from your post it does sound as though her fathers care has all been done by your sister in law. In which case she perhaps had no choice but to look after his affairs too?
Your wife does need to see a solicitor.