ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Family (legal) problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/868745-family-legal-problem.html)

scunnered 18 January 2011 01:28 AM

Family (legal) problem

How can I find out who is the legal owner of my father in law's house. (in Scotland)

My wife's sister is a gold diging bitch. She works in the finacial services market, so she knows what she's doing. Her life revolves around money. She has put my father in law into a home. The gold digging bitch is controling everything. My wife is completely in the dark about what is happening.
In my opinion, I think my wife's sister has had her dad's house signed over to her a couple of years ago. Its a legal requirement in Scotland that anyone going into care has to sell their home to provide the finance for their care. I think she has anticipated this by getting her dad to sign the house over to her.
He's been in a home since the end of November. My wife wife was'nt even told what home he was in until today. She was also told by her sister not to mention a word about the house when she visits him tomorrow.
It's unikely he'll live more that another year. I think my sister-in law is totally shafting her dad, and also my wife out of her inheritance
I need to know as soon as possible who the legal owner of the house is. The house has to be cleared on Friday.

sti-04!! 18 January 2011 08:35 AM

http://www.scotlandlandregistry.co.uk/

David Lock 18 January 2011 10:46 AM

And I bet your charming s-i-l has got the old boy to sign over giving her Enduring Power of Attorney.

Has he made a Will?

d

scunnered 18 January 2011 12:06 PM

sti-04!! Thanks for that.

I had a look at the site's FAQ's and it says ownership could take a year or more to be registered. So if I pay the £16 fee, it could still show ownership as the father in law.

I don't speak to the stuck up bitch sister in law, however my wife says that over the past couple of years, her sister frequently got her dad to sign things without him knowing what they are.
I have no idea if he's made a will.

legb4rsk 18 January 2011 12:24 PM

Get a solicitor,it may need to be a Scottish one as their laws differ to English law,& say your wife has an interest in her fathers affairs/assets/welfare.They will have to disclose your sister-in-laws interests.

J4CKO 18 January 2011 12:50 PM

I hate it when people do that, so obsessed with money they will sell their own flesh and blood out for a few quid, I have alwasy said when it comes to me and my brother there will be none of that and I firmly beleive it, we just arent like that, I care more about my own integrity than money, hence why I am not loaded :D

I would just ask her outright, who currently owns the house, if she intends taking
the entire proceeds for herself and how she justifies that morally.

john_s 18 January 2011 12:52 PM

Speaking from experience, can I suggest your wife gets things sorted sooner rather than later? If you don't, it just gets messier and costs more.

And if the thought comes up "I can't do that, it's family", get it out of your head sharpish, because the family probably won't be as nice to think the same about you.

subaruturbo_18 18 January 2011 07:49 PM

On the other hand though she could be signing everything over to her so she can avoid paying death taxes on the assets so both your sil and wife don't get shafted by the government?

CrisPDuk 18 January 2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by john_s (Post 9828573)
And if the thought comes up "I can't do that, it's family", get it out of your head sharpish, because the family probably won't be as nice to think the same about you.

Amen to that :thumb:

My Mother always harps on about 'blood being thicker than water', despite her parasite sister providing copious evidence to the contrary :mad:

Fortunately my Dad has always known what a scheming thieving witch my aunt is, and thanks to him my Mum has just narrowly avoided being on the wrong end of exactly this situation :thumb:

To the OP, tell your wife to get herself a solicitor well versed in Scottish law, and to take nothing her sister tells her at face value, there is a very good reason why you almost always see the word 'Feud' preceded by the word 'Family' :rolleyes:

r32 19 January 2011 09:28 AM

Sounds as though your sister in law has been looking after her father, sorting out care etc etc. I dont want to be rude but what has your wife done for her father during his current illness? I understand she probably lives some distance away, but from your post it does sound as though her fathers care has all been done by your sister in law. In which case she perhaps had no choice but to look after his affairs too?
Your wife does need to see a solicitor.