Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Employment Law - Notice period

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2011, 06:19 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Employment Law - Notice period

Does anyone know much about employment law ?

A mate of mine as handed his notice in. His contracts state that he has to work 3months notice period. Understandably he only wants to work 1month notice - can the company enforce the 3months on him ?

I suggested he write an email to HR in an attempt to try and resolve it amicably - not entirely sure what to say though as the company are adamant he must do 3 months notice.

What makes things worse is that other people have left (6 months ago) and only had to work 1 months notice.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 15 January 2011, 06:48 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

what does he do, what sector?

how long as he worked there for?

I think to be honest he would be better contacting www.acas.co.uk they would be my first port of call

Last edited by Jamo; 15 January 2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 15 January 2011, 11:29 AM
200sex
Scooby Regular

yeah a contract is a contract and very hard to get out of tell him to be nice and kiss **** they might let him go early, its very clever of them putting a 3 month notice period cause really if he went and got a new job and then said oh i got to work 3 months notice i dont think the new employer would keep the job open for them as they advertised the job to fill asap, which in turn means the old employer dont have to replace staff
Old 15 January 2011, 12:18 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

He can leave after one month if they agree he is to be on gardening leave and he will not be able to work until the end of the notice period or I beleive the company he leaves can seek damages (if they so wish). I would imagine the only way out of it is to obtain a written agreement from the old employer stating he is releived of his current contract on X date then he would be free to start a new job after that agreed date.

It may be easier to reach an agreement if his new job is in a different field and does not present any possible conflict.

Just my logical approach but he is probably best speaking to a proffessional.
Old 15 January 2011, 12:38 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Don't know the legal implications of this, but my employer requires three months notice, but this is role based. Others who work for me are one month, and the temporary staff can walk at will.

It is a safeguard to ensure continuity in my case, but I am sure it could be negotiated downwards depending on circumstances. Surely he would have known the Ts and C's and declared them if his new employer asked.
Old 15 January 2011, 12:38 PM
seadog17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
Does anyone know much about employment law ?

A mate of mine as handed his notice in. His contracts state that he has to work 3months notice period. Understandably he only wants to work 1month notice - can the company enforce the 3months on him ?

I suggested he write an email to HR in an attempt to try and resolve it amicably - not entirely sure what to say though as the company are adamant he must do 3 months notice.

What makes things worse is that other people have left (6 months ago) and only had to work 1 months notice.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
do something horribly wrong without breaking the law so as to get sacked instantly for gross misconduct job sorted
Old 15 January 2011, 12:46 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

As above, all he can hope for is that HR is willing to reach an agreement over the notice period to be worked. If they don't budge on 3 months, all he can really do is work to the absolute letter of his contract until it's up, in the hope that the employer decides his inflexibility means they'd be better off agreeing to a reduced notice period.

Originally Posted by seadog17
do something horribly wrong without breaking the law so as to get sacked instantly for gross misconduct job sorted
As long as the new job is not conditional on a reference from the current employer.
Old 15 January 2011, 12:53 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

...... "speak to the Human Remains department" they'll just go to the line manager, speak to him first to see if he'll support your request - a lot easier when you then tackle those useless fecktards in HR

PS - It's Brian from accounts here
Old 15 January 2011, 09:31 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Call your boss a c*nt & you'll be on your way quick sharp

TX.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you sign a contract, it is reasonable to expect the firm to hold you to it. Its up to the boss if you can be released earlier.

Les
Old 16 January 2011, 12:04 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

I guess my mate has two options then :

1) Negotiate with the relevant people, with a view to compromising at 1Month
2) Just tell them he is leaving after 1 month, and take the risk that they dont chase him through the courts etc. Burning a few bridges in the process.
Old 16 January 2011, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He has to think of his reputation too, that sort of action can follow you about.

Les
Old 16 January 2011, 12:34 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Tell him to just phone in sick if they dont want to play ball !!
Old 16 January 2011, 12:44 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

If he's on 3 months notice chances are that he has a "good" job & there will be good reason for it eg clients need to be let down etc. As an employer I'd hold him to it if there was no one to take his place, if his role can be absorbed &/or he's an ******* then I'd let him go ASAP.

TX.

Edit - we had a chap on 3 months notice & let him go after 2 as TBH he was rubbish & I saw him just as a drain on margin ... was quite pleased he quit

Last edited by Terminator X; 16 January 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 16 January 2011, 01:17 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

When i was on a 12 week noitce period contract, I just told them (in a letter) that i'd be working 4 weeks notice & gave them the last day i'd be working.

But 'informally' i let my lead know that i didn't need a reference & didn't need the extra 8 weeks 'pay' ...I also let them know my new position would involve me creating a new 'team' of staff

They let me go (& paid me up) 4 days later