Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Smokers! Think I found the answer!

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2011, 09:38 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Exclamation Smokers! Think I found the answer!

Smoked like a fool for 25 years.Completely weak willed and yes,do enjoy a cigarette.Perhaps non smokers won't understand the following,but...

About 15 years ago,tried going cold turkey,no joy and nearly killed me

Bought that book.Never read it.Was hypnotised.Complete waste of £250

Introduced to those e- cigarettes.Just vapour.Amazing! Not even sniffed a cigarette for a week now.that sounds a short time....for me it would have been a lifetime...not now! Really ,am completely not bothered at all and it is actually pleasant without the crap in a cigarette

Anyway,smoke free and I have never felt so pleased like the buzz of alcohol without getting drunk fat and a headache and waking up in the wrong bed..maybe that will be the next invention

(still get twitchy when battery running low though)
Old 16 January 2011, 10:06 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

good for you mate been quit 8 years in june, best thing I have ever done.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:10 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never started so its now 38 years smoke free :-)

But well done it is a good thing to give them up.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:20 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

I'll have to give it a try I've given up on quitting

well done to u mate

Last edited by Mus; 16 January 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:26 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Seemingly the Doctor can perscribe pretty good tablets which work a treat, I know quite a few people who were heavy smokers and stopped no problem with these.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:38 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

You should have read the book though
Old 16 January 2011, 10:40 PM
wazzawrx
Scooby Regular

i gave up 2 weeks ago and doing ok !
Old 16 January 2011, 10:41 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
What book?
Old 16 January 2011, 10:46 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Ha! True.Lent it to someone and never saw it again!

As to the tablets,yes,sounded very good but I think most of it is habit! Putting the cigarette in your mouth and having a drag!

Thanks all though,better than passing my driving test and that was 25 years ago too!

Anyone who is thinking of it...go for it...been very painless as opposed to other efforts
Old 16 January 2011, 11:03 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

What are these e-cigarettes you speak of
Old 16 January 2011, 11:06 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Smoked like a fool for 25 years.Completely weak willed and yes,do enjoy a cigarette.Perhaps non smokers won't understand the following,but...

About 15 years ago,tried going cold turkey,no joy and nearly killed me

Bought that book.Never read it.Was hypnotised.Complete waste of £250

Introduced to those e- cigarettes.Just vapour.Amazing! Not even sniffed a cigarette for a week now.that sounds a short time....for me it would have been a lifetime...not now! Really ,am completely not bothered at all and it is actually pleasant without the crap in a cigarette

Anyway,smoke free and I have never felt so pleased like the buzz of alcohol without getting drunk fat and a headache and waking up in the wrong bed..maybe that will be the next invention

(still get twitchy when battery running low though)
Adam at scoobyclinic was using one of these a couple of months ago, he reckoned it was brilliant. Be interested to know how he's getting on now with it now.

I quite 20 a day overnight 8 years ago, never had a drag since. Stick with it, it gets easier after a week. Stick the £6/packet in a jar with Scooby modding fund written on it.
Old 16 January 2011, 11:12 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
The one I saw was like a *** holder with a little battery in it. You screwed an imitation *** into with a capsule that had nicotine inside. Then when you have a drag you get the nicotine hit, the end lights up blue and steam(looks like *** smoke) comes from the end.
And you can use them in pubs and restaurants.
Do you smoke?
Old 16 January 2011, 11:13 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

