Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The recycling con!

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2011, 11:18 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The recycling con!

Interesting article at Engineers want £20bn for rubbish idea which neatly sums up the bandwaggon that tree huggers (and thus corrupt politicians and immoral moneymakers) are all jumping on...

Originally Posted by Andrew Orlowski
So why aren't we burning our waste, safely, and helping the old and the poor get through a freezing winter?

The most compelling reason I can find comes via a US study which estimated that incinerating 10,000 tons of waste took up one full-time job. Disposing of the same amount into of landfill needed six full-time employees. But recycling 10,000 tons of waste created "work" for 36 people.

Which gravy train do you think you'd choose?
mb
Old 14 January 2011, 11:31 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Over here we have huge incineration plants that burn our rubbish and in return drive massive turbines that generate electricity and steam, the electricity is fed intot he grid and the steam is used for district heating and hot water. I.e hot water is pumped into the houses of entire housing estates and is used for centralised heating systems so there is no need for houses to have their own boilers etc, hot water is on demand all the time and so is heating. This solution would ensure that pensioners don't go without heating or hot water ever, unless they themselves turned the rads off. Little thermostat things are stuck to the rads and they measure how much heat has been used by the rads and you are billed accordingly which is not very expensive. Hot water is also metered so you get one bill at the end of the year.

I know the UK is not setup for this type of system but there is no reason why new housing developments could not be built around it. I just guess in England it is not in anyones interest to invest in something like this.

A mate of mine works for the company in Switzerland that provided these monsterous incineration plants.
Old 14 January 2011, 02:26 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Correct the temp has to be high, the germans are not into emmissions so everything would have to be perfect so as not to pollute the atmospheare. I am not up on the ins and outs of these plants but we have one of the biggest and most efficient incinerator plant in Europe here in Böblingen. From what my mate was saying the turbine to process the steam etc is over a million quid. E-ON are supposed to be building one in the UK but no idea where or when it will be done.
Old 14 January 2011, 03:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It was supposed to be on the south bank of the Humber, but no idea if it's still going forward.
Old 14 January 2011, 04:09 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

They were banging on about this in Shropshire where I live - all about PM2.5's or something - got quite shirty in some of the Letters Pages

Needless to say it got kicked into the long grass......

But i seems to make perfect sense me - burn the landfill..... therefore No Landfill & (almost) Free Energy......
Old 14 January 2011, 05:21 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Down here in sunny Cornwall....

Dave
A-ha, a Cornishman no less! Now I get all the resentment and anti-Whitehall sentiment, Dave.

Do you have the Baner Peran affixed to your car?
Old 14 January 2011, 05:34 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

My maternal grandfather was a Cornishman and my father and his family were evacuated to Gunnislake from Plymouth during The Blitz.

So, are you holding out much hope for your own assembly?

Last edited by JTaylor; 14 January 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 16 January 2011, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Down here in sunny Cornwall they've just scuppered (I think that was what I last read - it may be on again now though .... ) one of those because of a) partly the NIMBYs but mainly b) the supposed pollution being belched out of the chimney! Not looked into it much but remember a TV bit from years ago where the incineration temperature has to be above a certain point to ensure this doesn't happen. I assume the plans called for the *cheap* option for us which is why there was this objection!

Dave
I think the discussion was about the location of the plant and I think it is yet to be decided.

Les
Old 17 January 2011, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well you can understand peoples' concerns Dave, especially if there is a risk of dioxin emissions. I have no idea if that is true or not.

I can understand what you mean in your second paragraph. We had a similar episode over a sewage disposal plant near here. They built it anyway of course but there have not been any problems so far at least.

Les