Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Done...

Damn good cause!
Old 07 January 2011, 01:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Would these fish actually be sold if they were allowed to be landed ?
Old 07 January 2011, 01:49 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I think that the data is way off - I am sure it is more than 50%.

And no they could not sell it - but that is the point - they shouldn't catch it to start with.

There are techniques to avoid catching certain species or underage fish (this is the most damaging) that might mean a small loss in yield.

I grew up in a tiny fishing village - there are no fish left now and out of the twenty or so boats - none are operating for fish - there are a few doing rod fishing charters and some doing crabs and lobsters.
Old 07 January 2011, 01:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Fishing has become too sophisticated !

..and our waters are polluted by the EU and every Tom Dick and Harry with a fishing boat the world over
Old 07 January 2011, 01:57 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Still see a few 50 footers off here pair trawling , right close in , hoovering up the remainder
Old 07 January 2011, 02:22 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

And no they could not sell it - but that is the point - they shouldn't catch it to start with.

There are techniques to avoid catching certain species or underage fish (this is the most damaging) that might mean a small loss in yield.

I grew up in a tiny fishing village - there are no fish left now and out of the twenty or so boats - none are operating for fish - there are a few doing rod fishing charters and some doing crabs and lobsters.
Easier said than done, unless you know how to make a net which only catches certain types of fish, for example fish for which a vessel only has quota for.
Old 07 January 2011, 02:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The other countries in the Eu take no notice of that regulation and we are the only saps who go along with it. We hear that undersize fish can be seen on sale in those countries.

The common fisheries policy has decimated the fish available in our waters and our own fishermen are the only ones who have always practised a policy of conservation. The other EU countries have fished our waters out!

Les
Old 07 January 2011, 05:26 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

the eu is ****, get us out and under our own jurisdiction
Old 07 January 2011, 05:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The madness of the EU where eurocats who have no clue about the fishing industry dream up polices and quotas.
Old 07 January 2011, 06:22 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

What they should do is give a quota, but if they catch more then they can bring it in to port to sell, but not catch any more.

Also if they are after one fish like Cod, if they catch other fish they cannot dispose of this fish, and ONLY catch a certain quota. If they catch that amount they are done fishing.

Fish should never be thrown over board, but then limits must exist.

I`d say ban all fishing in the North sea unless done my pleasure boats or shore fishing on a non commercial basis.
Old 07 January 2011, 07:32 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Which Hugh is this ?

Hugh Jackman or Hugh Grant
Old 07 January 2011, 09:27 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Leslie
The other countries in the Eu take no notice of that regulation and we are the only saps who go along with it. We hear that undersize fish can be seen on sale in those countries.

The common fisheries policy has decimated the fish available in our waters and our own fishermen are the only ones who have always practised a policy of conservation. The other EU countries have fished our waters out!

Les
I was talking to a trawler man from Scotland when I was on holiday in Spain.He said there were more Fisheries Inspectors in his one port in Scotland than there where in the whole of Spain.
Old 07 January 2011, 10:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
He said there were more Fisheries Inspectors in his one port in Scotland than there where in the whole of Spain.
...and paid for out of OUR taxes n'all i expect

mb
Old 08 January 2011, 11:09 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

This is all down to being part of the EU

See the Daily Express today http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...m-EU-dictators
Old 08 January 2011, 02:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
I was talking to a trawler man from Scotland when I was on holiday in Spain.He said there were more Fisheries Inspectors in his one port in Scotland than there where in the whole of Spain.
I believe what you say.

Les
Old 11 January 2011, 06:20 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When your cod quota has been slashed from 3000kg per month to 300kg it's pretty hard not to over catch. Cod stocks are nowhere near as bad as the brussels eurocats would have you think.
Old 11 January 2011, 09:14 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Seems like the best Fisherman in the world seem unable to catch only the fish they are allowed to catch without going over the quota. Seeing my family has been in the fishing industry for decades maybe you can shed some light on how to avoid over catching certain Fish? And why if certain stocks are so low why are we catching so many?
Old 11 January 2011, 11:19 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

signed up

glad someone is trying to do something about it e plains why beach fishing has changed over the last 13 years.

there are different type of nets which are slightly larger which will only pull up fish of a certain size it allows the little ones to get away. I read an article somewhere that says the complete opposite that big fish should be left alone as they do the breeding. take a sea bass for instance once it reaches a certain age it only grows an inch a year I was told by someone.

I personally think that commercial fishing has taken the **** and it should be stopped for a few years to allow the fish stock to rise again. at this rate a lot of marine life will go extinct. and maybe the people in the business should move in to the farmed industry for a bit. but I doubt any government will do that as they make good revenue from it.

a lot of this big trawlers when they dragging fish from the bottom of the sea they are also destroying fish habitat.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:25 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Seems like the best Fisherman in the world seem unable to catch only the fish they are allowed to catch without going over the quota. Seeing my family has been in the fishing industry for decades maybe you can shed some light on how to avoid over catching certain Fish? And why if certain stocks are so low why are we catching so many?
we Are catching much more fish now because of technology.
take Grimsby for example one of the biggest fishing ports in europe more than 25000 tons fought a day 50 years ago now it's all closed no more fishmarket as everything has been over fished.

anglers like me struggle to get anything half decent, please don't take this wrong way if your family do this for living then good for them. but something has to be done in order for our grand kids to enjoy what we once had in abundance
Old 12 January 2011, 10:02 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

i hate the eu and the japanese lol
Old 12 January 2011, 10:08 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of fish in the North Sea nowadays, problem is were not allowed to catch them.

The North Sea was over fished some 20-25 years ago, but due to massive decommisioning projects from the Government scrapping hundreds of boats and EU quotas fish stocks are now healthier than they have been for a long time.
Old 12 January 2011, 10:30 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Which Hugh is this ?

Hugh Jackman or Hugh Grant

Hugh Jarse

Sorry if im being slightly cynical but i suspect some of the publicty , similarly Jamies chicken thing, is to promote the presenter
Old 13 January 2011, 07:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

He is certainly right that we should eat many more species it would have to be said !
Old 13 January 2011, 08:13 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Done. You catch what you catch. If your prawn fishing you can't for say stick a sign on your net saying sorry we only want prawn.
Old 13 January 2011, 10:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Signed, all sounds like a good campaign to me. Will check with my chippie if they sell something other than cod and haddock
Old 14 January 2011, 12:04 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TurboAndy
Done. You catch what you catch. If your prawn fishing you can't for say stick a sign on your net saying sorry we only want prawn.
That is pretty much the case and what they do catch that isnt prawn has to be thrown back into the sea dead as they have no quota for them, what makes it worse is this is normally pretty good quality high priced fish such as Cod or Haddock.
Old 14 January 2011, 10:48 AM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

lets get this madness ended!!

Quick Reply: Hugh's fish fight: Back our fisherman