i was on 15 or so a day and quit 7 years ago end of this month it was hard to begin with especially as mother in law smokes but hey not been tempted since glad i stopped good luck fingers crossed for you
Old 16 January 2011, 11:17 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
The one I saw was like a *** holder with a little battery in it. You screwed an imitation *** into with a capsule that had nicotine inside. Then when you have a drag you get the nicotine hit, the end lights up blue and steam(looks like *** smoke) comes from the end.
And you can use them in pubs and restaurants.
Do you smoke?
I do. But not during the day. Just with a glass of wine at night. Would be good to stop. Never seen those things though
Old 16 January 2011, 11:37 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I do. But not during the day. Just with a glass of wine at night. Would be good to stop. Never seen those things though
Hopefully Adam or somebody else that has used them will come back with more details. I did see the one Adam was using and at the time he was very impressed. They do look reasonably authentic, a *** in a holder except it glows blue. I suppose that's for if you were to use one in a pub.
Old 16 January 2011, 11:40 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Hopefully Adam or somebody else that has used them will come back with more details. I did see the one Adam was using and at the time he was very impressed. They do look reasonably authentic, a *** in a holder except it glows blue. I suppose that's for if you were to use one in a pub.
To he honest, it doesn't enter my head to have a smoke, unless I have a drink. Stupid I know.
These sound ideal to get me off them
Old 16 January 2011, 11:48 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I have some lee they are rolled up and smell of skunk weed
oh **** err they are plastic things i think

I do not smoke skunk or plastic things
Old 16 January 2011, 11:54 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

To he honest, it doesn't enter my head to have a smoke, unless I have a drink. Stupid I know.
These sound ideal to get me off them
Here you go

http://www.ecigarettestore.co.uk/
Old 17 January 2011, 12:04 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Thank you
Old 17 January 2011, 06:10 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

So you give up "smoking" to use the electronic version instead, this electronic one still keeps you hooked on nicotine ?

I`m not a smoker, tbh i hate the things with a passion, but i cant get my head around these e- things at all

Reminds me that i had a regular lung test last week as part of my new job (i spray isocyanate glue ) the lung test was apparently well above average (smoked once when i was about 12 and thought it was shoite )
Old 17 January 2011, 06:19 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Thank you
http://www.miragecigarettes.co.uk/

The one I bought was from these people.Did buy a cheap one from elsewhere and it was terrible!!

Micky..I know..it's mad...but its only the nicotene you get which you reduce or have none.Otherwise (as all these companies say) you don't get the 4000 other chemicals that you get in a cigarette,formaldahyde(sp) etc

ps,I don't smoke in pubs etc...I don't know why I'd want to incur the wrath of other people

Last edited by lozgti1; 17 January 2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 17 January 2011, 06:58 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

But with the e-cigarette you are still not breaking the smoking habit or the dependency on nicotine

The only advantage (as someone mentioned above) is you are not getting the thousands of other chemicals but you have to stop the nicotine.

It's like an alcoholic giving up whisky by switching to beer.

The only reason anyone continues to smoke is nicotine addiction (no matter what other reason you may kid yourself with).
Old 17 January 2011, 11:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't really recommend how I got free of them. I fell off the roof and had to spend some time in Hospital stuck in a bed without a ciggy. When I was able to walk again I thought I would try to stay off them anyway.

It worked but its a drastic way to do it!

Les
Old 17 January 2011, 10:32 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

But with the e-cigarette you are still not breaking the smoking habit or the dependency on nicotine

The only advantage (as someone mentioned above) is you are not getting the thousands of other chemicals but you have to stop the nicotine.

It's like an alcoholic giving up whisky by switching to beer.

The only reason anyone continues to smoke is nicotine addiction (no matter what other reason you may kid yourself with).
Nicotene isn't actually bad for you though.As I understand it

And I've saved £36 quid in one week!

You can reduce nicotene intake too...to nothing! Mind you,NHS quit program is same principal..anyway,enjoyed **** and now don't have to smoke them,smell of ****,keep washing my hands and brushing my teeth.

It's great!! smokers will understand all this a bit more
Old 17 January 2011, 10:58 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Think you are a bit naive thinking that nicotine is harmless....

PS Smoked for 21 years before I finally quit

The LD50 of nicotine is 50*mg/kg for rats and 3*mg/kg for mice. 40–60*mg (0.5-1.0*mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans.[49][50] Nicotine therefore has a high toxicity in comparison to many other alkaloids such as cocaine, which has an LD50 of 95.1*mg/kg when administered to mice. It is unlikely that a person would overdose on nicotine through smoking alone, although intoxication can occur through the excessive use of nicotine patches, gum, nasal sprays or oral inhalers intended as smoking cessation aids.[51][52] Spilling a high concentration of nicotine onto the skin can cause intoxication or even death, since nicotine readily passes into the bloodstream following dermal contact.[53]

The carcinogenic properties of nicotine in standalone form, separate from tobacco smoke, have not been evaluated by the IARC, and it has not been assigned to an official carcinogen group. The currently available literature indicates that nicotine, on its own, does not promote the development of cancer in healthy tissue and has no mutagenic properties. However, nicotine and the increased cholinergic activity it causes have been shown to impede apoptosis, which is one of the methods by which the body destroys unwanted cells (programmed cell death). Since apoptosis helps to remove mutated or damaged cells that may eventually become cancerous, the inhibitory actions of nicotine may create a more favourable environment for cancer to develop, though this also remains to be proven.[54]

Though the teratogenic properties of nicotine may or may not yet have been adequately researched, women who use nicotine gum and patches during the early stages of pregnancy face an increased risk of having babies with birth defects, according to a study of around 77,000 pregnant women in Denmark. The study found that women who use nicotine-replacement therapy in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy have a 60 percent greater risk of having babies with birth defects, compared to women who are non-smokers, the Daily Mail reported. The findings were published in the journal Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

Effective April 1, 1990, the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) of the California Environmental Protection Agency added nicotine to the list of chemicals known to the state to cause developmental toxicity, for the purposes of Proposition 65.[55]

Last edited by SiPie; 17 January 2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 17 January 2011, 11:04 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Well,I appreciate smoking is very bad for me..just want an alternative and so far so good!

Next step,lower nicotene if indeed no nicotene!

Honestly Si,I'm just so crap when it comes to something like this that anything that helps is good in my eyes!

Just hope it leads to no smoking or even vapour at some point!

Nice thing is though to have an untouched packet of cigarettes in the draw and no desire to light up! Understand what you are saying though
Old 17 January 2011, 11:24 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Well,I appreciate smoking is very bad for me..just want an alternative and so far so good!

Next step,lower nicotene if indeed no nicotene!

Honestly Si,I'm just so crap when it comes to something like this that anything that helps is good in my eyes!

Just hope it leads to no smoking or even vapour at some point!

Nice thing is though to have an untouched packet of cigarettes in the draw and no desire to light up! Understand what you are saying though
I think it is called "lack of will power".
I have no will power when it comes to something I enjoy, no matter how bad it is for me
Old 18 January 2011, 07:06 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Please don't get me wrong here....

Anytime you are not putting a cigarette in your mouth, then that is a great achievement for any ex smoker, just don't be tricked into why you find it difficult to or don't want to give up.

People come out with so many reasons:

ie. I have no will power
It helps me relax
I could give up if I wanted to
I've really cut down
I'll stop one day
I enjoy smoking
I only smoke socially
I only smoke when I drink
It's a habit
I've smoked for so long, it will be impossible to give up
I like the taste
Need a cigarette after a meal

All total bollocks

You are simply addicted to nicotine and it's the exact nature of the evil drug that has been slowly destroying your nervous system and leading you to believe all the excuses above.

All you need to do is stop the supply of nicotine and don't let your mind fall for any of the usual excuses.

It is simply drug addiction and the way to beat any addiction is NOT to keep taking the drug that you are addicted to

Old 18 January 2011, 07:31 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate smoking, in fact it killed most of my family ..

(Tobacco truck accident) lol no not really ..

Anyway .. the way I look at it, for non smokers, is could you give up masturbation ?

Old 18 January 2011, 08:11 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I hate smoking, in fact it killed most of my family ..

(Tobacco truck accident) lol no not really ..

Anyway .. the way I look at it, for non smokers, is could you give up masturbation ?

Think i'll try passive smoking then.

Quick Reply: Smokers! Think I found the answer!